News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First oil change and spark plug check "any advice?"

Started by ottawamerc, June 15, 2013, 05:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawamerc

Hi guys

I did the first oil change on the engine today after about 100-150 KM, 60- 80 Miles. I was happy to NOT see anything in the filter media when I cut it open and only thing on the magnetic drain plug was a gooey substance kinda like RTV silicone which I assume is just the lube used during assembly :shruggy: but no sign of any metals :icon_smile_big: Looks like my cam made it Hell yeah!!!! I pulled a plug (#7) to do a compression and visual check. Compression was 174 PSI and the plug looked like this: Still no hard runs yet, only to about 1/2 throttle.

Any advice from the gurus here as to how it looks?
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

ws23rt

Only 80mi to your first oil change? That is Conservative. Your check of the oil filter and drain plug says no problem yet. I get that you are concerned about the cam breaking in. I always wonder that myself when starting a new engine. If it was not doing well right from the git go I would think you would see something in the oil. Even if there was a bit of glitter to be found I would not panic. That is why they call it breaking in and what oil filters are for.
The pic of a spark plug is hard to read. To many things involved. Looks ok but not an indicator of engine break which is what I get to be your immediate concern. And would be mine. I would start driving and work on any other issues that come up to get the engine purring.