News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help, any suggestions with stuck primary jet

Started by bakerhillpins, June 26, 2013, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Finally rebuilding my Carter AVS 4640sa and the drivers side primary jet would not let loose and the brass is toast.  :brickwall: Any suggestions on extraction?  Can a standard extraction kit work?

After I get it out it looks like I might as well get new jets all around.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dino

Get a bigger screwdrive and make the notch in the brass jet bigger so it fits snug.  Gently heat the aluminum surrounding the jet.  Stay away from the brass as it'll get softer when you heat it.  Let it cool down.  Repeat 2-3 times. Heat up one last time and gently try to undo the jet.

If you are uncomfortable doing so or if it simply won't work.  Get a drill slightly bigger than the jet hole and drill through it, or at least as far down as possible.  Step up to larger drill bits until very little of the jet wall remains, now you can break it out without ruining the aluminum threads.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bakerhillpins

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

bakerhillpins

Toast.   :eek2:

Looks like its a good thing I am going to Carlisle in a week.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Dino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 26, 2013, 03:54:12 PM
Toast.   :eek2:

Looks like its a good thing I am going to Carlisle in a week.

If the alloy cracked then it wasn't gonna do you much good anyway.  I take it these carbs are rare?

bakerhillpins

Toast might be a bit premature. If I can figure out the jets thread pitch and diameter I can use a tap and try to rethread the hole as I haven't split the body or drilled the threads. The brass is just stuck in the there. The tap should clean it out of there I would think.  :shruggy:

Don't know about rarity. I have seen the 4640sa on the bag for under a hundred. Its limited I think because its specific to the 440 with AC.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Dmichels

aluminum expands greatly with heat. heat it up Take a well fitting screwdriver and give it a sharp wrap with a hammer to loosen things up. Then try to turn it out. If not drill it out as suggested above. If you are careful you can drill it right to size and pick the threads out
Good luck
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

bakerhillpins

Well I got it out. I had to drill out the brass. What a PITA.  The drilling op wasn't as smooth as I had hoped but it didn't completely hose the threads.  I ended up having to use picks to get the left behind brass threads out of the aluminum ones. :eek2:  The 5/16-24 bottom tap was a pain to find because all the ones I found wouldn't turn in the inset where the jet sits.

While at Carlisle I sourced an old 4428s AVS (68 440) as it had the correct Carter high rise primary jets that I needed which are now made of unobtainium. The carb was badly corroded and completely seized up but I was able to get it open and the jets out. :2thumbs:

Now I just have to finish the rebuild.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Dino

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!  The things we call hobbies huh?   :lol:

Enjoy the rebuild!   :2thumbs:

bakerhillpins

Just a few notes on the Jet specs...

Jet thread size is 5/16-24. Drill size with a 5/16-24 tap (9/32). (this should be on your tap or with the kit) CAREFULLY drill out the jet until the upper threaded area is removed. Invert the carburetor body and the lower portion of the jet should drop out. Don't over drill, the bottom of the jet needs to sit on that lip so that it is positioned at the correct height with respect to the step (metering) rod that is inserted into it. I had difficulty finding a 5/16-24 bottom tap to finish removing the old brass, and chase the threads as stated above.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire