News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So I got this call???? Vallejo,Ca

Started by photon, June 19, 2013, 10:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photon

This sounds like a total Craigslist scam to me.  I had an add on my local Craigslist in my local Kansas Craig's list and a guy called me from Vallejo, Ca about a 68 charger back window i have for sale?  After discussion with the guy I figured out that he wanted quarter window glass.  Getting a little further into the conversation he explained he had inherited 2 cars from his late grandfather. He was very limited on mopar knowledge and explained that he would really just like to trade the car for a 60ish mustang fastback. Later on he explained that the 68 had been garaged since 1987 and had 3 carbs sitting on the top of it.  I tried to explain that it was most likely an original 6 pack car.  I told him that since the car was an original California rt he was probably sitting on a pile of money to buy the mustang he wanted.  He kept on saying the car has set for years and would need work.  I just got the feeling he thought the car was not worth that much.  I asked him what the second car was and he said a 1970 dodge challenger.  He said it was an awful color to him,"purple," with a white covetable top.  He said in a casual way when I asked him what motor was in the car,"the hood has 440 6 on it."  Needless to say I am 95 %sure this was some kind of scam.  He never asked me if I wanted to buy the car and I never asked about buying it.  I googled the number and it tracked back to some kind of airconditioning business.  If there is a member here from that area I could call the guy back and see if the cars could be seen in person.  The 5% or less says there could be some truth to it and needs to be followed up further by a person in the area.  My thoughts tell me when I call back he won't answer or the person on the other end won't know what I am talking about.

Ghoste

There are some questionable people in Vallejo, that's for sure.  Don't know that this is a scam, but there are some odd individuals in that city.

nvrbdn

it will be interesting to hear how this turns out if someone is in the area. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ghoste

Well to be on the safe side, I have several friends who live there so it is a jibe to them as much as anything. ;)

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Dino

No six packs until '70.

Could be a scam, could be someone who really does not care about these cars or could be plain stupid.  Worth having someone check it out for sure but I wouldn't get my hopes up either.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

F8-4life

NOt everything is a scam, although a juicy story like that is probably 100% BS. Although I would sniff it out alittle more, you just never know.

mopartybob

Quote from: Dino on June 19, 2013, 12:15:38 PM
No six packs until '70.

Could be a scam, could be someone who really does not care about these cars or could be plain stupid.  Worth having someone check it out for sure but I wouldn't get my hopes up either.
I don't know what the scam could be, unless this tool is so cracked out that he THINKS he is in Kansas.... lol.... I visit my son there frequently, Pm the info and i'll give it a look-see.... Robert ...........  I also find it hard to believe that the local Moparites haven't spotted these yet and clued this guy up??? sounds like some kid who inheirited grandpa's stash and doesn't know what he has, just what he wants........
If life's a Highway,then your soul must be a car....

photon

Got a call back from the guy today and the story gets a little juicier.  He said he called some machine shops to work on the engine and it was a little pricy.  He also said he had a 1964 ram charger and it sounds like it may be a factory race car by the way he described it.  I have no clue on this style of mopar so I could be making that up.  I got permission from the guy to get a number or two from a member from this site and give them to him and he could call you and maybe if he felt comfortable with you he could set up a time to view the cars.  He just does not want to deal with tire kickers and lots of calls.  Again I am not sure if this is a scam.  I just think someone local to the area should check them out and have some kind o chance at the cars.  Just be cautious, I have never met or known this guy.

johnnycharger

I am local to the vallejo area. I can look at the cars. Pm me the details.

duanesterrr

The guy can't snap a picture with his phone and send it to you?  (I know... maybe he doesn't have one but I would still ask)

It seems sketchy to me but crazier things have happened I guess.

69rtse4spd

You never know stranger thins have happened, you could get in touch with the police in that area & see what kind of neighborhood it is, just be careful. If it pans out & you end up getting more then one car, you may want to line up more than one trailer to get them in one shot.

Plum Crazy 68

Indygenerallee

As I always say "truth is stranger than fiction" I have my money on it being a real deal...
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

ws23rt

Quote from: Indygenerallee on June 19, 2013, 07:41:00 PM
As I always say "truth is stranger than fiction" I have my money on it being a real deal...

I am going along with there is something real here. Scammers have put us all on the defensive but they have not changed what is still out there.
If this were a scammer there would be a way for him to get a pay off. It could be someone that is just having fun jerking people around.
When I get a sense of that happening I like to let them think I am falling for it and play them out. (a kind of sport).

A383Wing

my two cents here...I thought the "cheap Daytona on eBay" was a scam as well. I was wrong...again

Bryan

fy469rtse

:popcrn: cant wait for the bit where after grooming you for a while, you have a wad of cash in your pocket and gone to purchase car and there's no one around and he looks like he originated from Nigeria   , love your gun laws over there, you no what they say be prepared , be prepared

photon

I was contacted by a member on this site and gave him the info.  Like all of you I am looking forward to finding out if the cars are real.  He will report back on the site or I will pass info on if I get a call back.