News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Had some bad luck yesterday

Started by RIDELIKEHELL, June 23, 2013, 09:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: Bob T on June 24, 2013, 12:31:17 PM
Damn, at least the wife and a few passengers were'nt in the car to add to the grief  :brickwall:
Sounds like you have it sorted.
Btw, why are you running 91?, is that all that is available locally?  I would have thought that the octane rating wasnt high enough for the motor  :shruggy:

we can get 94 but it has Ethanol in it..The 91 does NOT have Ethanol (I work at the Refinery and test it  :2thumbs:) hence my vanity plate......I'm running just over 10:1 compression. Car ran like a freight train Thurs/Fri ...Putting on a filter in place of factory vapor,removing the carb to clean and inspect as I may have dirt in the seat or maybe float is stuck?
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

resq302

What is the issue with running a vapor separator?  We have to put one back into our 69 GTX vert that we just got.   :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1974dodgecharger

Happened to me also one day, but then I realized I just ran out of gas  ::)

66FBCharger

What makes you think that the vapor separator is the issue?
The issue I saw with the reproduction vapor separators is the orefice size on the return nipple is too large. That will cause a lot of the fuel pressure to bleed back to the tank. I don't have the FSM handy, but in there it says what size the orefice should be. I believe it is around .040". You can use the repro vapor separator if you either weld up the return nipple on the separator and drill the hole out to the size in the FSM. Or you can make an orefice that can be slid into the rubber return fuel line that runs from the separator to the metal line at the frame rail.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

RIDELIKEHELL

Not saying it is the issue but not having a fuel filter is just plain crazy so replacing it in that location seems sensible?
AMD POSTER BOY

Baldwinvette77

Flatbeds look so much nicer with a 68 stuck on top of them  :drool5:

66FBCharger

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on June 25, 2013, 09:17:12 AM
Not saying it is the issue but not having a fuel filter is just plain crazy so replacing it in that location seems sensible?
Even though the vapor separator is not a filter, it has a fine mesh screen that acts to keep junk out of the carb. If the fuel lines and fuel tank are new you should get minimal junk that needs to be filtered and the fuel separator should be fine. If the tank and lines are old then a filter would be the way to go in my opinion.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: 66FBCharger on June 25, 2013, 09:59:50 AM
Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on June 25, 2013, 09:17:12 AM
Even though the vapor separator is not a filter, it has a fine mesh screen that acts to keep junk out of the carb. If the fuel lines and fuel tank are new you should get minimal junk that needs to be filtered and the fuel separator should be fine. If the tank and lines are old then a filter would be the way to go in my opinion.

cool  :2thumbs: Going over the Carb tonight after work..been doing a lot of watching of the Edelbrock Videos on troubleshooting and if that don't work it's time for a QuickFuel  :shruggy:
AMD POSTER BOY

RIDELIKEHELL

I'm thinking some dirt got in the carb as I think I got some bad gas but that has recently been removed and replaced.
AMD POSTER BOY

firefighter3931

Quote from: 66FBCharger on June 25, 2013, 08:45:34 AM

Poor quality control and fuel filtration not to mention conductive heating of the fuel. That's enough for me to want to dump it in the trashcan !  :2guns:

You guys are welcome to run poorly filtered fuel through your carburators but that will never happen with anything i'm personally involved with.  ;)

You can use the repro vapor separator if you either weld up the return nipple on the separator and drill the hole out to the size in the FSM. Or you can make an orefice that can be slid into the rubber return fuel line that runs from the separator to the metal line at the frame rail.

That is waaaay too much work for a $70 part that is flawed in design from the get-go. At that price you should not have to make any modifications, period !  :smash:

As for the fuel lines and tank ; yes they are new and the dirt did not come from the fuel system hard parts. But we have little control over the junk that comes out of the local gas pumps so proper protection is in order.  :yesnod:

Best thing you can do is use a gas station that is busy and rotates it's fuel supply steadily. Stale gas sitting in the bottom of a sediment laden storage tank is trouble.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

66FBCharger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 25, 2013, 11:10:49 AM

Poor quality control and fuel filtration not to mention conductive heating of the fuel. That's enough for me to want to dump it in the trashcan !  :2guns:

You guys are welcome to run poorly filtered fuel through your carburators but that will never happen with anything i'm personally involved with.  ;)

You can use the repro vapor separator if you either weld up the return nipple on the separator and drill the hole out to the size in the FSM. Or you can make an orefice that can be slid into the rubber return fuel line that runs from the separator to the metal line at the frame rail.

That is waaaay too much work for a $70 part that is flawed in design from the get-go. At that price you should not have to make any modifications, period !  :smash:

As for the fuel lines and tank ; yes they are new and the dirt did not come from the fuel system hard parts. But we have little control over the junk that comes out of the local gas pumps so proper protection is in order.  :yesnod:

Best thing you can do is use a gas station that is busy and rotates it's fuel supply steadily. Stale gas sitting in the bottom of a sediment laden storage tank is trouble.  :P

Ron
I agree it is a lot of work to use the vapor separators but I was stuck with two of them that I bought probably 20 years ago or so. If the mesh is fine enough, why would it not filter as well as a regular fuel filter? (not giving you a hard time, just trying to learn).

firefighter3931

Quote from: 66FBCharger on June 25, 2013, 11:18:39 AM
If the mesh is fine enough, why would it not filter as well as a regular fuel filter? (not giving you a hard time, just trying to learn).

Who says that the mesh is fine enough ? If junk is making it's way into your carb then it's not working and the micron count is too high.

If i wanted to use one of those seperators i would certainly install some type of fuel filtration between it and the carburator. The other thing i don't like about them is the bracket that attaches the seperator to the engine. Heat is conducted through that bracket onto the housing and that heat transfer (conductive heat) will affect fuel temps.

Anything you can do to reduce fuel temps will alleviate potential vapor lock issues. My last 440 had no vapor seperator or return line and it never had one problem....ever, even in 108*F ambiant air temps. I just insulated the fuel line from the pump up to the carb feed line and it ran fine and never boiled the fuel.   :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RIDELIKEHELL

66FBCharger 

I wasn't trying to sound like an ASS...glad you are learning just like me  :lol: Cheers! BTW..anyone want to buy a Vapor Separator  :smilielol:
AMD POSTER BOY

66FBCharger

I don't know what the mesh size is. Maybe I will cut one open just to satisfy my curiousity. Why would Chrysler go to a crappy design for their hi perf. engines instead of using a real filter?
Insulating the line is a great idea.
Thanks for the info.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 66FBCharger on June 25, 2013, 12:20:35 PM
I don't know what the mesh size is. Maybe I will cut one open just to satisfy my curiousity. Why would Chrysler go to a crappy design for their hi perf. engines instead of using a real filter?
Thanks for the info.

Who knows if a reproduction part meets actual factory original specifications ? Back in the day fuel was higher quality and not prone to vapor lock under increased temps. The Ethanol is the biggest problem...the old MTBE additive was more stable and less sensetive to temperature extremes. Lots of factors come into play and i'm sure dirty underground storage tanks are at least contributing to the problem.  :yesnod:

Last time i poured fuel from the jerry can i used a coffee filter in the funnel before it went into the riding lawnmower. Lots of crap was in that fuel and the filter caught it. Quite surprising and yes....the jerry can was clean when i put fuel in it.  ;)

Ron

projectanimal

not a good feeling at all, but like others said... DAMN nice view on the back of flatbeds!!!    :coolgleamA:
Hope you get her fixed up soon.   :2thumbs:
northwest CT

66FBCharger

Thanks for the info.
I have been thinking why would Chrysler use only the vapor separator as the fuel filter. I'm not sure about the Carter carbs, but I seem to remember there being a stone like filter in each of the float bowl inlets on the six pack carbs. Would those filters keep the debris out of the carbs?
I agree the new gas is bad.
I wonder if anyone has specs./engineering drawings as to what the screen mesh should be from the factory.I'm just curious.

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: 66FBCharger on June 25, 2013, 02:12:49 PM
Thanks for the info.
I have been thinking why would Chrysler use only the vapor separator as the fuel filter. I'm not sure about the Carter carbs, but I seem to remember there being a stone like filter in each of the float bowl inlets on the six pack carbs. Would those filters keep the debris out of the carbs?
I wonder if anyone has specs./engineering drawings as to what the screen mesh should be from the factory.I'm just curious.

My Edelbrock didn't have any sort of mesh/stone like filter which I thought would be  where the fuel line goes into the carb  :scratchchin:
AMD POSTER BOY

Dino

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on June 26, 2013, 06:18:13 AM
Quote from: 66FBCharger on June 25, 2013, 02:12:49 PM
Thanks for the info.

My Edelbrock didn't have any sort of mesh/stone like filter which I thought would be  where the fuel line goes into the carb  :scratchchin:

Strange, I just removed my Eddy performer carb and it has the mesh at the inlet.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

6pkrtse

Check you fuel pump push rod if still running a manual fuel pump. I had that same type of issue once & the end of my push rod mushroomed like a 1/4" short & would cause fuel related vapor locking issues by not always pumping enough fuel.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: 6pkrtse on June 26, 2013, 12:00:11 PM
Check you fuel pump push rod if still running a manual fuel pump. I had that same type of issue once & the end of my push rod mushroomed like a 1/4" short & would cause fuel related vapor locking issues by not always pumping enough fuel.

I am running a carter manual style...would it do it all the time though?
AMD POSTER BOY

Dino

Sorry to hijack but when you buy a new fuel pump, does it come with a new pushrod?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6pkrtse

Mine did not. Would only act up sometimes. Usually at slower cruisin speeds (sub divisions or stop & go traffic). Once up to a higher cruisin speed there was enough volume & pumping fast enough to keep it running just fine.

6pkrtse

Quote from: Dino on June 26, 2013, 12:19:42 PM
Sorry to hijack but when you buy a new fuel pump, does it come with a new pushrod?

No it does not.