News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 dodge charger 'daytona'

Started by 1974dodgecharger, June 11, 2013, 12:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteThey don't know an American automotive marque that just ended in 2001 but they know about an event from 1620? Most 14-year-old boys I hung around growing up did not pride themselves on facts from American history but we all knew a lot about cars and motorcycles. We were already arguing about which brand was best. Two years from getting my own license? We were living and breathing motorsports.

Oh, I have no doubt there are some modern kids who still live & breathe motorsports.  I'm sure they know a lot of stuff about Honda & Subaru & BMW, for example.  

It's not just that Plymouth hasn't existed for a decade, it's that they were mostly just a rebadge for another 10-20 years before that.  Kids have not had much reason to learn something about Plymouth since they were making Roadrunners & Satellites.  

Seriously, I imagine that many/most of the car-guy kids are aware that there used to be a brand called Plymouth.  But it probably carries about as much motorsports significance in their minds as Saturn does.  And many of the moderate car loving kids won't be aware of it at all.  When you were born in the late 1990s or early 2000s, just that far back already seems like a long time.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 13, 2013, 08:50:03 PM
QuoteThey don't know an American automotive marque that just ended in 2001 but they know about an event from 1620? Most 14-year-old boys I hung around growing up did not pride themselves on facts from American history but we all knew a lot about cars and motorcycles. We were already arguing about which brand was best. Two years from getting my own license? We were living and breathing motorsports.

Oh, I have no doubt there are some modern kids who still live & breathe motorsports.  I'm sure they know a lot of stuff about Honda & Subaru & BMW, for example.  

It's not just that Plymouth hasn't existed for a decade, it's that they were mostly just a rebadge for another 10-20 years before that.  Kids have not had much reason to learn something about Plymouth since they were making Roadrunners & Satellites.  

Seriously, I imagine that many/most of the car-guy kids are aware that there used to be a brand called Plymouth.  But it probably carries about as much motorsports significance in their minds as Saturn does.  And many of the moderate car loving kids won't be aware of it at all.  When you were born in the late 1990s or early 2000s, just that far back already seems like a long time.

i know a girl whos currently in grade 9 (moving onto grade 10) shes knowledgeable about the 2 1969 zl1 corvettes, the handful of charger 500's, knows the difference between the daytona and superbird, and can list off the modifications done to each car, shes mostly into gm's (which is fine by me  :D ) but knows alot of facts about gm ,ford ,dodge and amc, Hope she manages to pass that onto her friends, the world could use a few more female car nuts  :popcrn: :popcrn:

maxwellwedge

I say always be aware about females with nuts...... :scratchchin:     :D

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 13, 2013, 08:50:03 PM

I agree, but I also thought it was funny to compare it to Plymouth Rock. Made me think of a Jaywalking segment asking people American history questions. I wonder how many Americans could say where the name Plymouth originated, at least as it relates to US history.

Got me wondering what the word means. It's the name of the town situated at the mouth of the River Plym in England. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 17, 2013, 12:05:08 PM
I say always be aware about females with nuts...... :scratchchin:     :D

im well aware  :yesnod: .... also i think you ment "be wary... "  :D