News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 Engine

Started by Cole317, July 09, 2013, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole317

Hey again guys, it's been quite a while since i've been on here...
Since my Charger project I have a 340 engine left over and I was wondering what it was worth. Any help is appreciated.
Here it is!

472 R/T SE

Have you checked for partial VIN #'s?

Troy

I've been trying to sell one off and on for 3 years or so. If that 'X' is on the heads then they're (possibly) worth as much as the rest of it combined. Prices seem to be all over and depend heavily on year and condition. The 68-70 dated ones will be worth more (and, if those heads are original then it's one of these). That carb looks like a later model though. Get the casting dates and various stampings and it will be a lot easier. A 1970 dated intake, carb, and air cleaner are worth a lot more than any of the others. My guess is $700-1,500 if it hasn't been rebuilt. It will only be worth more rebuilt if you have documentation AND it's what the buyer wants. I saw one on Craigslist locally that the guy wanted $4k for with no documentation. I predict he will have it for a while.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cole317

Yes it has the X Heads, I will put up the partial vins in a few hours. Im trying to sell this thing but the offers are all over the place. I dont want to get burned and i dont want to burn anyone else. Thanks guys

Cole317

heres the numbers i could pull...

Driver's side vin: 31255

Passenger side vin above oil pan: B186946

Front of block, driver's side: HM 340R 36990070

Casting #: 2780930-340-8

Front of intake manifold: 10.11.71

Back of intake manifold: 3611025-1

Back of carb: 61595A          059  4
Front of carb: 39
top of carb: 6-2146

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Cole_Reichenbach/library/

472 R/T SE

Looks like it came out of a '72.

Troy

My original guess is that it was a later model but the "X" heads threw me off. Those don't appear to be original. I have a 72 dated 340 that came out of a Charger Rallye. I bought it for $1,000 when I thought it was a 71 and have tried to sell it for just about anything down to about $600 with no takers. It has the 'J' heads which are correct for that year. In your case, the 'X' heads sometimes sell for as much as $500 by themselves if they haven't been cut or ported. The later engines seem to be popular with the racers because they are a bit cheaper and the intakes are better for low end torque. Apparently all the racers near me are overstocked on 340s... :eyes:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

DadsCharger00

Know a guy whose looking for a 340 for a duster....in colorado.  How much guys?

ws23rt

Ahh---The old how much is it worth question.
You hit on the biggest hurdle which is (I don't want to feel like a fool).
Knowledge is power and the knowledge from above should give you a good start. I don't have experience with 340s but I would take what I learned here and start looking for a 340 as though I wanted to buy one.
Ask questions only about what you know. Listen to what the sellers have to say.
After a few encounters you will get a better feel for the worth of your engine as well as sense of who the buyer is when one is looking at your engine.
The other thing to consider is we are talking about a few hundred bucks either way. So how much effort are you willing to spend?$$
Giving someone a good deal in the interest of moving on will feel much better than getting the best deal possible and not feeling like a fool.

65post

My 1st car at 14 was a 1970 340  duster.

i thought the early 68-70 or 71 heads were "J" heads with 2.02 valves. i thought X heads were mopar performance heads from back in the day. Maybe i'm thinking of the W2 heads now that i have typed this lol.

Opps post from my brothers account lol
Should have been charger_fan_4ever
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Cooter

340 for anywhere between $500.00-$1500.00 depending on who just has to have that little "340" magic number....

360 [.040 under 340 with more crank in it] for anywhere between $free and $400.00.

My money is on the 360 selling first.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"