News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Million Dollar 'Cuda Auction on eBay

Started by Crazy Larry, February 26, 2006, 06:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Larry

Anyone else see this????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4614951315&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Think of how many GREAT Chargers one could get for $1,000,000.

And the reserve is still not met!?!?!?!?

Recharger

How Much?   :o 

Damn, they don't take paypal.  Otherwise I'd be all over it...

Ghoste

It's a beautiful day to go bid fishing.
Not to take anything away from the car because it looks fantastic but does it seem strange that million dollar cars are on e-bay?  I just picture the really high rollers in the hobby being well connected enough that they are already aware of the car and able to make a deal on it.  I'm a cynic to the whole put it on e-bay and see what the world will pay idea.  I don't envision the Jay Leno's logging onto e-bay and seeing the car and clicking in a bid.

Jon Smith

:iagree:
yeah i just dont see people spending $1 million over the internet, if you've got that sort of cash you'd go and buy it in person, or send one of your lackeys

Ghoste

Exactly.  That's why I think they're just fishing.  If someone buys it great, but mostly, they expect the word to get out and someone to come around and buy it.
Now then, the bids are over a million, so who is pledging this dough?

Crazy Larry

Quote from: Ghoste on February 26, 2006, 10:36:16 AM
Exactly.  That's why I think they're just fishing.  If someone buys it great, but mostly, they expect the word to get out and someone to come around and buy it.
Now then, the bids are over a million, so who is pledging this dough?

That is what I was thinking - you'd think these guys would have been at the Barret Jackson show bidding.
Or do you think that this is just a couple of collectors with too much time on their hands, running up the bid price to make headlines before the next "real" auction.

I could've sworn I just saw this same car on the cover of one of those National Collector Car Trade publications - it was with the headline, the lowest milage all-original Hemi 'Cuda in the world.

Maybe this is just part of a PR campaign to get the car hyped and then it will head to the real "in-person" auction (possibly next year Barrett Jackson?)
If they give the perception that the car is in demand for 1 million +, then the Jay Lenos come out of the woodwork with suitcases of cash.

6670charger

Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

Ghoste

Quote from: 66charger on February 28, 2006, 05:37:46 PM
My only question is:  Who cares? ::)

Well, for myself, the reason I care is because this is exactly the kind of publicity stunt (and I'm still not convinced that it isn't just that) that feeds the collector car "market" thinking and the ensuing frenzy.  People see or hear about the Cuda and figure that if an old Plymouth is worth a million, then the rusty old Charger they have down in the ravine is worth at least 30,000 even as a parts car.
Just my own opinion though.

Crazy Larry

Quote from: Ghoste on March 01, 2006, 04:53:48 AM
Quote from: 66charger on February 28, 2006, 05:37:46 PM
My only question is:  Who cares? ::)

Well, for myself, the reason I care is because this is exactly the kind of publicity stunt (and I'm still not convinced that it isn't just that) that feeds the collector car "market" thinking and the ensuing frenzy.  People see or hear about the Cuda and figure that if an old Plymouth is worth a million, then the rusty old Charger they have down in the ravine is worth at least 30,000 even as a parts car.
Just my own opinion though.

Exactly!

I was able to find the Charger I drive as a very good barn-find - and only ended up paying $6,500 for it. It was an all metal not a spot of rust, '68 with a tired 383 in it that was sitting in a barn for 15 years. This was back in 2001/2002. Right now, on ebay, the snow covered rotted out ones in fields are going for that much if not more. :o

This has got to be a stunt - the bidding ended at $1,000,600 and the reserve wasn't met.
I agree, it looks like someone is trying to up the profile before it goes to a real auction house.