News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building an extension on the ole' garage, pricing

Started by hemi68charger, February 25, 2006, 06:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Does anyone know a rule of thumb that I can use to get a ballpark estimate to extend an existing detached 2-car garage another car+ deeper? I'm looking to buy a house, but sort of need a feel....... Probably a very general question.........

I live in the Houston area......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

chargerboy69

I just got an estimate for a 24x36 garage for $11,000. That did not include drywall. Now I know the contractor fairly well and this might have been a little low.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargerboy69 on February 25, 2006, 09:35:13 PM
I just got an estimate for a 24x36 garage for $11,000. That did not include drywall. Now I know the contractor fairly well and this might have been a little low.

That would be way cool !!!! I had to spend nearly $25,000 for my current expansion project.... Most of the cost was because the garage is attached and the extension had to be drywalled and the whole 9 yards per city code......... The garage had to be built such as if it were part of the house........

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

NHCharger

Troy,I saw your post over on moparts. Building costs vary greatly from region to region.  I see that one member over there quoted $65-100./SF. I build a complete house for $100./SF. The best thing to do is call a couple of local builders and try to get a SF cost out of them.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

hemi68charger

Quote from: NHCharger on February 25, 2006, 11:06:26 PM
Troy,I saw your post over on moparts. Building costs vary greatly from region to region.  I see that one member over there quoted $65-100./SF. I build a complete house for $100./SF. The best thing to do is call a couple of local builders and try to get a SF cost out of them.

Is there going to be a difference since it's not going to need all the drywall and finishing touches? Basically, I'm looking for foundation extension, walls and a roof.... I can do all the rest...

Thanks for the input all.....

Troy
Troy

NHCharger

Do you have an actual foundation, or just a slab with the edges poured thicker to carry the weight of the wall?
Just tell them your looking for the concrete work and a weather tight shell. Are you doing the siding? On a job this small if you offer to pay part in cash you'd be amazed at the attention you get.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

hemi68charger

Well, I'll need the slab poured and the structure built as well, i.e. the walls, roof and basic wiring.. I can do all the finishing touches...... So, cash talks?..  :icon_smile_big:

I've emailed a few of the contractors who are members of the GHBA and hopefully I'll get some replies.. It would be great to know going into a house what the extra cash will be to expand whatever house I do buy... One thing in common in any of the houses will be the expansion... Not finding too many homes with a 3-car garage and even with that, 3 cars aren't enough.....   :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy

dkn1997

around here, cash definately talks. 

My friend just spent 60 grand on his detached garage, but it's a monster.  will be able to hold 8 cars plus a lift.  I looked into doing a 2 car detached at my house and If I did most of the work [everything except the concrete] then I figured I would spend about 10-12 grand. 

Materials alone have shot up a lot in a few years and even if you go cheap, you will probably spend 10 on materials alone (concrete is a huge part of that)
RECHRGED

hemi68charger

I hear you guys..... That's why I'm trying to stray only to existing 3-car garage homes and then expand only by one car, thus reducing the cost....

Thanks for all your input....

Troy
Troy

69charger2002

one cost that will eat you up right now(well, cost a few hundred more than normal) is drywall
6 months ago sheetrock was right at $9.99 a sheet, and that was marked up. we are selling it right now for $15.50 a sheet here, and we're the cheapest around.. $5.50 more  a sheet adds up fast even witha small project. i don't think you should spend over $15k start to finish for a 3rd car addition
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

CaptMarvel

I live in central California & am planning to break ground on a home for my 68 R/T in spring. Its going to be about 40'x30' & I have a materials cost of around $15,000. I priced it about a year ago, wood framed, & trussed & of course doing everything myself so I may be a bit low, but I should be in the ballpark...

Then I plan on adding about 500 sq ft to the back of the house...never a dull moment for this retired contractor (building inspector now)

PocketThunder

i think you should buy a house with 3-car garage and then go 3 more in tandem out the back.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Telvis

I would like to widen my garage and pitch the roof steeper so I can have more ceiling height for a lift. I figure I would probably be better off to tear mine down and start all over.

Big Lebowski

Quote from: NHCharger on February 25, 2006, 11:06:26 PM

That's close, out here in earthquake strap Calif., it's about $150 Sq. Ft. and alot less for a garage. The lumber/roof  may go $15,000
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

hemi68charger

Looks like the wife and I are going to make an offer on the three-car garage house. What I'll do is extend the front of the garage by as much as I can, which will be almost a car's length or at least half-a-car and span the whole 3-car front. Then, built a portacache in front of the 2-car door.... This way, I should be able to get 4 cars in not problem, 2 straight and 2 diagonal and still have room for my work bench and all.. The problem with going back around here is that the main electrical switch box and all the homeruns meet against the back wall of the existing garage.. Sooooooooo, If I don't have to move that, that saves money in electrical costs... I also talked to one of the contractors I'm going to have give me an estimate ( I always get three) and he's a Mopar guy.. Came up in conversation why I want quality, told him I had some Chargers and low-me-down, he owns a '70 Superbee.... lol

I'll do all the drywall myself over time, so that'll save me a buttload in up-front out of pocket cash.......

Maybe he's the contractor of choice, he'll undesrstand my needs and a new potential member of the club here..  :icon_smile_big:

Looks like Momma and DADDY !!!! are going to be happy campers..........

Troy
Troy

dkn1997

moving the home runs is not that big of a deal if your'e not moving the meter also.  would take about a day and you would end up with some junction boxes, but no biggie. 
RECHRGED