News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Funky Oil

Started by HeavyFuel, June 16, 2013, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Does this oil look funky to you?  :scratchchin:

It's been in my rebuilt engine for 5 years and getting ready to fire it for the first time.  I pulled the valley pan to re-lube the cam lobes, and noticed the oil looked like this.  I think there are puddles of oil because the builder slung oil with the drill cause we knew I wouldn't be starting it for while and wanted to lube things up a bit.

I think I'd better change that stuff out with some Rottella plus break-in additive.

Also....shouldn't a Purple Shaft be purple?

areibel

It looks a little foggy, like it picked up some moisture?  I think I'd change it (or at least draw a quart off of the bottom of the pan and see if there's water sitting)?
And I think the Purple Shaft is just a paint mark towards the front, not the whole thing.

HeavyFuel

I drained everything out of the pan, and it turned out to be nice, smooth, uniform looking, good smelling oil.  Just a hint of green from the assembly lube running down into it.

It's now back in the pan....hate to waste it and the EOS the builder added.   :2thumbs:

areibel

Bobs69

I can't remember how much purple was on my cam.  Enough.

Slowpoke

I have a purple shaft cam from about 1980, it was painted all purple except where it was machined off.
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years