News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

radiator anode

Started by 66chargertoy, June 20, 2013, 12:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66chargertoy

Hopefully someone has come across this little problem. A couple of months ago while helping Ron work on the Black Pig, he pulled out a radiator anode from the petcock of his rad and asked him what the hell is that? Ron explained that it was a sacrificial zinc anode that you install in the radiator to help ward off any corrosion that would otherwise attack the aluminum rad and other aluminum parts in the cooling system. Well, if it's good enough for Ron, ordered one right away from Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-32060. Well, went to install it today only to find out that the petcock on my aluminum rad has a different thread then the  1/4" NPT that this part from summit. Looks like the thread that is on my rad is 12mm, M 12 x 125 pitch. The anode is to big, NPT and all. Any suggestions.
1966 440 Charger

A383Wing

I used them all the time on marine engines, never have had to use one in a car engine. Some say it works, most say it's a waste on money.

Keep yer antifreeze changed regularly, like every 2 years, use an overflow bottle to keep air out of cooling system and you should be fine

Bryan

ws23rt

There are several ways to adapt to your m12x125 port. Maybe the simplest would be to find a short 12x125 bolt and drill it out to tap for the thread that is on the zinc part. It is a simple job for a machinist in a lathe.
I think the odds of finding the right fitting already made are low.

ACUDANUT

Also, don't use tap water. Find distilled water to make your 50/50 antifreeze.  :2thumbs:

66chargertoy

Yep, I think your right  ws23rt, will look for a m12x125 and fix it up.
1966 440 Charger