News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Backing out on a sale

Started by young99, July 19, 2013, 08:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

young99

This is more of a rant but wondered if something like this has happened to you. I have been looking for local Chargers within my price range for quite a while. I finally found one about a hour away. I went yesterday to check the car out spent about an hour and half combing over the car. I told the seller i wanted the car would be back tomorrow with cash and trailer. We agreed on the price I shook his hand my mechanic friend was even there to help me view the car.

He started text messaging me today making sure I was coming to get it. I stayed in contact saying, yes I am coming after work. Even on the way there he was making sure I was coming. I replied yes I was coming to get it.

I get there he has the car pulled out ready to load. I pull out the bill of sale while my friend is airing up the tires. He backed out saying I cant sell it.

I left work early, spent a good 6 hours of travel back and forth between the 2 days. and lots of gas. I'm so f-ing mad.

Cooter

People get cold feet...People phish....People also regret selling...This is why it is always best to have money in hand before they can think it over....

Then, there's the general asswipe who almost ALWAYS tells seller....."Damn dude, you know what BJ let one go for last night? Your crazy to sell for that!!!"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

young99

your right. what gets me really mad is that the car has been for sale for such a long time. The whole deal was really strange.

cudaken

I kind of back out of a sale.

While I never listed m 68 Road Runner for sale, I had many people drop by wanting to buy. Guess it has been a month and a half now guy name Al dropped by with $5,000.00 in cash. Told him it was not for sale, but he had got me thinking.  :scratchchin:

Called him a few days later and told him there is a 90% chances your getting the car. Never called him back :nana: and I have been working on her again.

Cuda Ken
I am back

ACUDANUT

That is why you should have had a trailer and the cash, ready the first time around. :Twocents:

Rallyecharger

I have bought a lot of cars over the years and the one thing I always do is secure the deal with a deposit/bill of sale.......  the one thing that I find that always happens especially with cool collectible cars is that there can be sellers remorse or even worse and what I believe happened here is buddies of the seller coming by saying that they will buy it.
Nothing worse than an unsecured deal because someone will see the car sitting there waiting to be picked up and paid for and they will inquire about it  " hey want to sell that Charger ?"  owner " have a guy that is supposed to be bringing X amount of cash "  inquirer " I'll give you $500 more than they will"....... then the owner either goes for it or doesn't want to sell because he thinks he may have priced it too cheap..... :Twocents:

Old Moparz

It get's frustrating, but don't get too mad at the guy. He could very well have sincerely changed his mind & wanted to hang onto it. He could've dumped his nagging, car hating woman, too. The only thing you may have done different was to make sure you told him to hang onto your contact info in case he definitely decides to sell. At that point you've already inspected the car & can just hand him the cash. You're also in a slightly better position to maybe get it even cheaper.

Before I bought my Charger I had looked at one semi local, about 30 minutes away. The car was decent & the price was realistic but I had to think it over. When I called back 2 days later the seller told me he had a lot of interest in the car & conversations with potential buyers that started to reignite his interest in it so he decided to keep it. I wished him luck & asked him to save my number in case he changed his mind, but never heard back.

Be patient, one will turn up when you back off from the all out, Charger hunt mode you're in.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

charger_fan_4ever

Sucks

#1 rule I  go by is when you intend to buy something bring cash. I will never pay in full and leave it there, so if i have to come back to get it I make sure to put a deposit down on it.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 20, 2013, 11:22:30 AM
That is why you should have had a trailer and the cash, ready the first time around. :Twocents:
:iagree: make sure to have crisp $100.00 bills.

My last 68 I bought was paid for by PayPal.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

bull

A similar thing happened to me during my year-long search for a Charger. Heard about a '69 a guy had, went to look at it and brought a friend to help me look it over. We agreed to a price and then I tried to leave him a deposit but he refused saying "the car isn't going anywhere. It's been sitting here for a couple of years, it's not listed for sale...," etc. I tried to insist on the deposit but he kept refusing so we shook on it and I went home. About five hours later he calls me and tells me that some guy just showed up out of the blue and bought it. Right. The a-hole called up some buddy of his and told him what was going on and that he'd better high-tail it over with the cash or it would be gone.

Oh well. I got a '68 instead, which is what I really wanted. :2thumbs: Try to look at it that way - there's a good chance an unforeseen circumstance probably saved you a lot of hassle. Keep looking.

Bob T

Yep, similar thing here. Had talked to the guy twice during the day and had organized to be over in the morning with a transporter and cash to pick up the car and the parts car next to it.
I then thought, right , I'll hit the buy now to make it binding and called him back 20 minutes after that to tell him . His daughter answered and lots of 3 way discussion followed before he came to the phone.
He then told me someone turned up with cash just then so he sold it - and this was after he agreed that we'd meet in the morning at 11! Prick. He wouldn't budge on his new deal so I called him his pedigree a few times over and hung up.

It turned out hugely for the better in the long run, the car had lots of structural rust & trim missing, so I found out a couple of months later from a mate that knew the new buyer. And I found a much better car a few weeks later anyway  :2thumbs:

Unlucky that your deal went bad but Keep looking as you never know what turns up soon.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Budnicks

Quote from: young99 on July 19, 2013, 08:49:35 PM
This is more of a rant but wondered if something like this has happened to you. I have been looking for local Chargers within my price range for quite a while. I finally found one about a hour away. I went yesterday to check the car out spent about an hour and half combing over the car. I told the seller i wanted the car would be back tomorrow with cash and trailer. We agreed on the price I shook his hand my mechanic friend was even there to help me view the car.

He started text messaging me today making sure I was coming to get it. I stayed in contact saying, yes I am coming after work. Even on the way there he was making sure I was coming. I replied yes I was coming to get it.

I get there he has the car pulled out ready to load. I pull out the bill of sale while my friend is airing up the tires. He backed out saying I cant sell it.

I left work early, spent a good 6 hours of travel back and forth between the 2 days. and lots of gas. I'm so f-ing mad.
Yes that type of deal really royally sucks  :brickwall:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Chargerguy74

My problems are usually with the buyers backing out. One truck I received $1500 down and $2000 owing 3 months overdue, and the guy just walked away from it. Think I could resell the thing, just no interest in it this time around. The other one I haven't seen a dime after the deal was made.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

myk

Wow 'OP that sucks, however I have to say that's really odd seeing that it's the seller that backed out instead of the buyer.  Selling a prized possession like a car is something that people may have to face in life; it seems this seller can't make up their mind.  Personally, I wouldn't have wasted your time-either find another way to get the funds you need or live in the car instead; that's what I would've done...

6spd68

I had a similar experience on my path to getting a 68.

1st time, was going to trade my T-bird plus 6500$ for a mint shell that just needed driveline and some interior. (HAD THE F***ING DANA-60 REAR END TOO!  :brickwall: :flame: )  Then I got outbid 3 days before pick-up.  In all fairness, I had 3 cars and a bike at the time, plus financially it may have stung a lil more.

2nd time, Much like OP, had the trailer ready, pulled the add looking for a Charger that I had to PAY 25$ to put online (Had 2 other car adds up trying to sell mine).  Everything was in order and the douche canoe backs out on me over e-mail.  Much like the OP, back and forth over e-mail for 2 months, then back and forth on the phone EVERYDAY for 2 weeks prior to the pick-up date.

Finally, just caved and spent 16k plus the 7 hour drive to get the one I have now.  To be honest, the 1st would have been the best for me as it was the furthest along and had the best collection of parts. (MINT MINT MINT Grille), but hey, I'll make this one something to be very proud of  :2thumbs:

Young99, they're out there, just don't give up.  You'll have to deal with a forest of retards, but eventually you'll find one to call your own.

All the best,
-Brett
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

F8-4life

Buying project cars from volatile old men is kinda like dating, the right word goes a long way and the wrong one ends the deal.

4cruzin

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 20, 2013, 11:22:30 AM

Tough to negoiate a good price while sitting there with a trailer IMO.  I don't like to look to anxious while trying to make a deal on a car.   :shruggy:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

ACUDANUT

I'd say, "It easy to tow a empty trailer back home too"

4cruzin

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 23, 2013, 09:56:04 AM
I'd say, "It easy to tow a empty trailer back home too"

Agreed!   :cheers:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Chargerguy74

I'm less inclined to move on a price when a buyer shows up with a trailer. If its a rented trailer...I'm firm. I had two different guys rent trailers, drive 4 hours to my place, and then try to negotiate....I don't think so. Both cars left with them.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

NGC414

I have had that happen to me a couple times. Both times were strange. The last was just a few weeks ago. I set up a time to see a local car for sale. I tried to get something set up to see it asap. I showed up 15-20min early with cash to see the car I intended on buying on the spot.
The guy wasnt home yet and the nighbor kept looking over as I sat in his driveway so I left to get a cup of coffee. about 10min later I return, pull in the drive and see the guy in the garage with the neighbor looking at the car. When I got out he apologized and said his neighbor bought the car.  :brickwall:

ACUDANUT

NGC414

I was going to look at his 65 mustang convertible. Thats what the neighbor got before I made it back. I later found out the guy also had a 2 door 57 chevy belair no post tucked away in his barn... Which is now sitting in my garage  :coolgleamA:

ACUDANUT

Hmmm, maybe he knew it was you ? Or did you buy the Chevy after the Mustang deal went bad ?

Budnicks

Quote from: F8-4life on August 23, 2013, 09:11:43 AM
Buying project cars from volatile old men is kinda like dating, the right word goes a long way and the wrong one ends the deal.

That about covers it...  :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks