News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 Charger gas tank

Started by SG1022, December 02, 2011, 01:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SG1022

Does anyone know if the 1971-1973 Charger gas tanks can be used on a 1974? Are the vapor/fuel outlets in the same positions? The 71-73 models are 220$, where as the 74 models are 400$, because they have a hump on them.  ::)

Thanks,

--Taylor

E5 Charger

I'm 90% sure you can't. The 74 has an expansion dome on the top that houses a vapor liquid separator, which is an important part of the evaporation control system. There are a couple on ebay for $299, but if you live in Canada like I do, the shipping will bring you close to 400. I think I have seen them cheaper than $299, but be sure it's North American made.

TruckDriver

There not the same. '74 has it's own design cause the trunk floor was changed too.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

SG1022

What exactly is the function of the vapor evaporation system? Do I need to have that on my vehicle? Does that have something to do with the charcoal canister in my engine bay?

Would it be possible to use a 71-73 tank, and just, "delete" that state
?

E5 Charger

The gas tank needs to vent the vapors. The line goes to the charcoal canister where the vapors are stored until they can be burned by the carburetor. The carburetor also vents to the charcoal canister. I believe the older year tanks use an externally mounted vapor separator instead of the one mounted in the expansion dome of the 74 tank. Is it possible to use an older tank? I guess if you want to use the complete system of the year tank you want to use. I don't think the engine would run well if you removed the system.

RallyeMike

QuoteI believe the older year tanks use an externally mounted vapor separator instead of the one mounted in the expansion dome of the 74 tank. Is it possible to use an older tank? I guess if you want to use the complete system of the year tank you want to use. I don't think the engine would run well if you removed the system.

Nope. The 74 (at least MY 74's) still had the Charcoal canister. One was a 440 car and the other /6.

The question really comes down to how original will the car be. As stated, you can use the 73 tank if you WANT to.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

E5 Charger

Mike, my 74 has the charcoal canister also, I'm sure they all do. There is also a vapor separator in the dome of the gas tank. The years without the dome have an externally mounted one near the tank. This separates the fumes from the liquid and vents them to the charcoal canister.
Thanks again Mike for the front of the fender you sent me. I have to work at my welding skills before I tackle the fender.

RallyeMike

Hey... good too hear... hope you are getting back on your feet.  :cheers:

There are other differences from year to year and tank to tank and also I believe if the car was CA emmissions. My 71 RR tank is diff than my 72 CA RR tank diff than my 72 Charger tank, diff than the 74 tanks.....   The beauty is they all fit the space except the 74 into the earlier cars and you can make them work as long as you don't want 100% originality.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

E5 Charger

I'm doing well, thanks. Very true, you can make anything work. Sometimes the challenge of adapting different parts is a lot of fun, and sometimes very frustrating. Good luck Taylor with what ever you decide.

SG1022

Thanks E5. I think I'll probably just go with the 74 tank.

madinman

anyone know where i can find one of these - it's the part in rear wheel well  - 4 vent hoses from gas tank run into it.  have 71 charger se , owned since '74.   
just signed up for this grup, see if i did this right