News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting rear leafs to coilovers

Started by 6spd68, June 10, 2013, 08:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6spd68

Hi Guys,
   I'm new to the forum, but promise not to be a one trick pony.  I'm beggining my 68 project and have most of my setup in order, but I'm still on the fence about what to do with suspension.  I've seen the kits made to convert the rear leaf springs to coilovers and I was wondering, is it all worth it?  Who else has done it?  Is there a noticeable improvement over the leafs?  Which kit should I be looking at?  I'm not too pumped to pay 4k for the adjustable air kit  :eek2:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

JB400

First off, welcome to the group :cheers:

What exactly are you using the car for?  Coil overs are great for tuning to changing track conditions, but can be frustrating to set up until you know what you're doing.  What type of setup are you going for?  3 link, 4 link, or other?

kab69440

More importantly, how are you planning to support the car on the coilovers? The shock crossmember was not engineered to hold the car's weight. Ask anyone with airshocks...
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Ghoste

You pretty much need to "back half" the car to do it right.

6spd68

Primarily the car will be a cruiser for street use.  May see the track every now and then, but mostly street driving (with spirit of course :D)

Was looking at these kits and got curious:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/RideTech/Part-Type/Suspension-Kits-Air-Springs/Make/DODGE/Year/1968/Model/CHARGER/
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

JB400

For a street cruiser, stick with the leafs.  It'll save you a lot of headaches and hassles.  They'll handle almost anything you throw at it.

6spd68

Gotcha, I wasn't hoping to go the air route anyway.  Was more hoping there was a kit similar with the 4-link to a coil-over.  I've never had a car with leafs before, so I guess I'm just jumping the gun on that one eh?

If anyone has converted, I'd still like to hear opinions though.
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

Mike DC

Reilly Motorsports makes a modernized front subframe kit that has a very good reputation in the hobby.  They are making a links/coilover rear suspension kit nowadays.  

Mopar's rear leaf spring setup was designed a whole lot better than most of the stuff in that era.  Show me somebody griping about rear leaf springs, and I will probably show you somebody griping about the leafs underneath a GM or Ford product.  Of course leafs have some inherent limitations, but you have to be pushing an old Mopar pretty hard before the leafs cannot be made to work tolerably.   (In fact the same is true for the front suspension on an old Mopar.) 

The biggest difference between a classic car's rear leaf suspension and a modern sports car will not be the leafs.  It's the solid axle itself.  An independent rear suspension makes a much bigger impact on the car than the method of suspending a solid axle.

Ghoste

6spd68

Perfect, thanks for the re-assureance guys :cheers:.  Leafs it is.  More money to dump in my all around wilwood disc conversion  :2thumbs:
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

six-tee-nine

maybe if you stick to leaf springs you can put the extra cash into another disk brake system that Willwood..... You know no dustboots. Some like em but most people only recommend them for drag racers.
Maybe contact Dr.Diff he has nice disk kits or Baer if you really want to have top shelf stuff.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...