News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Charger Weight

Started by 440 Fanatic, February 24, 2006, 12:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

TheGhost

Quote from: The Obssessed on March 21, 2006, 04:34:11 PM
Hello. I am new here.  I own a 1968 Charger R/T and my wife owns a 1966 Charger.
I have owned my Charger for a long tiime.  It is in great condition.  I love it.

I have a question.

Why would a person with a 67 Barracuda notchback join this forum and then tell the members that "they" are in denial ?

In my opinion, people would buy the new Chargers because some have an engine called a "hemi" in them, while most will be just grocery getters and kid haulers.  These same peopple would buy a catbox if it had a hemi in it. 

The Obssessed

Interesting first post....  Post up some pics of your Charger.  We are all picture whores here. ;D

I've been a member for over a year and a half, before most of the Charger outrage.  I didn't like the car at first, either.  After seeing one, driving an R/T model, and seeing the numbers it was capable of, I changed my mind.

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 21, 2006, 01:42:38 AM
dude, remember 493 Charger R/T that what he was selling his R/T for. And guess what it was 11 sec car. with everything done(bodywork, interior, etc) He finally sold it to guy in Australia. www.452rtracing.com is his former site. Ask anyone else on this forum, they sure remember him. I went to visit him few summers ago and actually got a ride in the car. So, prove me wrong

How much did it cost him to build that car, sliver?

6pkrunner, the 06 SRT-8s have hit 12s stock.  Which is half a second faster than they are listed as in your post.  You could build a classic Charger to be faster, but, stock for stock, the SRT-8 is the fastest vehicle to wear the Charger nameplate.

Greenpigs, I like the way the new Charger looks.  Looks are subjective to the person, therefore not applicable here.  Why is the 06 a bastard of a car?  Capable of 12s stock, somewhat affordable, certainly more affordable than any other car running 12s stock.  Why must you insist that it's the worst car ever made, when, clearly, it's not?  4 doors?  Most of today's affordable performance cars are 4 doors.  Who gives a rats ass how many doors it has, as long as it has the performance it boasts of?  Doors don't affect the quality of the build, the handling around corners at speed, the 1/4 time.  Tell me, what is so God damn bad about 2 extra doors, that it makes everyone here treat the car like it's the worst thing on the road?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Brock Samson

Troy

Quote from: TheGhost on March 21, 2006, 08:21:07 PM
Doesn't matter, a lazy person (or someone without the skill to build it) could have bought it race-ready for around $20k. Why would you bother building one?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

TheGhost

Quote from: Troy on March 21, 2006, 09:18:59 PMWhy would you bother building one?

Troy

Why wouldn't you?  Buying a done racecar is a lazy mans way out.  I'd rather spend more money, and build one myself.  Alot more satisfying.  Plus you know EVERYTHING that's been done to it.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Troy

Quote from: TheGhost on March 21, 2006, 10:32:47 PM
Quote from: Troy on March 21, 2006, 09:18:59 PMWhy would you bother building one?

Troy

Why wouldn't you? Buying a done racecar is a lazy mans way out. I'd rather spend more money, and build one myself. Alot more satisfying. Plus you know EVERYTHING that's been done to it.
Speaking of reading the whole post... that particular car was very well documented here so if something was done that no one knew about then it was probably insignificant to its performance. The point was that Jim's car was more than capable of wasting a new SRT-8 AND you could have it for less than half the price. I guess you conveniently missed that point. You weren't planning on building an SRT-8 from scratch were you??? How could you possibly trust the quality? Either way, when you can afford it you can tell me about how you'd rather spend more money for something else. Until then, I have three real Chargers to spend my money on and I'll build them exactly how I want. (And yes, I know EVERYTHING that's been done to them.)

Troy

Silver R/T

Quote from: Troy on March 21, 2006, 09:18:59 PM
Quote from: TheGhost on March 21, 2006, 08:21:07 PM
Doesn't matter, a lazy person (or someone without the skill to build it) could have bought it race-ready for around $20k. Why would you bother building one?

Troy

OWNED, yet again lol, this thread is getting interesting
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TheGhost

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 22, 2006, 12:19:32 AMOWNED, yet again lol, this thread is getting interesting

Interestingly enough, I don't feel owned at all.  I made a mistake by forgetting how cheap race modified cars can be bought, because I'd rather build one than buy one, hardly a qualification of "ownage".  My other points still stand, and so far have been avoided.  I have yet to see anyone explain exactly why this car is such a bad car.  And, untill someone does to my satisfaction, I will continue to defend the car as I see fit.

Silver R/T

Its all good, you can like it, and its alright. Its America and you can like whatever you want, but its bad when you try to push it on everybody here how great this "charger" is. I do think its good car, but no I do not believe its Charger, there's nothing Charger about it. It's totally NEW car, doesnt deserve to be badged with Charger nameplates with it, just because DCX wants to make extra money by bringing in legendary names and sticking them on whatever they feel like, even trucks with bumble bee stripes and wings. BTW, those wings wouldnt hold up a person, would they? A real daytona CAN hold an adult without collapsing. There's way too much more discussing how "charger' is not a Charger, but we wont be getting into it.
Troy if you would be so kind to close this thread possibly?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TheGhost

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 22, 2006, 12:38:31 AM
Troy if you would be so kind to close this thread possibly?

You said it was just getting good. :rotz:

Actually, I'd rather wait to see a response to my request.  I want someone to explain why some members act like this is the worst car ever made.  And I don't mean stuff like "It doesn't pay homage to the classic Chargers", etc.  I know that already.  I want facts, proof that this car is as bad as it's treated here.

The Obssessed

I'll try to post a picture.  Like I said, I'm new around here.  Are there instructions I should follow ?
Here goes...

Well...  My pictures are currently too large.  I'll work on that and get back.

My beef with the new Charger is that we had bait and switch.  My wife and I saw the concept vehicle at several shows, like Carlisle, and the Mopar Nats, where her 66 was in the tribute to the Charger display.  We started to save for a new Charger. Then they came out with a Dodge Magnum with a different roof and automatic trans only.  Quite different.  Looks nothing like a Charger or the concept car.  Probably would be fine if they called it a Coronet.  Charger ? No way.  We aren't buying one.

Tom

Silver R/T

Ghost, nobody's saying its bad car. Its great car for older people that have extra money in their account and want a quick 4 door family car. You missed the point

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: Troy on March 22, 2006, 12:09:30 AM
Quote from: TheGhost on March 21, 2006, 10:32:47 PM

Troy

Why wouldn't you? Buying a done racecar is a lazy mans way out. I'd rather spend more money, and build one myself. Alot more satisfying. Plus you know EVERYTHING that's been done to it.
Speaking of reading the whole post... that particular car was very well documented here so if something was done that no one knew about then it was probably insignificant to its performance. The point was that Jim's car was more than capable of wasting a new SRT-8 AND you could have it for less than half the price. I guess you conveniently missed that point. You weren't planning on building an SRT-8 from scratch were you??? How could you possibly trust the quality? Either way, when you can afford it you can tell me about how you'd rather spend more money for something else. Until then, I have three real Chargers to spend my money on and I'll build them exactly how I want. (And yes, I know EVERYTHING that's been done to them.)

Troy

Forgot to mention that he still had all the number matching drive-train, so you could easily put it back to stock and sell it for a lot more.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

Ghoste

You're still waiting for someone to prove why it's such a bad car?  I'm still waiting for you to prove why it's so great.  The people who don't like it have made it abundantly clear that they find the styling to be ugly.  Subjective?  Yes, but prefering to see naked pictures of Pamela Anderson instead of Rosie O'Donnell is subjective too and I'm pretty sure you'd find only a minority of people want the naked Rosie.
The way DCX has handled the thing from day one has been a sore spot for most of the people who don't like it.  From Creed's insults to sales results reporting.  Yes, yes, I know.  Even though only a handful seem to be roaming around the streets, the sales results have reported fantastic wilder than their dreams super sales with everybody in the continent clamoring for a pair.
The apologists for this car rarely mention styling.  They continually harp about the performance even though most of us who don't like it keep telling you we don't care about the performance, it's still ugly.  Apologists continually rant about the fact that the 06 beats the 69.  Well duh...  There are four decades of technological advances to utilize.  And yet, when it comes to styling, DCX has to reach BACK four decades for a car to compare it to.
If no one can convince you that they don't like it because they don't like of it's poorly executed  European touring sedan styling, great, but don't try to convince us that it's a fabulous car because it can out accelerate something built forty years ago.  Speed records fall daily but the art of most cars built in the time of the classic Chargers will last for a very long time.

greenpigs

QuoteGreenpigs, I like the way the new Charger looks.  Looks are subjective to the person, therefore not applicable here.  Why is the 06 a bastard of a car?  Capable of 12s stock, somewhat affordable, certainly more affordable than any other car running 12s stock.  Why must you insist that it's the worst car ever made, when, clearly, it's not?  4 doors?  Most of today's affordable performance cars are 4 doors.  Who gives a rats ass how many doors it has, as long as it has the performance it boasts of?  Doors don't affect the quality of the build, the handling around corners at speed, the 1/4 time.  Tell me, what is so God damn bad about 2 extra doors, that it makes everyone here treat the car like it's the worst thing on the road?

For the price and the same amount of doors I would rather have a SRT neon and pocket about 20K extra and still go 12's.

Defend the car all you want..better watch out Uncle Troy sounds like he is ticked.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Troy

You had other points? :D

You'll never convince me to like that car until they make it look better. I don't care how fast it is, how many options it has available, or if it's the most reliable car ever made. I also don't care if they cut the price in half as an incentive. I'd rather have a fleet of old cars to spend my money on and, if I have to buy anything new, it will be cheap enough to beat on as a daily driver.

Oh, and I'm not ticked Green - just some of the ever-changing points being made here aren't well thought out and it gets annoying. I'm sure the new Charger is a fine car for some people but the people who don't like it for whatever reason are not likely to change their minds. I guess the same goes for people who do like it. Good for them - but I wish certain people would stop making new/old comparisons and get off this crusade of educating the world about its virtues. A 1960 Corvette is a world apart from a new Z06 too but I don't hear people trying to justify the new one to the classic owners. It's a personal choice.

Troy

Crazy Larry

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 22, 2006, 12:54:21 AM
Ghost, nobody's saying its bad car. Its great car for older people that have extra money in their account and want a quick 4 door family car. You missed the point

He'll never get the point until he owns a 1st thru 3rd Generation Charger.

There is something about a Charger that 98% of the people on this board loves - it's an "it" factor that has many definitions. When you walk around those beautiful examples of '66-'74 automotive brilliance, and are lucky enough to get behind the wheel of one, you know what "it" is.

Ghost, you seem to love to argue, but you will fail to understand the GREAT disappointment 98% of us have in the new "charger", because you don't love the Charger (I'm sure you would if you had one).
In a world where there are so many Camaros and Mustangs that they have Trader publications full of them, a Charger is few and far between - so the name and mistique is sacred to the owners of one.

The way that DCX stepped all over that name and mistique with this new "charger" disappoints all of us. Ghost, You have a Barracuda, which is a fantastic mopar muscle car - but it aint a Charger, so you'll never get our disappointment.

6pkrunner

TheGhost - those times are just that. Time collected from various magazines over the years. Look at the 1969.5 six barrel road runner that Ronnie Sox and company tested. Ronnie was claimed to have gotten it into the 12s. Well the magazine that it was handed over to a few days after those tests couldn't get it out of the mid-low 13s for no love nor money.
There are hundreds of factors at play in getting a 1/4 mile time. Then to toss in variables from different locations, different drivers, differet - well different everything except for 1320 feet.

Yes I agree that 36 years of technology have covered a lot of grounds. If these cars were not faster, better handling, and return better mileage then as a species we are in devolution not evolution. We have to make progress not regress. And the smog limitations and safety weight considerations have long been overcome, much like the restrictor plates on the hemis in NASCAR in the mid 70s.
And much like the old cars that OI knew and read every road test and track test of, times vary wildly. How about a 15.6 @96 1968 Hemi Charger? True as tested by Road and Track. Most hemis ran mid low 14s as off the showroom. An al Kirshenbaum supertune was needed to get them into the 13.05 to 13.5 range.
I'm sure there wil be just as much variances in times with the 2006 6.1 liter Charger. However, I have no interest in researching that topic. For a daily driver I prefer econoboxes that I only have to put fuel in once a week. ;D

mally69

Actually, I'd rather wait to see a response to my request.  I want someone to explain why some members act like this is the worst car ever made.  And I don't mean stuff like "It doesn't pay homage to the classic Chargers", etc.  I know that already.  I want facts, proof that this car is as bad as it's treated here.

actually heres one for the new charger  :moon:   all charger's 1966-74 all had hidaway head lights and NEVER had 4 doors  thats about the biggest thing that i can think of other than looking like short version of a magnum   all dodge needs to do with that car is make it look  more like the old chargers    AS OF NOW THEY ARE A DISGRACE  i would rather own 1000 junk old chargers  than one new one

I would NEVER give up my 69 Charger 440 for any reason  :drive:

6pkrunner

Wow - I guess like Ponch says, one should read the entire thread before commenting. I guess I glazed over some of the barbs. You will find that using the nameplate is the biggest irritant about the new car. "It's only a name" and "It belongs to Daimler amd they can do what they want" are easy and flippant answers but it goes to a deep sense of betrayal. Much like someone wrecking your collector car and stating "Its only a car." Some other  great trivializing retorts are "It's only a bullet wound." and "He'll stop after he conquers Poland.". And these were meant as jokes so don't get upset like the old Charger owners get over a simple name application. ;D
I am not as irate as some over the name useage, but I don't think they should have used it for this platform. As has been specualted many times before call it Coronet and there would be far less uproar. But again, I could care less as I have no interest in new cars.

Chris G.

Quote from: mally69 on March 22, 2006, 06:15:34 PM
actually heres one for the new charger  :moon:   all charger's 1966-74 all had hidaway head lights and NEVER had 4 doors  thats about the biggest thing that i can think of other than looking like short version of a magnum   all dodge needs to do with that car is make it look  more like the old chargers    AS OF NOW THEY ARE A DISGRACE  i would rather own 1000 junk old chargers  than one new one
I would NEVER give up my 69 Charger 440 for any reason  :drive:

Dude, you are more entertaining than Silver. I love it, please keep it coming.  :lol: :popcrn:

6pkrunner

Can I take just a few junk Chargers with H (1966) J (1967-69) or R(1970-71) as the 5 digit in the VIN.