News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tracking down an engine

Started by GpB311, July 19, 2013, 05:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GpB311

Have any of you used websites to try and find local used engines?  Ive tried craigslist(within a few hundred miles), ebay, google in general, as well as any local salvage yard/pick your part places Ive found and so far no luck except for engines that are rebuilt or not what I want.

Im trying to track down a 318 V8 thats in good shape, but could use a rebuild to one degree or another, so it can be a project of mine. Ive been told that 318s are all over and practically given away, so Im wondering what other websites I should try or where I should put in the leg work to go to... I made a wanted ad here as well after it was recommended to me by another member.

Troy

Not many people advertise 318s. It's also a lot easier to find drive train parts here in the Midwest since the bodies rust away long before the mechanical components fail.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Daytona R/T SE

Place a "Wanted 318" ad in the classifieds on here.

Most guys are glad to have someone haul a 318 off for free.

I know I've given a few away.  :Twocents:

oops :eek2:

You already did that. ::)

71ChallengeHer

I know where there are 6 340's at.

GpB311

Im hoping to find one locally in the Southern California area, so Ill keep trying craigslist and local shops.  Is an engine like this the kind of thing I should try and get someone who is more knowledgeable than me to come and look at before paying anything for it?

I know this link or one to a similar story has been posted here before, but this is what Im essentially looking to put together.  Even if I dont quite hit the numbers they do, I want to put together something decent and reliable.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/viewall.html

I know it wont be "dirt cheap" since it will be a mix of me doing what I feel I can handle and paying professionals to help with the things I dont know enough about, but I still think I can keep the costs within reason if Im willing to take the time to put it together right.

Dino

Just out of curiosity...why a 318?  What will you be using the car for?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

toocheaptosmoke

car-part.com for listings of salvage yards, where I found the 318 and tranny for my car. 

GpB311

Quote from: Dino on July 22, 2013, 11:02:41 AM
Just out of curiosity...why a 318?  What will you be using the car for?

From what I had read when I started putting my plan together, 318s were supposed to be an easy to find, cheap small block project that would be a good spot for a beginner like me to start.  My current cars little 2.2 inline 4 is the only engine Ive really worked on and taken apart. Ive had people tell me to start with a small block with more displacement, but I guess I liked the idea of building up "just a 318" to have some decent power.

Oh and Im looking for a third gen charger for generally casual, daily use.  I decided Im going to keep my current car as a back up, but Id love to build a classic daily driver.

GpB311

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 22, 2013, 11:47:06 AM
car-part.com for listings of salvage yards, where I found the 318 and tranny for my car. 

Cool, Ill start checking out what I can find now. Thanks!

Dino

Quote from: GpB311 on July 22, 2013, 12:20:10 PM
Quote from: Dino on July 22, 2013, 11:02:41 AM
Just out of curiosity...why a 318?  What will you be using the car for?

From what I had read when I started putting my plan together, 318s were supposed to be an easy to find, cheap small block project that would be a good spot for a beginner like me to start.  My current cars little 2.2 inline 4 is the only engine Ive really worked on and taken apart. Ive had people tell me to start with a small block with more displacement, but I guess I liked the idea of building up "just a 318" to have some decent power.

Oh and Im looking for a third gen charger for generally casual, daily use.  I decided Im going to keep my current car as a back up, but Id love to build a classic daily driver.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 318 and they can be built pretty aggressively.  However, you'll have a better daily driver type car if you leave it fairly stock.  I would only give so much HP to a 318 if I planned on not driving it on the street.  If the hp numbers are important you may as well grab a 440.  That'll have close to those numbers without much of any modification and it'll be easy enough to drive a high torque, high hp engine while keeping it streetable.

318 or 440, you can learn to work on both.  I don't think either one is cheap and 440's can be found easily as well.

Again, nothing wrong with the 318!  It all depends on what you want in that car when it's done.

Have you driven a 3rd gen with a stock 318?  It's not as tame as you might think.  Great daily drivers, excellent gas mileage for the era as well.  Tune the heck out of it and all that goes out the window.

If you want a car to turn heads on the track because it's a small block, you're going to need a lot of dough to get it there.

cudaken

GB, I must say I was pretty impressed with the power output with a mild cam and half way worked over 360 heads. I am all so have to add I pretty much know nothing about small blocks.

Food for thought, with you having problems finding a 318, I would all so look at a 360.

One of the reason I rather build a 440 vs a 383 is the parts cost all most the same! Pretty much with in 10% of each other so I rather have bigger! :shruggy:

Check to see what the cost would be for a 360 engine kit vs a 318, if they are close I would look at a 360. But that way you will have more to pick from. I would all so do a little reading on the 360. One of the things that struck me was the stock rods and crank could take 6500 RPM's pretty much stock!  :2thumbs: With the 360 having a bigger bore, the rotating mass weights more and may not handle the kind of RPM's the article was calming and need to make that kind of power. 400 + HP from a 318 :2thumbs:

One of the reasons you may having problems finding 318's is no one wanted them back in the day. So no one huge onto them and they where just taking up room. If I remember right your in California, that may hurt your search with all the Tree Hugging Politicians that want to scrap anything old and fun! :brickwall:

Check in the Performances Corner to ask about the durability of a 360 if you don't all ready know.

Good luck on your quest!
Cuda Ken

PS, what is it going into anyway, or are you looking for a car as well?

I am back

Dino

EFI 360.  Definitely something I would consider.

GpB311

Youre probably right that I should keep in mind that odds are Ill never take it to the track and just want it to be powerful, but reasonable while driving on the street. Id still like to rebuild the engine to be strong, but maybe pushing for 400Hp is a little overzealous given what I really want. haha

GpB311

Quote from: cudaken on July 22, 2013, 02:40:53 PM

GB, I must say I was pretty impressed with the power output with a mild cam and half way worked over 360 heads. I am all so have to add I pretty much know nothing about small blocks.

Food for thought, with you having problems finding a 318, I would all so look at a 360.

One of the reason I rather build a 440 vs a 383 is the parts cost all most the same! Pretty much with in 10% of each other so I rather have bigger! :shruggy:

Check to see what the cost would be for a 360 engine kit vs a 318, if they are close I would look at a 360. But that way you will have more to pick from. I would all so do a little reading on the 360. One of the things that struck me was the stock rods and crank could take 6500 RPM's pretty much stock!  :2thumbs: With the 360 having a bigger bore, the rotating mass weights more and may not handle the kind of RPM's the article was calming and need to make that kind of power. 400 + HP from a 318 :2thumbs:

One of the reasons you may having problems finding 318's is no one wanted them back in the day. So no one huge onto them and they where just taking up room. If I remember right your in California, that may hurt your search with all the Tree Hugging Politicians that want to scrap anything old and fun! :brickwall:

Check in the Performances Corner to ask about the durability of a 360 if you don't all ready know.

Good luck on your quest!
Cuda Ken

PS, what is it going into anyway, or are you looking for a car as well?

The 360 has been brought up to me a few times now, so maybe its time I just listen and look into what options I can find in that as well. haha  I was also told that big block = big costs, so thats one reason Ive been focusing on the SB end of things.

Im looking for a third gen to put the engine into, but financially Im in a better place to start putting things together for the engine as I save for the car.

71ChallengeHer

My 318 runs great. And my buddy built a 10 sec 318 in the 1/4 . Solid lifters and cam.  :2thumbs:    Nothing wrong with it. I built mine the way I wanted it. . Good luck  :2thumbs:  

GpB311

So I have found a few craigslist ads for 318s, so heres what Im looking at right now.

"Original engine from my 68 Dodge truck for $500. 72000 miles, valve covers off just to show insides. Water pump and alternator turn freely. Also have auto transmission for $150 more"
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3872996948.html

"Complete running Dodge 318, with trans, rear end, radiator, Can hear run all for $525,"
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3878855172.html

Heres a couple for 360 engines

360 cid Dodge Engine (Morpar). Also have 2 new lobe 671 Weilan Blower Rotors - $400
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3950597099.html

360 from 1977 motor home. 93k miles...$400
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/3942982908.html

GpB311

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on July 22, 2013, 02:51:41 PM
My 318 runs great. And my buddy built a 10 sec 318 in the 1/4 . Solid lifters and cam.  :2thumbs:    Nothing wrong with it. I built mine the way I wanted it. . Good luck  :2thumbs:  

Dang, now that must have turned some heads with the big block crew!

GpB311

Quote from: GpB311 on July 22, 2013, 03:56:08 PM
So I have found a few craigslist ads for 318s, so heres what Im looking at right now.

"Original engine from my 68 Dodge truck for $500. 72000 miles, valve covers off just to show insides. Water pump and alternator turn freely. Also have auto transmission for $150 more"
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3872996948.html

"Complete running Dodge 318, with trans, rear end, radiator, Can hear run all for $525,"
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3878855172.html

Heres a couple for 360 engines

360 cid Dodge Engine (Morpar). Also have 2 new lobe 671 Weilan Blower Rotors - $400
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3950597099.html

360 from 1977 motor home. 93k miles...$400
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/3942982908.html

Would just buying something like a "rebuildable core" make sense given what Im looking to do?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221228259412&item=221228259412&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

cudaken

GP said " I'm looking for a third gen to put the engine into, but financially I'm in a better place to start putting things together for the engine as I save for the car. "

Hum, me thinks you have the cart in front of the horse there GB. While I know the need to feel like you are doing something (I have bought a lot of stuff that I have yet to use that has spent years sitting in the garage) I think you are making a mistake with your limited funds!

With you looking for a car rather it be a 3rd gen Charger or any Mopar you have no idea what yo are going to find! What if you find a scream deal on a 73 Charger that came with either a 400 or 440, what are you going to do with a fresh nasty 318?  ::) Or you find a sweat Mopar that is a good running driver, but you are $2000.00 short because you have that nasty 318 and you lose out on the car?

Far as selling the fresh never started nasty 318. If you have $3500.00 in the engine, you be real lucky to get $800.00. 

Save up and buy a car, even if it is just a little above a parts car! There will all wise be someone looking for a project if you can do it.

One last word of wisdom, if it is Mopar, nothing is cheap! If you need cheap, get a Bow Tie car.  :-\

Cuda Ken
I am back

Dino

Quote from: cudaken on July 22, 2013, 05:50:07 PM
GP said " I'm looking for a third gen to put the engine into, but financially I'm in a better place to start putting things together for the engine as I save for the car. "

Hum, me thinks you have the cart in front of the horse there GB. While I know the need to feel like you are doing something (I have bought a lot of stuff that I have yet to use that has spent years sitting in the garage) I think you are making a mistake with your limited funds!

With you looking for a car rather it be a 3rd gen Charger or any Mopar you have no idea what yo are going to find! What if you find a scream deal on a 73 Charger that came with either a 400 or 440, what are you going to do with a fresh nasty 318?  ::) Or you find a sweat Mopar that is a good running driver, but you are $2000.00 short because you have that nasty 318 and you lose out on the car?

Far as selling the fresh never started nasty 318. If you have $3500.00 in the engine, you be real lucky to get $800.00. 

Save up and buy a car, even if it is just a little above a parts car! There will all wise be someone looking for a project if you can do it.

One last word of wisdom, if it is Mopar, nothing is cheap! If you need cheap, get a Bow Tie car.  :-\

Cuda Ken

Word. 

GpB311

Quote from: cudaken on July 22, 2013, 05:50:07 PM

With you looking for a car rather it be a 3rd gen Charger or any Mopar you have no idea what yo are going to find! What if you find a scream deal on a 73 Charger that came with either a 400 or 440, what are you going to do with a fresh nasty 318?  ::) Or you find a sweat Mopar that is a good running driver, but you are $2000.00 short because you have that nasty 318 and you lose out on the car?

One last word of wisdom, if it is Mopar, nothing is cheap! If you need cheap, get a Bow Tie car.  :-\

Cuda Ken

Yea, youre probably right about keeping things in check before just tossing out money. Cant help the itch to get the show on the road I guess. haha

I still appreciate the info Im getting and figure itll come in handy when the time comes.