News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What else can leak (other than the input shaft seal) on the front of a 727???

Started by Mfr426, February 26, 2006, 02:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, I am having one heall of a bad weekend with the Charger. I had my buddy over on Friday night and we pulled the 727 and replaced the front input shaft seal, the pan gasket and the rear output seal with factory parts. I had a leak coming out of the inspection cover at the front of the trans and that's what prompted my doing this. Everything went well with the work and we made good time. Now for the sick stomach issue.

I fired up the car (and we lubed the hell out of all the seals and shafts with Vaseline prior to reassembly) and guess what I still have? Yep, it leaks right at the front inspection cover. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the front pump seal also have a tendency to leak? That is the seal that you need a slide hammer to get to I think? Or, is it possible that the the tourque converter shaft is worn to the point that is cant seal with the input shaft seal? If I had it to do over again I would put the seal over the TC shaft to make sure it sits tight enough.

Has anyone ever had a leak like this that a front input shaft seal replacement did not correct???

Thanks for any help. My buddy and I are both sick about this. He's sick because that means he needs to come up again and pull the trans out one more time...

Man, this has been one dissapointing weekend with car work.

Mike R in Reading PA

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike...silly question......

Are you SURE its trans fluid & not engine oil?     The rear main seal on the engine will leak into the insp cover of the trans.

Im also assuming you made absoultely sure the TQ converter was fully seated into the trans before installing the trans back into the car as well.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparjohn

Mike I've been there my tranny leaked like crazy. Check the trans carefull after you clean it off run it and then let it sit. Look for leaks higher up than the cover- My dipstick O ring leaked as well as the selector shaft seal. but the fluid runs down and can look like it came from the cover. Good luck
  ps got my seats back and will try and see you in 2 weeks, going to Georgia this week to see the filming locations from the first 5 DOH
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

beenaround

mike it very well could be the front pump.the pump bolts have seals on them,there is the gasket and a rubber ring that goes around the outside of the pump.you will need a slide hammer to remove the pump,also make sure the front pump bushing isn't damaged.and the converter sealing surface cannot be scored or grooved.it may help to add a tracer dye to the trans to pinpoint the leak.

John_Kunkel

Bellhousing area leaks can be as simple as a loose converter drain plug or as serious as a cracked converter hub. An overfull trans can leak out the breather in the bellhousing area and a clogged breather can make even a brand new seal leak.

Besides the seal/seal surface, other leak points in the bellhousing are the pump gasket(s) and the kickdown lever shaft plug.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

8WHEELER

I have seen the neutral safety switch leak, also I have had the gear selector seal leak on my wife's car one time. You
have to drop the pan and the valve body to replace that seal.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mfr426

Folks, thanks all for the suggestions. After I posted this thread and regained my composure I went out and rechecked the trans fluid level after reading some tips in the service manual. After I put all the seals and gaskets in I had been warming the car up in N and checking then adding the new fluid. It seemed to take forever to reach the top of the OK mark on the dipstick. It looks like the last "topping off" that I did put me way over the OK mark. I had a hard time getting a good reading but apparently I was about 1/2" over the OK level. I then checked the service manual again and they said that an overfull trans will leak at the vent area just above the input shaft. That would be where my leak was. So, feeling like an ass I loosened the pan bolts and let some fluid drain out. I then ran the car in N for about 20 minutes. I had the inspection cover off and watched the bottom of the bellhousing for any more leaks. I'm pretty sure that was the problem. I'll check again tomorrow night after work. 

::)

moparjohn

Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

8WHEELER

I have heard that as well, and I am guilty of over filling a trans over the years probably a couple times.
But I have never had a leak from it. But that sounds like your problem, glad you found the problem
without having a real problem  :thumbs:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mfr426

Thanks all. As soon as this frigid weather breaks I'll take her out and see (for sure) if it was as simple as my stupidity...

:eyes:

Ghoste

I've been going through the same thing with my car and it's pretty frustrating to say the least.  I'm prety sure it's the o-ring on the dipstick tube in my case.  I changed it out for a new one but it still has a leak so as soon as it's warm enough, I'm going to put a little ultra seal on mine too.

Mfr426

When I had the trans out years ago I wirebrushed the entire case so I could see the source of any leaks (and because it looked good). When I put all the new seals in I sprayed the pan and other areas with carb cleaner so I could see any source of leak. Mine happen to be the vent tube but I had put an o-ring seal in that dipstick a few years back. Cant remember where I got the o-ring but so far it seems to be working.

I HATE LEAKS!!!!!

:icon_smile_angry::

Nacho-RT74

I also hate leaks... it looks I never will stop them... tranny, engine, steering.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mfr426

It's a grueling job but someone has to do it. When I see a puddle under can car I cringe...