News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another noise lifter question

Started by pb24, February 25, 2006, 12:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

I'm trying to find out which lifter is making noise. I listened with a mechanic stephascope and it sounded like it was coming from under the right valve cover, I pulled it off and tried to move the rockerarms to see which one had the play but they where all good, and then I ran the engine but oil leaked everywhere. Does any one have a easier way? Its a 68 charger with a 383

Chryco Psycho

if I have to run an engine with the valve cover off I use a thin Cardboard wall 6" high to keep the oil from going everywhere
noises in an engine can travel & can be hard to determine where thay are coming from 

daves68

Also, try checking the fuel pump. I had a 383 making noise that sounded like a lifter and it turned out that the pump arm was not returning completely, creating space between the pump arm and rod. Just something to check- things aren't always what they seem.
Dave