News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator Flush questions

Started by bakerhillpins, July 16, 2013, 01:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on July 18, 2013, 07:17:41 PM
go with a high flow thermostat too. if your going to replace the pump go high flow for sure  :2thumbs:

Yea was thinking of picking that up when I get a pump gasket so I can take a look at the impeller at the same time.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Got a high flow thermostat to go in. Flushed the block with a hose, what ever that will buy me. I can't get the heater core to flush. I got a little trickle of water to flow through but nothing more. I suspect that the valve is frozen up. Tried moving the temp setting back and forth several times but that didn't help.

I did notice that the FSM shows 2 different flow directions????  AC vs non.  Anyone know for sure? I wouldn't have thought that flow direction would reverse just because of AC??  Maybe I flushed the wrong direction?
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

will

I don't thik you have to pop the freeZe plugs out. I drained my block by removing the 1/4" plugs from the sides, green water came out, try this before the hammer and screwdriver method.

bakerhillpins

Can you give me a rough idea of where these 1/4" plugs are on the block?  
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

After buying 2 of the pump gaskets rather than one and a thermostat gasket and taking the Rad to the shop with the cap, which wasn't returned it's all done. I was outside with a shop light till 10pm on Wed night getting the dam Rad back in the car.  :eek2:

I found the drain plugs and tried several different moves I picked up playing Twister when I was young but couldn't get them out so I just left left the flush water in the block, put the thing back together, and put in new fresh coolant. She circulates and held at 180. So it's cruising time again. Woot~!~

The plugs on my block are 1/4" allen head and were under the manifold at the front of the block on the passenger side, and center on the drivers.

I put on my a new fan shroud and the milodan thermostat and am running with my freshly rebuilt carb.  :2thumbs:

The Heater core wouldn't flush but I suspect that's because the valve is gummed closed. I just jumped out the heater/AC box for now since I will be pulling that this fall before storage for a rebuild over the winter.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire