News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

JB weld

Started by Bob, July 19, 2013, 06:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

What is better than JB weld for pot metal?

DC_1

I've used JB on a cast intake for my lawnmower. It worked well and hasn't let go for probably going on 15yrs. Just grind a good "V" in the area to give it something to bite into

Nwcharger

Prep is everything. I used jb weld on a radiator top tank over ten years ago and never had a problem. Also used it when I was 11 to fix a cracked case on my yz125. It really works good as long as the prep work is done right.  :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

Bob

Cool, thanks guys.

Bob

JB400

We've used it to fix Briggs and Stratton engine blocks for our go karts when the rods came out.  Stock pistons for those just don't hold up too well.

Tilar

I used to use Titanium Putty from Devcon for a lot of repairs and it holds up very well. You can drill and tap this stuff but it is very expensive for the amount you get.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Bob

Well, the tab I was trying to reattach with JB weld did not hold. I cleaned and sanded the two surfaces very well. I'll have to try tilars stuff.

Tilar

How thick is this pot metal?
Dave  

Bob

Quote from: Tilar on July 20, 2013, 06:23:08 PM
How thick is this pot metal?
I would say about 1/8 inch. It' a mounting tab on my hideaway headlight  surround that the grill/flip up door goes in.

areibel

It doesn't do great as a glue on a stressed part unless you reinforce it.  Can you drill a 1/8 hole through and pin it?  Coat the pin and the mating surfaces with the stuff then clamp it tight.  I'm not sure what the part you're fixing looks like, can you post a pic?

Bob

This morning finished what little I had to do to complete the 1972 hideaway assembly into my 74 bumper. The tab did little to strengthen the assembly so I left it off. Everything is tight.

Tilar

Dave  

Bob