News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building a 70 Charger from scratch Build Thread

Started by tnthull, July 07, 2013, 11:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnthull

Haha I'm not quite that hardcore. That crap is expensive as hell! But I plan on working on it all weekend so hopefully I can post some progress pics sometime soon

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on July 09, 2013, 09:20:58 PM
I'm going to need a bigger bag of popcorn :popcrn: 

Ahhh.......this thread could cause a  :popcrn: shortage.

Watching with everyone else.

tnthull

Deck filler panel came in today, expecting roof tomorrow and work will commence this weekend!

Mike DC

Curious - what does that rollcage/chassis of yours weigh just as it is?

tnthull

haven't weighed it as is since its not complete...but a friend and I picked it up....id guess 200ish but im taking some of the existing bars out also

tnthull

update: I took out some of the bars that would have been obstructing the passenger seat. I also decided not to weld the roof to the chassis. instead I made a frame inside the roof skin(pictured below) to the measurements of the halo of the center section. I then located where I wanted the roof to sit o the car and welded tabs on the chassis as well as the frame that I made to fit inside the roof skin. I attached the roof skin frame to the skin using adhesive panelbond by 3M used in body shops. the final picture is with the roof bolted on and my first rear quarter at the beginning of being located. thanks for keeping up!

Baldwinvette77

well, thats already looking like a charger  :drool5: cant wait to see more.. seriously i cant, so hurry up  :icon_smile_big:

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

tnthull

Already got wilwood 4 piston front and rear with Brembo drilled and slotted rotors

DC_1

Try sizing those pics to 600 x400 and less than 200k.......its hard to see all the great work you have going on there in those itty bitty pics your posting ;)

Patronus

Quote from: tnthull on July 23, 2013, 09:05:51 PM
Already got wilwood 4 piston front and rear with Brembo drilled and slotted rotors

Like I said...
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

tnthull

Homerr

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong - there's a feeling that Wilwood front brakes are good for drag use but not necessarily so good for street use.

tnthull

Idk about what street applications would use these, I had them on a port city asphalt super late model.

Patronus

It sounds like this thing may get thrown around some? I'd just want something better. With your reduced weight it may not be an issue..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

JB400

Your brake package sounds alright to me.  You have quite a bit of leeway because of different pad options and brake bias. :Twocents:

Budnicks

Quote from: tnthull on July 09, 2013, 07:40:51 AM
I think I'm going to have to disagree with some of this. As I said I'm only 24 but I've been racing cars since I was 13. Most of these have been high power to weight and a Ton of fun to drive, legends cars 1350 lbs with driver. Almost 200 hp, 73 in wheelbase, and I have a drift car also that is 1950 lbs/450hp. The ac cobras are very snappy loose but a lot of that isn't just the high power to weight, a significant factor of that characteristic of that car is the super short wheelbase, which as you know is certainly not a quality the charger possesses at 117", that should make the car much easier to control, I still am afraid I may struggle to get the front end push out of it, that wa my logic in cutting the weight and especially the nose weight in the car, just to try and get rid of that.
It's been my experience that the more tire you put to a car the better grip and handling you'll have also, the charger will have wilwood wide 5 hubs and 10" wheels, so it should be able to fit a lot of tire, I'm thinking probably 275/50/15 up front and 305 or 315/50/15 out back. As far as motor, if I can't get my hands on an old dodge cup motor that's laying around i have an older aluminum race motor ill probably throw in that makes around 500hp that should work fine also, but I'm not even really thinking about all that until I get everything built from the firewall back.
:2thumbs: you can get a ton of tire under these cars  :Twocents: , good luck, have fun
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

Quote from: tnthull on July 23, 2013, 08:40:15 PM
update: I took out some of the bars that would have been obstructing the passenger seat. I also decided not to weld the roof to the chassis. instead I made a frame inside the roof skin(pictured below) to the measurements of the halo of the center section. I then located where I wanted the roof to sit o the car and welded tabs on the chassis as well as the frame that I made to fit inside the roof skin. I attached the roof skin frame to the skin using adhesive panelbond by 3M used in body shops. the final picture is with the roof bolted on and my first rear quarter at the beginning of being located. thanks for keeping up!
Very Cool 70 Charger build, I will be following this one for sure, I like your concept...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

tnthull

I have a amd roof that tapers down to meet the rear quarters, the rear quarters however also taper down to meet the roof...which one slides under the other here??? help

tnthull

where it meets on the c post

Mike DC

The quarter flange lays on top of the roof flange.

tnthull

Thanks that's great to know I was a little confused

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

Ooops!  My bad.  Sorry.   

I came back here to post a correction but CDR already got it.  He's correct, the roof skin goes on top of the quarter skin.  

remta1

:popcrn:tep looking forward to more pics , well done so far :cheers: