News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trunk pan extensions

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, June 16, 2013, 08:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

i did the trunk last season but i also need the extensions. the trunks still pinned in with sheet metal screws for now/ is there a certain brand i should get or are they all the same? also any recommendations on the best priced vendor?  i saw a real cheap set on ebay but i dunno if its just garbage or not.

green69rt

This is my experience.  Trunk extension pans are a "pound till they fit".  They are not a critical part, in fact they are used to take up the errors (or misfits) due to other parts.  Buy the cheapest and flail away!!!  I used AMD and bought them though http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?

Brightyellow69rtse

whats the difference in a regular extension and a "dropoff" as they call it?

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

bill440rt

I used the repros from Auto Body Specialties, before the AMD's were available.
They are a little crude and need some clean-up and finesse to make them fit right & look a little better, but really it was no big deal and they look fine.
If you are doing a higher end resto and it has to look factory then I'd go with a better AMD part.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cdr

also the correct way to install them is to remove the rear valance & corner caps,   jus sayin  :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Brightyellow69rtse

^  yeah thats not gonna happen  :lol:

it gets spot welded to the quarter correct?

cdr

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on June 17, 2013, 05:33:05 PM
^  yeah thats not gonna happen  :lol:

it gets spot welded to the quarter correct?

yes along the bottom

rebby

Are these what I need? I was just going to cut away the rot and try to weld and/or bond new pieces. My biggest problem is that the exterior body work is done so, short of redoing a bunch, I'm not sure what my options are.

Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

green69rt

If you're talking about the ragged edge thingy behind the quarter then that is a trunk floor extension.  It ties into the trunk floor, outer wheel well, lower quarter and kind of seals off the rear valance corner (good luck on this part.)

rebby

Quote from: green69rt on June 18, 2013, 04:34:13 PM
If you're talking about the ragged edge thingy behind the quarter then that is a trunk floor extension.  It ties into the trunk floor, outer wheel well, lower quarter and kind of seals off the rear valance corner (good luck on this part.)
Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. I haven't spend a ton of time looking into it yet but I think that my best bet is to fabricate a part to put there and use panel bond on it. Should be permanent while still providing an acceptable fix. I'm building this into a driver so I'm not worried about a "perfect" restoration but, at the same time, I don't want it to rot back out on me in 5-10 years either. I really wish that we had fixed this when we did the quarter panel but I didn't notice it (first time I'd ever done any body work and didn't know what to look for). Once I had the car on the hoist, it was pretty obvious.
Curt Rebelein, Junior

cdr

Quote from: rebby on June 18, 2013, 04:42:08 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. I haven't spend a ton of time looking into it yet but I think that my best bet is to fabricate a part to put there and use panel bond on it. Should be permanent while still providing an acceptable fix. I'm building this into a driver so I'm not worried about a "perfect" restoration but, at the same time, I don't want it to rot back out on me in 5-10 years either. I really wish that we had fixed this when we did the quarter panel but I didn't notice it (first time I'd ever done any body work and didn't know what to look for). Once I had the car on the hoist, it was pretty obvious.

i would get new drop offs & cut at the top & weld in,or i guess it could be panel bonded.

68RT440

yea Id just get new extensions and be done with it. I have AMD ones that Im currently working with on my '68, and I have them cut and sliced every which way to get them to fit correctly.
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

charger_fan_4ever

In reference to Rebby's pic.

Is it me or is the outer wheelhouse rotten up close the the quarter lip ?

Cheaper to fix it now before paint as doing a second body job will be no fun.
Just my  :Twocents:

rebby

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on June 18, 2013, 07:58:35 PM

Just my  :Twocents:
Yeah, I need to take a closer look at that as well. I've been busy with my other Charger at the moment though so I haven't had a chance to check that out yet. Thanks for pointing it out though. FWIW, at least the other side of the car is good to go.
Curt Rebelein, Junior

green69rt

I'm going to throw another path out there...  Get a net floor extension and patch it in.  There can be other things wrong but the next owner can take car of a 100% correct restoration.  If this is the only thing needing fixing then do it and move on...

bill440rt

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on June 18, 2013, 07:58:35 PM

Just my  :Twocents:

Yikes. Good eye.  :scope:
Looks like they welded(?) the quarter on directly over the rusted trunk floor extension and wheelhouse. Trouble is it's not welded or attached to anything in those areas. It's just flappin' in the breeze. Trouble looming on the horizon.  :yesnod:
Looks like a hole in the corner of the trunk floor also that was 'glassed over? Hard to tell.
The wheelhouse is gonna be a tough fix now that the quarter is in place.
Perhaps cut it out VERY carefully, and panel bond the patches in place. The 3M stuff is super-strong. Read the tech sheets carefully, and just make sure your mating areas are clean, bare metal.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce