News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Oil Pan UPDATED

Started by john108, June 18, 2013, 06:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

Is the physical size/shape of a 1977 Chrysler 440 pan (has 933 stamped) the same as the pan on a 1968 Charger 440 R/T?  Both factory stock.
The drain plug is in a different location.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

john108

Thank you
Based on the link you posted I can see there are many different pan designs.  I never thought of looking on the bottom of mine ('68 Charger 440 RT).  It is presently sitting on/in a large truck tire and the hoist is not close.  The pan I removed from an extra engine ('77 Chrysler 440) had 933 stamped in the bottom.  The '77 engine has an 11-30-76 cast block and will be used for my engine build.

john108

The 440Source site shows pictures of both pans:
http://www.440source.com/oilpans.htm

firefighter3931

Best pan to use is the reproduction street hemi 6qt oilpan....fits perfectly in the 2nd gen chassis  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

It'd be wise to add a skid plate to a '68 when using the 6-quart Hemi pan.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

john108

Ron - I did buy the Hemi pan from Mancini a while back, based on your suggestion.  I asked the question because I plan on making a box for my original engine. Had the extra pan from the 1977 engine that I stripped the block from.  I wanted to use the '77 pan as a template to cradle the bottom of my original engine but will try to support it from the motor mounts.  I saw that 440 Source sells a support but not sure how well it attaches to the engine?? Also expensive!! Picture below.
John -I will have to eventually look into the skid plate.

firefighter3931

John, why not buy an engine stand ? I would buy this HF stand long before i'd pay $100 for a cradle that has maybe $20 worth of steel and some paint on it.  ;)

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-engine-stand-69886.html

If you wanted something really heavy duty, this folding stand rated at 2000lbs is very nice  :2thumbs:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lbs-foldable-engine-stand-69522.html

I have one of each and they both work excellent  :yesnod:

As for the skid plate using the 6qt hemi pan ; I never used one because the pan did not hang lower than the k-frame. On my car the k-frame would bottom out before the pan would get hit so i never bothered.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

john108

Ron -
I have the 2000 lb engine stand.  What I want to do is put my Original Engine (numbers matching) in a BOX and build a new engine with the 440 block (cast 11-30-76) from a 1977 Chrysler Imperial.  I have a number of parts, per your recommendations, sitting in a bedroom.
I am trying to decide how to hold/support the original engine in the box.

I noticed that my original 440 oil pan has a maximum depth of approximately 4 1/2 inches.
The 933 pan, off the chrysler 440 engine has a maximum depth of approximately 5 1/2 inches.
The hemi pan, I got from Mancini, has a maximum depth of approximately 5.0 inches.
Any THOUGHTS?
I didn't try to compare shapes but wonder if the 933 pan holds more oil than the Hemi pan (assuming I was sent the correct pan?  No markings on the pan, has 2 internal baffles, Box marked MRE-884 Street Hemi).

It may be possible to find the oil capacity spec for a 1977 chrysler Imperial 440 engine?

The oil pick-up tube from the Hemi pan appears 1/2 longer that the one from the Chrysler 933 pan.  This seems odd.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: john108 on June 20, 2013, 01:29:48 PM
Ron -
I have the 2000 lb engine stand.  What I want to do is put my Original Engine (numbers matching) in a BOX and build a new engine with the 440 block (cast 11-30-76) from a 1977 Chrysler Imperial.  I have a number of parts, per your recommendations, sitting in a bedroom.

I noticed that my original 440 oil pan has a maximum depth of approximately 4 1/2 inches.
The 933 pan, off the chrysler 440 engine has a maximum depth of approximately 5 1/2 inches.
The hemi pan, I got from Mancini, has a maximum depth of approximately 5.0 inches.
Any THOUGHTS?
I didn't try to compare shapes but wonder if the 933 pan holds more oil than the Hemi pan (assuming I was sent the correct pan?  No markings on the pan, has 2 internal baffles, Box marked MRE-884 Street Hemi).

It may be possible to find the oil capacity spec for a 1977 chrysler Imperial 440 engine?

The oil pick-up tube from the Hemi pan appears 1/2 longer that the one from the Chrysler 933 pan.  This seems odd.

Let me absorb this. Your worried about a numbers matching 77 Chrysler ? Really ?

john108

I guess I was confusing, trying to give additional information.

NO  NO  NO

I am  the original owner of my 1968 Dodge Charger R/T.  I want to put the original numbers matching engine in a box. 
I am using the Block from the 1977 Chrysler to build an engine to put into my 1968 Charger. 
So, someday in the future, it there is a need to get back to a numbers matching (ORIGINAL) car, an engine swap can be done.
This way, my original engine is still original, and not at risk.

firefighter3931

Quote from: john108 on June 20, 2013, 01:29:48 PM
Ron -

Any THOUGHTS?

John, the hemi pan is not as deep as the 933 but the sump is longer and it holds more oil. That is why the pickup that cam with your hemi pan is longer.  ;)

Ok, i understand what's going on now....you just need something to store the longblock intact  :yesnod:

Here's the one i used when i transported the 572. It has a deep 10qt Charlies pan and using this cradle there was still a few inches of clearance below once mounted. This one will work for you  :2thumbs:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar-Performance/049/ALL10156/10002/-1?parentProductId=1712121

Ron

john108

Thank you Ron
I just ordered that stand.

Question:  What are the attach points to the long block?
I still have the motor mounts attached.  Do they have to come off?
John

ACUDANUT

firefighter3931

Quote from: john108 on June 20, 2013, 07:56:23 PM
Thank you Ron
I just ordered that stand.

Question:  What are the attach points to the long block?
I still have the motor mounts attached.  Do they have to come off?
John

John, the engine mounts will need to come off....you will need the brackets anyway to install your stroker  ;)

The mounting points are bell housing and engine mount tabs  :yesnod:

Ron

john108

Thank you Ron\

The cradle came today.
I came to the same conclusion after looking at it and taking whatever measurements I could.  
I disassembled the cradle and attached to the engine.
Then assemble the cross-member of the cradle.
It did fit good!

The difficulty I am having is the junky hydraulic cylinder on my Harbor Freight engine hoist, that doesn't hold pressure.  They couldn't care LESS.
AND the legs on their 2 ton hoist are not compatible with their engine stand legs.  They interfere with each other!  You can't transfer an engine from one to the other!!!  

john108