News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Normal Operation??? Basic Questions

Started by imabozo, July 24, 2013, 06:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imabozo

Hey guys,

I've been driving my 70 R/T every second weekend or so this summer. Probably ~50km rides, with the longest being ~200km. This is my first Charger. I've never owned an old car until I bought her this spring. Im starting to get used to the subtleties. It drives well, with the original 440 and 3 speed.

I have a few basic questions that I was hoping you guys could help with.

I have a small oil stain and transmission fluid stain in my garage. Probably a few drops per week. Both levels are ok. In chatting with a fella, he told me that these old cars all leak a little. Normal?

Another question regarding cold vs hot starts. I run the electric fuel pump for a few seconds and pump the gas a few times and she starts right up when cold. However after running for a while, it seems it takes a few tries to catch. Everything turns over fine, just won't catch right away. Normal?

Another question regarding the transmission. The three speed is a little slow to move when first placed in drive when cold. It won't budge at idle until a few seconds. After that initial period, each shift after is ok. The Sam fella above said that the torqueflights were lie this and that the fluid was drained down after being parked for a week.

Your experience and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

RECHRGD

Oil leaks will always been an issue with old cars.  After 40 plus years of mods and maintenance the pans are probably distorted from varying degrees of tightening over time.  Many different varieties of gaskets are available and some work better that others.  I wouldn't worry about the few drops you describe.  I actually got my '68 leak free for a couple of years, but now it appears to have a rear main seal leaking.  Never ends.

I run a close to original mechanical fuel pump, but no choke on the carb.  Cold starting requires several pumps on the pedal and feathering it once it starts.  No big deal.  Hard starting when hot is usually a heat issue.  A phenolic spacer between the carb and manifold fixed that problem for me.  Just be sure the timing is set correctly and there are no carb issues.

Yes, what you describe is normal for a 727.  After starting the car, let it run in neutral for 30 seconds or so and all the fluids will get into the right places.  It should operate normally from then on......
13.53 @ 105.32