News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why do my hide-aways do this? Picture attached

Started by AKcharger, July 17, 2013, 11:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Is it simply a mater of removing and rotating the rod one additional time or is there more to it?

Fred

Looks like it's just not adjusted properly.   :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

AKcharger

Well That's the question, how are they adjusted? It's not an issue of rigging the stops and it doesn't seem to be an internal motor issue as  I can manually run the doors down freely.

I never had this issue on my '70...stupid 3rd gens  :eek2:

71charger_fan

When you crank them down with the knob on the motor, do they stay down or do they pop back up?

AKcharger

They stay down and line up fine but as soon as I put lights on and open/close doors they go out of alignment. It's almost like that little bit of spring tension is keeping it form going down all the way, but it's really not that much...I don't recall having those springs on my '70, guess its because doors are heavier

71green go

Quote from: AKcharger on July 18, 2013, 01:02:46 PM
They stay down and line up fine but as soon as I put lights on and open/close doors they go out of alignment. It's almost like that little bit of spring tension is keeping it form going down all the way, but it's really not that much...I don't recall having those springs on my '70, guess its because doors are heavier

I am betting the limit switch inside your motor is cutting off power before they fully close.....how old is the motor?...

Rolling_Thunder

i would crank it down by hand with the large knob on the motor - if that doesnt work check where your limiting switches are adjusted... 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

71 SE3834V

Yeah mine do the same thing. Like it's said above, my understanding is the limit switch inside the motor needs to be adjusted. From what I've read it's a hit & miss kinda adjustment. You have to keep trying until you get it right.
Kind of a low priority for me w/everything else that needs to be done. As long as they open when I need it I'm good considering they weren't working at all a short time ago.  ;D
If you tackle it let us know how it went.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

AKcharger

A383Wing

Topher

The manual shows where to place the limit switch arms when adjusting. I have a copy of it hanging above my workbench that I follow when adjusting each motor I build. Just for spits and wiggles, what happens if you take one of the helper springs loose?
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

ottawamerc

:iagree:

If you crank the manual knob it will still continue past the internal limit switches but once it is operated electrically it will stop in the same place every time. Easy fixhttp://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82604.0.html

Be careful pulling it apart make sure the alignment marks are correct then have at it :2thumbs:

Scott
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

AKcharger

Well the motor was just rebuilt by an expert who is pretty sharp, I'll try removing one of the helper springs.

ottawamerc

Quote from: AKcharger on July 20, 2013, 07:35:35 PM
Well the motor was just rebuilt by an expert who is pretty sharp, I'll try removing one of the helper springs.

:badidea:

I guarantee its in the motor

::)
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

A383Wing

71 SE3834V

Hey guys, question....when mine stop on the way down they are uneven not like AK's which look like they are pretty even when they stop. I can turn the manual knob and close both all the way though the one bottoms out before the other. Is there an alignment issue other than the limit switch or is this something the springs are for, to allow for some differences in the rods.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Topher

There's just one rod that goes from one side to the other. The springs are intended to help raise the doors and keep them up without putting all the strain on the gear. I suggested that one spring be removed to see if it helped with the issue at hand. The switch arms are adjustable, but each time I adjust a set, they are only happy in one position. If they're left toward the inside, they will stay tripped and not allow the motor to run in the opposite direction. If they're too far toward the outside, they will allow the gear to jam against the stop and they may not run in the other direction without some help getting un stuck.

What do the holes look like in the mounting bracket for the motor? Are the holes large enough for you to take the 3 bolts loose and rotate the motor enough that the doors close all the way?

As for the one side being higher than the other, you may be able to take 2 adjustable wrenches and adjust them to where they grab the rod, and tweak it a little to help align the doors.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

ottawamerc

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on July 21, 2013, 02:47:04 PM
Hey guys, question....when mine stop on the way down they are uneven not like AK's which look like they are pretty even when they stop. I can turn the manual knob and close both all the way though the one bottoms out before the other. Is there an alignment issue other than the limit switch or is this something the springs are for, to allow for some differences in the rods.
Theres a roll pin in the mount on the door its self, where the rod goes into. It could be missing or damaged.

Scott :cheers:

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Topher on July 21, 2013, 04:07:20 PM
What do the holes look like in the mounting bracket for the motor? Are the holes large enough for you to take the 3 bolts loose and rotate the motor enough that the doors close all the way?

As for the one side being higher than the other, you may be able to take 2 adjustable wrenches and adjust them to where they grab the rod, and tweak it a little to help align the doors.

You know, I was going to try using adjustable wrenches to "tweak" the rod and try to align them. I'll take a look at the mounting holes sometime. Won't get the car back outta storage until Aug when I get back from vacation.
Is there any way to get some fresh grease into the gear housing? I have a needle injector for my grease gun. Can I open the housing a tad and put a couple of pumps of grease into it?

Quote from: ottawamerc on July 21, 2013, 06:50:45 PM
Quote from: 71 SE3834V on July 21, 2013, 02:47:04 PM
Theres a roll pin in the mount on the door its self, where the rod goes into. It could be missing or damaged.

Seems like I remember seeing the roll pins in place. Will check.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

AKcharger

OK seems like my issue was the springs.
- tried "rigging" the doors by moving the rod a notch...no go. The rod isn't square, its a rectangle so it really on;y goes in one way
- I removed one spring like Topher suggested and it kinda "winked" at me  (maybe  that's SE's problem?)
- Removed both springs and works fine. I was concerned the doors would "bang" around since they're a LOT heavier than my '70 doors but  seem nice a smooth

Only question is why did it work with the springs 40 years ago but now it doesn't?  :popcrn:

ottawamerc

If I had to guess its the torsional flex in the rod and now that there is no spring pressure there is no flex or maybe some flex the other way? :scratchchin: Without the springs the motor will have to haul up those heavy doors and therefore more wear on them. :Twocents: