News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

this is some serious coin for this !

Started by GOTWING, July 09, 2013, 11:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

To this day, I cannot understand the attraction of those ugly & underpowered things. All they are is a glorified chopped VW Beetle.

Ghoste

Stressing that I am by no means knowledgeable on 356 Porsches, that does seem like an enormous amount of money for a project with rust in the floors.  I know some of them in perfect condition can bring a million bucks, but that one looks to me like the more common 120k variety.  I could be way wrong though and I also don't get it Mytur, I think the Porsche fanatics appreciate it as revered ancestor to their modern ones.  Or maybe its the James Dean thing, I don't know.

GOTWING

and the motor is gone ! if i was going to go with that type of a car just build a nice kit for way cheaper and drive it.

Tilar

Those things never impressed me. You can buy a whole lot more car for a whole lot less money.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

68X426

James Dean got drunk and parked it. That will be the story in years to come, so there's the value.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Aero426

It will be interesting to follow along on the 356 registry thread and see what is said about it.

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/33740.html

69rtse4spd

To each his own, but if it was a 71 Hemi Cuda convert. 4-spd with out motor, what would it be going for. :Twocents:. They love them as much as we love our Mopars, & I am sure that not many of these were ever built.  :Twocents:.

Aero426

We also do now know if the bids are real.   

A '57 Speedster is a rare car.  But they made about 1100 of them.  So it's not THAT rare.    Its appeal was that you drive it during the week and could race it on the weekend.  It has to be among the most desirable of all the 356 models.   Whether you like them or not, they are at the the genesis of the Porsche family tree that survives today as the 911.     

Ghoste

And as I alluded to above, depending on what it is (and to my knowledge the Reuter bodied one is not the uber desirable) there is a great range in what complete vehicles sell for.  Someone on that 356 forum also mentioned that at the price its currently at, one would have to do most of the work themselves to prevent getting upside down in the investment.
That said of course, I'm one of the ones on here always saying not to buy it for an investment but because you love it, so there you go.

Aero426

Right.  You could see a similar kind of bidding on a 440 Daytona total basket case.    It has been stated here before that pricing is often not linear on a desirable project car compared to a completed car.   

It does seem like a lot of money. 

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Ghoste on July 10, 2013, 06:56:02 AM
And as I alluded to above, depending on what it is (and to my knowledge the Reuter bodied one is not the uber desirable) there is a great range in what complete vehicles sell for.  Someone on that 356 forum also mentioned that at the price its currently at, one would have to do most of the work themselves to prevent getting upside down in the investment.
That said of course, I'm one of the ones on here always saying not to buy it for an investment but because you love it, so there you go.

I agree.  Every time I see an ad for a Harley that says 'Over 40K invested!!!' I chuckle and think how that person must suck at investing.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ghoste

No kidding!  :lol:  Now if you include the purchase price of the bike and said "over 40k spent", that makes sense.  (you ever price those genuine Harley accessories?  yikes)

Cooter

Or overpaying for a 2008 Dodge Challenger To be the first one on your block back then to have one....Trying like hell to re-sell it 7 years later for a loss because only then did one realize they screwed themselves by overpaying in the first place.

Money is all relative. Just like depending on where you are and the subject at hand as to just how 'stupid' one is...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Yeah, imagine going back to those same dealers that sold the Challengers and telling them on your trade in value you want it to reflect the "fair market surcharge" or whatever they called the price gouge.  Think they'd laugh you out of the showroom?  :lol: