News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RT Price

Started by JMF, July 12, 2013, 08:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

On the lookout for a nicely restored or nice driver 68-70 Charger, just wondering how much more I should pay for a genuine RT ? For argument sake they would be the same spec/colour/condition etc, or how much more would you pay ? Thanks

Mopar Nut

One owner 69 R/T around here just sold for $20,000.00 in good condition 88,000 miles.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ACUDANUT

That's a hell of a deal.  :yesnod:

daveco

That is certainly at the low end, price-wise :o
R/Tree

F8-4life

Maybe 20k for a good driver XP,  30k for comparable XS? More if the RT is special in any way.
The car pictured sounds like a deal you don't find every day.

Ghoste

Yeah, 20k is on the low side, I would like to find one in that condition myself for that price.

ACUDANUT

I have seen 69's go for that price with just a 318.  :yesnod:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 12, 2013, 01:16:02 PM
One owner 69 R/T around here just sold for $20,000.00 in good condition 88,000 miles.

That's one hell of a deal. Apparently the owner didn't know what the car was worth or needed cash fast. I've seen beat up junk R/Ts sell for more.

Seems lately for a decent R/T the price has been around the mid 30's. Depending on if it's a matching numbers, a/c, or 4 speed car you will pay much more.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

duanesterrr

I never see deals like that... ever.

1974dodgecharger

More info on that car......was it original and all and yeah low price someone got a steal.

tan top

thats two cars sensible money   this one & that sublime 70 six pack charger in the thread the other day

dont look a factory color though   , looks metalic red on my monitor :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HPP

That $20k R/T is an exceptional deal that you don't find too often.

Poking around at various sites, decent runners seem to be the $25-35k range. Obviously R/Ts , special options, or better cars tend to be towards the higher end of things.

I might be selling mine in the near future and will likely be in the upper 20 range, but it does have a few quirks about it that I'm debating whether I want to address them or drop the price to move it.

70 sublime

But I do not think anybody answered the question

How much more is a Charger worth if it is a real R/T verses another car that has the same motor transmission colour etc in a none R/T car in the same condition ???

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

charger_fan_4ever

Its all speculation, but if i was buying a turn key car I'd pay around $8-10k more for a real R/T. All #'s match 440 R/T probably would pull $15k over say a 318 car.

70 sublime

If it was me looking at 2 cars that were both road worthy and the same everything else but one was an R/T I would not want to spend more than an extra $5000 to get the R/T

hawkeye

On the 70 charger registry site, Dodge Don has kept track of all the 70 chargers sold on ebay over the last 8 years.  The R/T's average almost $10,000 more than the 500's.  All things being equal, I wouldn't pay that much more for one.       http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=24.0

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 12, 2013, 05:46:41 PM
But I do not think anybody answered the question

How much more is a Charger worth if it is a real R/T verses another car that has the same motor transmission colour etc in a none R/T car in the same condition ???

If you add up everything folks are saying, they are a good buy at 30K. :Twocents:

Ghoste

A good deal but not a steal depending on the optional stuff.  :Twocents:

ws23rt

Quote from: hawkeye on July 12, 2013, 09:00:49 PM
On the 70 charger registry site, Dodge Don has kept track of all the 70 chargers sold on ebay over the last 8 years.  The R/T's average almost $10,000 more than the 500's.  All things being equal, I wouldn't pay that much more for one.       http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=24.0

This information is better than an individual sense of the going prices.  An 8 year trend is good enough to use as real world.
On the other hand the market moves sometimes faster than an 8 year trend can tell. In the eighties the prices went up fast then leveled off for years before dropping.
These things move up and down by the buyers mood. Sorta like the stock market. A big drop doesn't mean value is gone. And a big rise doesn't mean value is there.
A buyer needs to answer a personal question. Am I buying this car more because it has value or because I like and want the car. A seller has a similar personal question. Am I hoping to find the one person that needs this car or is it time to move on.
I see the reason this question comes up so often is no one wants to feel foolish.  Life is all risk. The fun of living comes from taking them.

1974dodgecharger

I agree....well said  :cheers:

Quote from: ws23rt on July 12, 2013, 10:53:50 PM
Quote from: hawkeye on July 12, 2013, 09:00:49 PM

This information is better than an individual sense of the going prices.  An 8 year trend is good enough to use as real world.
On the other hand the market moves sometimes faster than an 8 year trend can tell. In the eighties the prices went up fast then leveled off for years before dropping.
These things move up and down by the buyers mood. Sorta like the stock market. A big drop doesn't mean value is gone. And a big rise doesn't mean value is there.
A buyer needs to answer a personal question. Am I buying this car more because it has value or because I like and want the car. A seller has a similar personal question. Am I hoping to find the one person that needs this car or is it time to move on.
I see the reason this question comes up so often is no one wants to feel foolish.  Life is all risk. The fun of living comes from taking them.

Ghoste

Its better than a price guide driven one too because its been compiled by an actual Charger lover.

ChargerST

Yeah, but an average price doesn't tell you much when you see the outliers - also it doesn't take the up and down movements into account. A Mean would be a bit better but only a timeline gives you the best information imo

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 12, 2013, 03:59:02 PM
More info on that car......was it original and all and yeah low price someone got a steal.
Original everything except paint and the normal wear items with a 440 and black interior. The guy that sold it is in his sixties and needed the money bad. I posted the AD here before, but the guy had sold it in three days.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ws23rt

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 12, 2013, 07:51:51 PM
If it was me looking at 2 cars that were both road worthy and the same everything else but one was an R/T I would not want to spend more than an extra $5000 to get the R/T

That is rather clear. It looks like you will end up with a non RT.

charger Downunder

Well he wasn't going to wait round for the market to go up, what a great buy if you have the cash.
[/quote]

ws23rt

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 13, 2013, 05:43:22 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 12, 2013, 03:59:02 PM
Original everything except paint and the normal wear items with a 440 and black interior. The guy that sold it is in his sixties and needed the money bad. I posted the AD here before, but the guy had sold it in three days.

One thing is very clear.  That car is worth at least $20,000. Do I here $30,000?

Mike DC

Yeah, the guy could have sold that thing in 3 hours at that price. 

I'm not a flipper but it would be difficult to resist the urge in that case.  Spray the taillight panel black, cruise the car on weekends for a couple months, then sell it for an easy $15,000 profit. 

HPP

Same here. Two identical cars, one base with a tranplanted 440 @ $28k, one an R/T at $35k, I think I'd be going with the base unit. That vin letter is not worth that much to me.

70 sublime

Quote from: ws23rt on July 13, 2013, 06:05:42 PM

I have a 70 Charger factory sublime R/T now :)
(it has had only one repaint in its life and they used the next shade darker green)

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 14, 2013, 12:20:38 AM
Quote from: ws23rt on July 13, 2013, 06:05:42 PM

I have a 70 Charger factory sublime R/T now :)
(it has had only one repaint in its life and they used the next shade darker green)

Mmmmmmm Over-ripened lime green  :coolgleamA:

surmanajaja

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 12, 2013, 01:16:02 PM

I would pay 20k for a 318 or even a 225 regular charger in that condition. so the rt isnt worth a cent.. :icon_smile_big:

in real world it depends what the non-rt is, is it a 383 car or a 318? 5-10k difference probably, I myself am not looking for a vin number, overall condition of a almost 50 years old car is more important than what was stamped in metal at the factory.. now if I win the lottery then everything will change, a 3ple black 70 hemi is the only one for me then.

Ghoste

In other words, with big funds behind you the right RT is worth a great deal?

ACUDANUT

Well said....... "The overall condition of a almost 50 years old car is more important than what was stamped in metal at the factory"

ws23rt

It looks like 20K-30K is a fair price for a nice, solid, clean, driver. (at least on this thread).
The original question was how much more for an RT?   Seems to depend on funds available. (as one said if I win the lottery)
If a seller had two chargers. One a 318 and the other a 440 RT. (Condition equal solid, clean, etc.)  He said the 318 car was for sale for 25,000. The other was make offer. -- :shruggy:
Of course if they were both the same price which to buy is a no brainer. :yesnod:
They do have different values?-----Add that one is a C500----Or that one is original Hemi.
If a tight budget holds us back that is one thing.  When one says they would not pay extra is that a principal speaking? :scratchchin:

One of us says no more than 5K--another says maybe 15K ::)

70 sublime

But the original question was

On the lookout for a nicely restored or nice driver 68-70 Charger, just wondering how much more I should pay for a genuine RT ? For argument sake they would be the same spec/colour/condition etc, or how much more would you pay ? Thanks

So if 2 cars were sitting side by side with the same specs so that would mean same motor size  / colour / condition but one was an R/T from the factory how much extra would you pay to get the real R/T car ?????

Ghoste

Dino

I wouldn't pay more but I'm weird that way.  I need to be able to change things on it without feeling I'm ruining a rare car.  I'd actually pay more for a sb car than a real R/T.  It's worth more to me, I don't give a damn what the market says.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hawkeye

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 14, 2013, 10:19:19 PM
But the original question was

So if 2 cars were sitting side by side with the same specs so that would mean same motor size  / colour / condition but one was an R/T from the factory how much extra would you pay to get the real R/T car ?????
I would pay 5 to 6 K more simply because it would be worth more when you sell it.  I also agree that unless you found a car EXACTLY the way you wanted it, I would rather have the small block so I would feel that I didn't have to put it back to original.  I would  argue it isn't fair to throw the hemis and daytonas  into the mix because they are getting into the range of investment cars and not the money sucking bad habits these cars really are.  

maxwellwedge

25% to 100% more....depending on a multitude of factors.

How much more would you pay for an SRT8 over a V6?

Back N Black

I think its ridiculous to pay 5K or 10K extra for a R/T with both cars being the same (clone). Carry the Vin plate in your wallet and show your family and friends what you paid 10K for.

Ghoste

That is also what a lot of clone buyers thought back in 2007 when they happily paid nearly as much for a clone as real cars were bringing.  Then the market tanked and they tried to sell their clones.  I'm the firmest believer that you should buy these things for the fun of it but there is also no arguing that one holds its value much better than the other.

charge69

A genuine R/T is and always will be worth more than a non-R/T base model or a clone. How much more depends on a lot of factors but it is what it is ..... a R/T and, although some wouldn't pay more for it, most people would!

charger_fan_4ever

We call them rare but really a 440 r/t isnt that rare production wise right ? Rare to find a good example today I agree.
With 70 being the lowest # of R/T's wasn't there slightly under 10k built ? 68-9 R/T's those #'s a fair bit higher.

Ghoste

I don't know, all relative I guess.  Around 20,000 RT's in 69 with total production for all models at just under 100,000.  Seem to be a little rare overall but I understand fully what you are saying.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Ghoste on July 15, 2013, 11:17:19 AM
That is also what a lot of clone buyers thought back in 2007 when they happily paid nearly as much for a clone as real cars were bringing.  Then the market tanked and they tried to sell their clones.  I'm the firmest believer that you should buy these things for the fun of it but there is also no arguing that one holds its value much better than the other.

Okay, think about this.  Neither the R/T , or plain jane charger is a numbers matching car. The plain jane is 10k cheaper and 10 times better shape than the R/T.  Which is worth more ?

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 15, 2013, 01:55:21 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on July 15, 2013, 11:17:19 AM

Okay, think about this.  Neither the R/T , or plain jane charger is a numbers matching car. The plain jane is 10k cheaper and 10 times better shape than the R/T.  Which is worth more ?

I'd say the non badge at 10k less is the better buy, but if they were in the same shape i'd still say the r/t pulls 8-10k more.

Ghoste

Yes I thought the original question was about otherwise the same cars.