News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Coil issues???

Started by jaak, June 30, 2013, 10:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

Charger died on me the other night going down the road. Had to get it towed home  :'(

Anyways I was checking around, I think the coil might be the culprit. I checked both primary and secondary resistance (with my el-cheapo multimeter). According to what I found online the secondary resistance should range from 10k-11k ohms. The coil I have on it came from summit, and according to their website, secondary resistance is 10.6 for the one I have. When I checked it with my meter, it was showing 9.4K ohms. Do you think this could be the source of my problem?

Jason

A383Wing

possible, but I don't think so...with coil all hooked up again, what is voltage to the "+" side of coil with key on?

do you have spark while cranking?

is this electronic ignition? Points? MSD?

different troubleshooting techniques will be different depending on what system you have

Cooter

I was cruising the other day in mine and BAM! Shut right off on me. Reached under the dash and Heard a clicking type sound coming from behind the glovebox, so I moved the wiring harness and fired right back up. Look at wiring connections.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

PlainfieldCharger

My coil just went bad. It was an Accel Super Stock. It would run when the engine was cold as soon as it got hot..nothing. Replaced the ballast and ignition module. Replaced that coil. Engine never ran so good. It was the only item I did not replace in my build. :brickwall: Resistance measurement is a good test but the problem is the coil is not under a load when you do it...if it is totally open that's easy..put a new one in, not much money :2thumbs:

jaak

Quote from: A383Wing on June 30, 2013, 10:52:16 PM
possible, but I don't think so...with coil all hooked up again, what is voltage to the "+" side of coil with key on?

do you have spark while cranking?

is this electronic ignition? Points? MSD?

different troubleshooting techniques will be different depending on what system you have

I got a Mopar electronic ignition.

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on July 01, 2013, 07:38:11 AM
My coil just went bad. It was an Accel Super Stock. It would run when the engine was cold as soon as it got hot..nothing. Replaced the ballast and ignition module. Replaced that coil. Engine never ran so good. It was the only item I did not replace in my build. :brickwall: Resistance measurement is a good test but the problem is the coil is not under a load when you do it...if it is totally open that's easy..put a new one in, not much money :2thumbs:

My car has the exact same symptoms.

Thanks for all the replies,
Jason