News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Silly question, can i build a Daytona replica without chopping up my 70 fenders?

Started by JR, June 26, 2013, 05:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

OK I know, silly question, and the final outcome won't be accurate to the original.

However, I've had my 70 for 13 years now, and would like to change it up a bit. I was wondering would it be plausible to add the Daytona front end parts to my 70 without chopping the original fenders up. 70 fenders seem to be quite rare these days, and is like to not chop mine up.
I would however, be fine with chopping up the fiberglass under panel that runs under them to fit the standard fenders.

Not to mention I don't want to jump too far into unreversible mods, it would be a lot easier to swap back to a standard charger without doing that. Its a 70 RT, so I don't want to go too crazy.

I'm kicking around the idea of bolting on the aero, minus the rear window plug, eliminating the pop up headlights with fixed ones like the F & F Daytona, fabbing up a custom lower spoiler, bolting on proper rubber, and using the car in some standing mile races that are ran on empty airstrips, it'd be an interesting alternative to the BMW M3 I've been using at track events.

So, wing car gurus, is a "20 foot" Daytona plausible with minimal mods to the car, and any guesses to the benefit of the Aero stuff?

I'm looking at the stinger kit,( which I know is crap quality, but I'm a bodyman by trade and don't mind the labor if I can get the parts for relatively cheap), but am open to other ideas.

So basically, is it worth the time to use standard fenders, and will any benefit be seen without the window plug?

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

UFO

It can be done.
Modify the valance.Modify or make your own Z brackets to clear the unused headlight pots on the fender.

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: JR on June 26, 2013, 05:38:44 PM
OK I know, silly question, and the final outcome won't be accurate to the original.

However, I've had my 70 for 13 years now, and would like to change it up a bit. I was wondering would it be plausible to add the Daytona front end parts to my 70 without chopping the original fenders up. 70 fenders seem to be quite rare these days, and is like to not chop mine up.
I would however, be fine with chopping up the fiberglass under panel that runs under them to fit the standard fenders.

Not to mention I don't want to jump too far into unreversible mods, it would be a lot easier to swap back to a standard charger without doing that. Its a 70 RT, so I don't want to go too crazy.

I'm kicking around the idea of bolting on the aero, minus the rear window plug, eliminating the pop up headlights with fixed ones like the F & F Daytona, fabbing up a custom lower spoiler, bolting on proper rubber, and using the car in some standing mile races that are ran on empty airstrips, it'd be an interesting alternative to the BMW M3 I've been using at track events.

So, wing car gurus, is a "20 foot" Daytona plausible with minimal mods to the car, and any guesses to the benefit of the Aero stuff?

I'm looking at the stinger kit,( which I know is crap quality, but I'm a bodyman by trade and don't mind the labor if I can get the parts for relatively cheap), but am open to other ideas.

So basically, is it worth the time to use standard fenders, and will any benefit be seen without the window plug?

Yes you can - just remove valance and make a filler piece for where the valance was on the side and leave the bottom open - great air flow :) It will have to be a compound bend to go from a more rounded contour to a more vertical contour of the nose. Then use a bracket to secure the lower fender. I did this to one of my Daytona's back in the day - I wish I could say it was a quality job, but I was young and had no guidance.

I filled in the side marker, but you don't have to.

Dane

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JR

A383Wing

Quote from: cdr on June 27, 2013, 08:15:01 AM
i would put fiberglass fenders on it & save the original ones.

http://www.wsracingfiberglass.com/

would be nice if he had some pics & prices in there instead of having to call

Daytona Guy

Personally, I would not go with FG fenders. They do not fit right, and to get them to is a job; a lot of work for something you already have. Filling that little piece in is easy, plus it saves you money and time. If you are worried about the opening created underneath (that I never found to be a problem) a flat piece of steal or glass will do the job. It is only a clone. Unless you are making a high dollar clone, then go buy 70 fender to cut up. If you don't want them later I'm sure you will find someone of this board to take them off your hands (me)  :drool5:

Dane

pettybird

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 26, 2013, 10:27:31 PM

That's a lot more sanitary than I expected.  Seems like a 'glass filler panel could be reproduced to make that task a ton easier for future clones. 

JR

It does seem like an easy piece to fab up. I am curious what the aero benefits are to the solid underpanel.

I am planning on fabbing a lower spoiler to go under the nose if I go this route, so it will be fun to test and see what difference the lower valence makes.

Am i correct in assuming that once you take away having to modify the fenders and rear window/deck/trunklid, and making pop up headlights work, it seems like a fairly easy build? I don't see anything too complex here.

I'm sure making the cheap Stinger nose fit right will take some labor, but that's all cosmetics, I'm not worried there. Same goes for reinforcing the wing with steel so it won't eventually sag, not a problem.

One more question, at speed, how does the aero change the feel over the standard Charger? I'm running a mild 440/727 with 3.23 currently, and am not looking to break any records. I would however, like the car to feel stable and planted.

A383Wing

car is stable & planted the faster you go. At least mine is...we can cruise all day long at 100mph and steer with one finger. This of course assuming yer front suspension is good and aligned properly'

Bryan

Daytona Guy

Quote from: JR on June 27, 2013, 05:42:51 PM
It does seem like an easy piece to fab up. I am curious what the aero benefits are to the solid underpanel.

I am planning on fabbing a lower spoiler to go under the nose if I go this route, so it will be fun to test and see what difference the lower valence makes.

Am i correct in assuming that once you take away having to modify the fenders and rear window/deck/trunklid, and making pop up headlights work, it seems like a fairly easy build? I don't see anything too complex here.

I'm sure making the cheap Stinger nose fit right will take some labor, but that's all cosmetics, I'm not worried there. Same goes for reinforcing the wing with steel so it won't eventually sag, not a problem.

One more question, at speed, how does the aero change the feel over the standard Charger? I'm running a mild 440/727 with 3.23 currently, and am not looking to break any records. I would however, like the car to feel stable and planted.

The way you are doing it is a low buck eye catching Daytona. Enjoy, and don't let anyone talk down at you. It's your car.

Dane