News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lubing Points

Started by cudaken, July 30, 2013, 04:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Yes, I am still running points!  :shruggy: I have a old Accel Duel point with the top bearing plate. I plan on using light grade machine oil on the upper plate. But what do I use for the point / lobes?  

Asked a kid (about 30) at O'Rilleys and he looked at me like I am nuts!  :lol: More than likely I am.  :cheers:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Dmichels

You can get straight weight oil at the lawn mower shop. If you have a felt wipe I would put a drop of 30w on it. I have used a tiny smear of grease on cam lobes when there is no felt wipe.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

A383Wing

I got a 10oz tube of official AC Delco distributor points lube here...about the size of a toothpaste tube...still almost full

Bryan

flyinlow

Quote from: cudaken on July 30, 2013, 04:58:41 PM

Yes, I am still running points!  ::

Cuda Ken

Hey congrats!  After the EMP attack you will have one of the few cars that still runs  :smilielol:

Use to put a small dab of grease on the side of the  points rubbing block on the direction the cam would be coming towards it.   Official Mopar point lube, if you have it.   :smilielol:

Dmichels

I saved my points distributer with a fresh set of points installed just for the end of the world and Mad Max way of life :cheers:
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

A383Wing

I saved mine as well...in fact it went with us on the trip to 'Dega in 99 just for a back up in case the electronic ignition went out

and it's still in the trunk of the car

flyinlow

I keep an old points distributor for road trips in case the MSD box dies.

cudaken

Quote from: flyinlow on July 31, 2013, 07:40:44 AM

Cuda Ken

Hey congrats!  After the EMP attack you will have one of the few cars that still runs  :smilielol:

Use to put a small dab of grease on the side of the  points rubbing block on the direction the cam would be coming towards it.   Official Mopar point lube, if you have it.   :smilielol:

Never thought about a EMP attack, what was that show that was on TV a few years ago about after a Nuclear War? I do remember there was a 68 or 69 GTX in it that got hit hard in the quarter panel.

Today I bought some Dielectric Greases, I was told it was all so a Spark Plug Lube? I ask the counter guy if they kept it next to the Muffler Bearings  :smilielol:

You think that will work?

On line I was looking at the Points and Condensers, my God $40.00 for one set of points and 1 Condenser?  :brickwall: Last set I bought was like $12.00, and I have dual points! I see electronic in my future :shruggy:!

But then again, besides me how many people still run points?  :shruggy:

Cuda Ken

I am back

A383Wing

Ken, I also got an old Accel dual point dist here sitting on shelf, it takes GM points that you adjust with allen wrench.

Bryan

cudaken

Quote from: A383Wing on July 31, 2013, 05:32:18 PM
Ken, I also got an old Accel dual point dist here sitting on shelf, it takes GM points that you adjust with allen wrench.

Bryan

I know Bryan, that is whats in my now and that is what I looked up on line!  :brickwall:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Dmichels

I do not know how well the silicone spark plug boot grease is at lubrication. I just used a finger smear of whatever wheel bearing grease I had on the shelf.
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Cooter

Do NOT forget to put a few drops Even on the electronic dist; in the top of shaft where the rotor button site to lube the advance weights. Little felt washer under rotor button. NOBODY lubes this. Even me sometimes.

Now, I keep a can of 3-in-one oil in the cars.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

yea...and that little felt thingy is often missing

Bob T

...a local mate of mine brought 16 sets of points off eBay for his 58 dual quad Fury and says that'll do him for the rest of his life  :icon_smile_big: Apocalypse be dammed, Johnny will still have a few sets left when the 4 Horsemen come riding through
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: cudaken on July 31, 2013, 05:29:01 PM
Quote from: flyinlow on July 31, 2013, 07:40:44 AM

Cuda Ken

On line I was looking at the Points and Condensers, my God $40.00 for one set of points and 1 Condenser?  :brickwall: Last set I bought was like $12.00, and I have dual points! I see electronic in my future :shruggy:!

But then again, besides me how many people still run points?  :shruggy:

Cuda Ken

Me! Although I'm thinking about upgrading to Pertronix in the future.
A Borg Warner replacement points & condenser for my Mopar dist was under $15 at O'reillys 2 yrs ago. 
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

resq302

Ive seen the Uni-set go for about that much made by Blue Streak which is the high quality brand of Standard.  From what I remember in our El Camino, it had either copper plating or something on it which made it conduct better and had the condenser attached to the set of points, hence the term, Uni-set.

Our newly acquired GTX convertible still has the points running in it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

cudaken

Quote from: Cooter on July 31, 2013, 10:27:22 PM
Do NOT forget to put a few drops Even on the electronic dist; in the top of shaft where the rotor button site to lube the advance weights. Little felt washer under rotor button. NOBODY lubes this. Even me sometimes.

Now, I keep a can of 3-in-one oil in the cars.

Details?

Pull the rotor and but a few drops under the rotor? I was looking at it to night and under the round base on the bottom I spotted a small hole, does oil go in there as well?

Anyone know where I can find a diagram for the distributor? I want o open it and see if the advances springs and weights still move.

I am some what stumped by the point gap and dwell settings. On 1 set of points I think the dwell should be 27 and both points 32?  :scratchchin:   I have tried goggle and have yet to find what I am looking for.

I am close to trying to start her, like with in 2 hours of work.

Cuda Ken
I am back

A383Wing

dwell should be 27-32....with 30* being ideal

if dist is installed, just try and turn the rotor and see of weights spring back & forth....if they do, yer good to go for now

flyinlow

FSM says 3 drops of 10 WT oil on the felt wick.

To test your advance mechanism. Grab the rotor and twist it in the direction of rotation. Let go, it should spring back. OR get your timing light out.

On Mopar distributors set the gap with the point rubbing block on one of the eight peaks on the cam. .016-.020" I think. Using a dwell meter about 28-30*

For dual points when checking the dwell you put a small piece of paper between one point set to insulate it. Set the dwell on one. Swap the paper to the other set, repeat.

Each set individually will be a lower dwell number then the single point distributor, but when used together the dwell number will be higher . (32-36 or so)    

A383Wing

crap...I fergot he had a dual point dist....

please ignore what I typed above