News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

An old car as my new car

Started by GpB311, July 10, 2013, 12:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GpB311

Hello, all. My names Garrett.  Ive been lurking about in here for a little while and figured it was time to finally make an account and join the party.  :cheers:

Ive been a fan of older/classic cars since I was a teenager, and over the last couple years, my interests have turned mopar. Ive decided that my lil 4 cylinder economy car that just hit 100k miles is affordable, but frankly quite boring and now Im working towards getting a 73/74 charger with a 318.(id love to go for a big block project, but the 318 seems way easier for the scale of project Im looking to put together)  My original plan was to buy a used 318, have it checked out to make sure its solid, and then build it as a project before getting the car and dropping it in. Now Im thinking of just saving the money and spending the time waiting to get an already solid car that has plenty of potential, but doesnt necessarily need anything.  Theres a 74 se for sale on here that I like the looks of in the pic, but Im nowhere near ready to pull the trigger or have it checked out.

Anyways, ill cut my speech short and just say hello, and hope you call dont get sick of what will probably be many questions from me. haha

Ghoste

Good to have you here and an old car for a new car is a great idea. :cheers:

GpB311

Thanks, man. I do worry about some of the challenges ill face since the only older car Ive owned was an 86 Monte Carlo, but Im generally mechanically inclined and have a few friends with decent garage set ups, so Im hoping that, combined with sites like this will get me by. haha

Mytur Binsdirti

GpB311

Hey, when youre 16, youll take anything someone is willing to give you.  ;D

Ghoste

86 Monte Carlo is not the worst you could do.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Ghoste on July 10, 2013, 01:22:57 PM

True, but then again, it could be.   

GpB311

Whoa...I might have added a cd player and annoyingly loud speakers, but thats crazy right there. haha

F8-4life

Welcome, this is the place to be if your a charger freak.
I had a 73 charger for awile and I think your right on target. A 3rd gen charger is the "best bang for your buck" kinda car that fits perfect for us young and broke guys.
A 318 is a good motor, I agree stay with a smallblock for your first time. Cheaper too..
throughout your search rust will be your main enemy with these chargers. Try to find the most complete(not torn apart) "driver" type charger.
I paid 2200 for my 73 and drove it home. But they are going up in prices so wait out for a bargain.
Also Idk about you but I hate the 73-73 SE 1/4 windows so maybe try to get a base charger (non SE) much cleaner look.

Tilar

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 10, 2013, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on July 10, 2013, 01:22:57 PM

True, but then again, it could be.   

Actually that one looks like the owner self inflicted that damage.

Oh, And Welcome to the fold, Garrett!
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

RIDELIKEHELL

Welcome! mt first car was a GREMLIN followed buy an 86 Plymouth horizon
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

1970Moparmann

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on July 10, 2013, 03:32:02 PM

You actually admitted to owning a Gremlin Marc- LOL. :smilielol:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Dino

Welcome Garrett!

A good 3rd gen driver with a small block should be easy enough to find and not crazy expensive either.  No reason you can't run one of those for a daily. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Welcome Garrett. Remember when owning an old car...WAY too often people try and daily drive 40 plus Y/O cars. While some have done it to some degree of success, I find many cannot deal with problems that come along with owning/driving these cars. Good luck and hope you get the one that is still dependable without any electrical gremlins.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 10, 2013, 10:47:03 PM
Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on July 10, 2013, 03:32:02 PM

You actually admitted to owning a Gremlin Marc- LOL. :smilielol:

Funny story actually..my Uncle gave it to me when I got my drivers licence but it needed a boat load of stuff to pass safety check so it went to the bone yard. Yes i did admit it  :lol:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Homerr

Welcome! 

Bruzilla over at FBBO did a nice budget resto on his Roadrunner that might be a good analog for you.  He included costs as a running total which was nice.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?40022-Project-Pittsbird-Almost-Done

JB400

Welcome to the forum  :cheers:  I actually like the idea of using an old car as a dd.  Yes, they can have thier problems, but so do the new ones.  I would recommend a least a resto of the wiring as mentioned, as well as the brakes.  Maybe, even a upgrade to discs on the front if not already equipped.   You might even consider getting an overdrive trans from a truck to swap in as well.

Best of luck on getting a ride :2thumbs:

toocheaptosmoke

I've always had old cars as DD's, and it's been fun.  :cheers:  BUT, I've also always had either another old POS as a backup driver or at minimum access to another car for emergency use.  Things will need repaired, that's just part of the game, but when you only have ONE option for transportation the stress level goes way up when you need to be at work tomorrow and the car is in the shop, again. 

daveco

I think you can really enjoy a nice third gen, and you'll be a lot better off if you are patient and wait for a relatively unmolested car.
But, as Cooter said, these cars will have a lot of gremlins. That is just the inevitable consequence of time and oxygen.
One thing is for sure, a 40 year old daily driver will improve your trouble shooting skills :icon_smile_big:
R/Tree

GpB311

Thanks for the replies and welcome.  Ill def have to look into having someone who knows what theyre doing come with me to check out the car or go in advance to give me an opinion.  I know basic mechanical stuff, but restoring all the wiring or upgrading to disc brakes might be beyond my ability.

I would definitely be interested in a transmission with overdrive.  While the LA area involves lots of stop n go traffic, I also like to cruise out to the mountains or desert and could def use the OD. Any recommendations on trucks that would have the proper tranny or what model(s) it would be? 

Im also looking around at storage places because even though Id love to get the couple/few extra grand selling my current car would get me, its both reliable and affordable gas wise, so id love to have it to fall back on need be.

Wicked72

welcome and btw this is def the place for tons of info. like to see some pics!!
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

GpB311

Im still thinking about buying a used 318 and making a hobby of taking it apart, cleaning it, replacing parts as needed or wanted for improvement. I have a book on small block mopar rebuilding and a couple boxwrench films to get me started, but it would be a long term project probably.

Any suggestions on sites to find used engines that havent already been rebuilt or remanufactured?  Do I just need to do the leg work and go to salvage yards/pull your own part type places?

lukedukem

check on here first.. put an add in the wanted section. there might be some one here with one.

luke

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

GpB311

GpB311