News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Johnson lifter advice please

Started by bbody68, August 28, 2013, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbody68

Hi all , I contacted Paul at Topline Johnson lifters today about ordering a set of hydraulic lifters for my 440. He was very helpful and sent my some info on their lifters via email. Now I would like some advice from forum members as to which lifters would be best for my engine. They sell three types of lifters , Oem, anti pump up fast bleed down & slow bleed down . They also have a choice of narrow & wide oil band?
Engine specs are as follows , 30 thou over 440, trw forged flat tops (10-1 comp) , stock 440 source stealth al heads with crane adjustable rockers, comp cams xe 274h cam 488/491 lift,230/236 dur @ 50, 110 deg lobe sep. the engine is going into a 68 charger,727 with 2200 stall,3.23 gear 2.5 inch tti exhaust with factory hp exhaust manifolds. I am more interested in low to mid range torque and drivability than top end performance.
Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brad

bbody68

Oops! Forgot to include edelbrock performer rpm intake and 780 vac sec Holley to engine specs.
Thanks
Brad

68CoronetRT

Whoa! I was reading your first post and I could have swore I posted that based on your engine specs. :rofl: I have almost the exact same build except a Lunati cam. :coolgleamA:

Firefighter should chime in with some good insite!

firefighter3931

Hi Brad, that sounds like a nice build and should make descent power.  :2thumbs:

I would go with the standard replacement lifters using the narrow oil band and set the pre-load @ .020-.030 and call it good.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

justcruisin

I have a similar build, I used the standard johnson lifters with the narrow band, pre-load is at .030". Runs great. I run the engine to 6000rpm at times, haven't had a problem.

bbody68

Thanks for your advice guys,I was thinking that the Oem type lifters would be the ones to use for my build.Helped me to confirm that i was on the right track.
Thanks again
Brad