News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727/a518

Started by Dino, June 14, 2013, 12:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Since I'm thinking about transmissions again, would it be possible to bolt the a518 tailshaft with the od gear onto a later style 727 with lockup converter?  Probably not, would be too easy, but I thought I'd ask.

The parts are readily available to do the 727 to a518 swap but again not something I can do in my garage.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rcannon440

I just performed the 727/518 swap in my 69 Charger using the Ultra Bell bell housing. Not an easy task, the converter rubbed inside the new bell housing and I had to machine the housing down, you will need to fabricate a new cross member and you will need to perform extensive modifications to your tunnel and the tunnel support. I also purchased a new floor shifter from lokar because the old shifter would not fit. After it's all in then you can expect to deal with pinion angle issues. On the bright side my RPM's dropped about 800 rpm's at 70mph. Good luck

Dino

Quote from: rcannon440 on June 14, 2013, 12:27:10 PM
I just performed the 727/518 swap in my 69 Charger using the Ultra Bell bell housing. Not an easy task, the converter rubbed inside the new bell housing and I had to machine the housing down, you will need to fabricate a new cross member and you will need to perform extensive modifications to your tunnel and the tunnel support. I also purchased a new floor shifter from lokar because the old shifter would not fit. After it's all in then you can expect to deal with pinion angle issues. On the bright side my RPM's dropped about 800 rpm's at 70mph. Good luck

Yep that's pretty much what I thought I had to do.  The one thing that was not clear, as not many people have done this swap in a 69, is how much tunnel mods were needed.  I thought you could use the stock shifter if you cut away one of the 518's csating tabs?   :shruggy:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rcannon440

I found that the overdrive part of the transmission took up so much room that the shifting mechanism hit the side of the transmission when I put it back through the original hole. I will post some pics of what I did. Or send me your email address, by the way I performed this in Herb McCandless garage in NC.

Also at the moment I dealing with a bad vibration problem, I think I had a bad Converter.

rcannon440

cdr

i converted my stock shifter to cable
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

yes it was a lot of work to fit the a 518 in my 68.

rcannon440

How did you set your kick down cable? My car shifts way to soon and never kicks down when going to WOT. Also how did you modify your tunnel to fit the overdrive and did you check your pinion angle? I'm not sure I was able to get the transmission up far enough because of the floor brace.