News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oh no! Need block to mount bolt info!

Started by JakeRupp, July 09, 2013, 09:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeRupp

So I've upgraded to an Alterktion front end and sold the old 318 and am putting my 440 in today because I'm moving and figure it's easier to tow the car and parts if the engine and trans are in. In order for me to do that I need the bolts for the engine block to mount on the supplied motor mounts. Can anyone help me out and tell me the length, thread type, etc that I'll need or something that will allow me to tow it 650 miles without worrying about it? If I should use Mopar bolts I'll buy them later, I just need this in by Thursday to tow to Colorado. Thanks guys (and girls)!

2Luke2

I can take pictures of the bolts that came out of my motor mounts for my 440, but not sure if that's what you're asking.  Where are you towing it to in CO? I'm in the Springs.

john108

The bolts are 3/8 diameter.
I have 2 @ 2"
3 @ 1 1/2"
1 @ 4 1/4"
Look at picture.

John_Kunkel

The original bolts that attach the mounts to the block are 7/16"-20
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JakeRupp

Quote from: 2Luke2 on July 09, 2013, 03:44:05 PM
I can take pictures of the bolts that came out of my motor mounts for my 440, but not sure if that's what you're asking.  Where are you towing it to in CO? I'm in the Springs.

I'll live in Fort Collins, but it will reside in Loveland. My dad is building a house and he said I could have one of the garage spots and since he's painting the floors of the garage he doesn't care if I drive down 10 minutes to go work on it. Maybe if I can ever complete this car, we could go cruise sometime.

I bought some bolts at Lowe's. Some grade 8 bolts. I read on a thread that someone used 1/2" bolts and had little to no play in the bolt holes. So I picked them up. I'll test them out first and if they don't work I'll go get my $17 back in bolts, washers, nuts, and lock washers.

Thank you guys! Now just need to grind the block some like the instructions say for the Alterktion motor mounts to work on the driver's side.  :down: :-\ :icon_smile_dissapprove:

John_Kunkel

1/2" bolts aren't gonna fit the block ears unless you drill them out. 7/16" are a little loose but that's for production tolerances.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charger Downunder

What ever you do, do not put one big long bolt through both block ears. If you do it will end in tears with a snapped off block ear.
[/quote]

JakeRupp

Alright, thanks guys. I'll go refund my bolts and won't do a long bolt. Got it!  ;)

2Luke2

Quote from: JakeRupp on July 10, 2013, 04:33:36 PM
Quote from: 2Luke2 on July 09, 2013, 03:44:05 PM

I'll live in Fort Collins, but it will reside in Loveland. My dad is building a house and he said I could have one of the garage spots and since he's painting the floors of the garage he doesn't care if I drive down 10 minutes to go work on it. Maybe if I can ever complete this car, we could go cruise sometime.

I bought some bolts at Lowe's. Some grade 8 bolts. I read on a thread that someone used 1/2" bolts and had little to no play in the bolt holes. So I picked them up. I'll test them out first and if they don't work I'll go get my $17 back in bolts, washers, nuts, and lock washers.

Thank you guys! Now just need to grind the block some like the instructions say for the Alterktion motor mounts to work on the driver's side.  :down: :-\ :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Sounds like a great time to me! Let me know if you need any help. I'm just getting my daily driver moving with a little engine refresh :) Hopefully in the next couple of months I will have it all sorted out. Still waiting for the stroker kit to arrive so I can get the machine work done.  Let us know how the mount works out!