News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

16 Blade water pump?

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, July 15, 2013, 07:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

I was comparing water pumps and came across a 16 blade high flow pump? I've only seen up to 8 blades? Seems like it wouldn't work right with that many blades but am just curious if anyone has ever used one?   :shruggy:

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/store/Water-Pumps-MOPAR-CID:-440/7.2L/c21_37_204/p97/Water-Pump:-1679%3Cbr%3EChrysler,-Dodge,-Plymouth,-Desoto-(1958-78)/product_info.html
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

PlainfieldCharger

Cavitation? maybe, but I thought moving the water too fast wasn't good either :scratchchin:

Ghoste

The overheating thread stickied at the top of this forum has some pump comparisons I believe.

A383Wing

from what I read, the high flow pumps are junk

fy469rtse

I agree too many blades, read the thread , where all the after market pumps are tested, I had that paper weight that 440 source called high flow water pump, it actually did worse than a stock unit, after reading the thread here replaced it with a 7 blade heavy duty cooling package one from ma mopar engineered and designed all those years ago , works great and no more high temps

WHITE AND RED 69

I'm not looking to buy it. I just thought is was overkill with all the blades and wondered if anyone had seen anything like this? I've read the overheating thread a bunch of time but the most blades that one compared was 10. I was shocked when I saw a pump with 16.

I've already made the mistake of using a false claim pump once. Won't be doing that again.  :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

cudaken

I can see a high volume pump if you have a over sizes cross flow radiator to a point, and it is a small point at that.

My self, I run 1974 440 A/C pumps, they have smaller vanes, gives you 5 extra HP at 5000 RPM's and water stays in the radiator longer to cool the water better.

All my hard to figure out over heating problems have turned out to be lack water flow in the radiator, or clogged up mufflers!

Cuda Ken
I am back

A383Wing

the AC pumps are supposed to have smaller vanes....because of pulley ratios

cudaken

Quote from: A383Wing on July 16, 2013, 11:38:10 PM
the AC pumps are supposed to have smaller vanes....because of pulley ratios

Vanes are in the water pump A wing 383. While pulley's may be smaller (I need to check the DC Bible) the pulley sizes does effect the vane sizes, speed they turn yes, sizes no.

Cuda Ken 
I am back