News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil Drain Plug Size?

Started by cudaken, July 24, 2013, 05:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Won't go into details but lets just say :brickwall:

What sizes is the bolts and pitch of the thread?  :shruggy:

Cuda Ken
I am back

ws23rt

I understand why you don't want to talk about it.
The thread size is 1/2"x 20 threads per in.
By the look of the bolt you have I would say there is not much left in the hole. I would try running a 9/16"x 18 thread tap in the hole and find a short bolt plus a rubber gasket.

A383Wing

they make single, double, & triple oversize 1/2" drain plugs for just this problem...it's not a "permanent" fix, just good enough for maybe 3 oil changes before it does not work anymore

9/16" is too big...don't try that

cudaken

I bought a rubber expiation plug to tie me over till the engine is running or demand dead. I bought one that is 1/2 inch and it is to big.

So the 1/2 inch parts counts the threads, that explains why the plug I bought won't fit. Guessing a 7/16 should work.

By the way, when I was under the car today, the pan still has thread left. So maybe after I get her running, a tap might do the job with a new plug.

Cuda Ken
I am back

A383Wing

just go get the "1/2" single oversize" drain plug and thread it in to the pan...make sure you use a new gasket, it should come with one

Bryan

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on July 24, 2013, 06:55:52 PM
just go get the "1/2" single oversize" drain plug and thread it in to the pan...make sure you use a new gasket, it should come with one

Bryan

I agree :2thumbs: After reading the other thread it seems that there are still threads left in the hole and as 7/16 rubber plug will not fit.
But if the old threads are not cleared with a tap if could cause grief with a new plug. Antisieze of some sort will help a lot assuming a tap is not used.
The threaded plate in the pan has plenty of room for the next oversize thread.