News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wife wants me to thin the herd..which charger goes?

Started by carsnguitars, June 12, 2013, 09:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carsnguitars

So over the years I picked up 3 chargers. Wife wants me to thin down by one so trying to decide, thought I would ask for opinions.
Cars:
68 all original and complete except engine & tranny, was 383 auto now 44 auto.
I have 2 - 71 R/T's, 1 with power windows and a/c, the other Air grabber. Both have all original engines and stuff.

I was thinking selling the 71 with the power windows an ac since I have 2 71's (kinda like the air grabber one best), but have a good offer on my 68.
The first gen 68 such a cool looking car though it is kinda hard to part with it, and a Guy wanted to buy it told me I should keep it, they are getting harder to find.

So what you think, sell one of the 71's or keep em and sell the 68.
Just curious to charger fans thoughts!!
Option B!!!!!
Keep stalling the wife and hope she gets amnesia!
Btw - I do drive them, and thought about giving them to my kids later.

projectanimal

Trade wife, keep all 3!!  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I agree with your logic.. Keep the air grabbed and the 68... :cheers:

:popcrn:
northwest CT

bakerhillpins

If you can't get past or get rid of the wife I would go with your gut and try to get rid of the 71. You will have a much easier time finding one of them in the future if you want to replace it. The 2nd Gens are much harder to replace in the long run.

What's her beef? Is it just in the way or do you owe money on them?

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

rebby

How many kids do you have? If you have 3 (or more) the problem just solved itself.

I'm bias toward the second gen's (especially the 68 and 69) so, in no way would I part with one of those prior to a 71. That said, based on what you said, I'd part with the 71 PW/AC. It makes more sense to me since that way you'd still have a g2 and a g3 rather than 2 g3's. It also sounds like that would be the easier of the 71's for you to part with.

The CORRECT answer however is... Keep the 68 and BOTH 71's. Then post WTB threads for a 69 and 70 as well (just to round out the consecutive years). Once you have a series, continue to build on both bookends until you have one from 66 to 74. Then, since you already have 2 71's, you're gonna need 2 of every other year as well. Explain to your wife that "it's a man thing, some guys collect mistresses, I collect Chargers" and she should leave you alone.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Baldwinvette77

offer her one as a gift, but secretly keep it for yourself?  :shruggy:

carsnguitars

I don't owe any any of them..all paid..of....
her beef...well have an E body (its not going anywhere) and a Fisher body as well (that one my kid wants).

She just wants a spot in the garage for her

I agree with the keep em all and start a series...I could use a 70 r/t to go with them...hmmm..maybe I should be looking in for sale section instead...

I might be able to stall her till fall..and then come up with anther excuse!!
cant trade her in cost me way too much I loose em all!! haha....

I think play dumb for now....Hun I forgot..then by her something and keep stalling!!

Daytona R/T SE

Find her most favorite thing she owns and smash it.

Don't say a word...

carsnguitars

The CORRECT answer however is... Keep the 68 and BOTH 71's. Then post WTB threads for a 69 and 70 as well (just to round out the consecutive years). Once you have a series, continue to build on both bookends until you have one from 66 to 74. Then, since you already have 2 71's, you're gonna need 2 of every other year as well.

Explain to your wife that "it's a man thing, some guys collect mistresses, I collect Chargers" and she should leave you alone.
[/quote]

This is the best response!!! she go for that......I knew you guys had the right answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: carsnguitars on June 12, 2013, 09:04:03 PM
So over the years I picked up 3 chargers. Wife wants me to thin down by one so trying to decide, thought I would ask for opinions.
Cars:
I have 2 - 71 R/T's, 1 with power windows and a/c, the other Air grabber. Both have all original engines and stuff.

I was thinking selling the 71 with the power windows an ac since I have 2 71's (kinda like the air grabber one best), but have a good offer on my 68.
The first gen 68 such a cool looking car though it is kinda hard to part with it, and a Guy wanted to buy it told me I should keep it, they are getting harder to find.

Option B!!!!!

How many pairs of shoes is she giving up to make more room in the closet?

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

A383Wing

I bet she's got more than 3 pieces of jewelry...do ya see where this is going?

Bryan

carsnguitars

Quote from: A383Wing on June 12, 2013, 10:00:55 PM

Bryan

I do, but only one thing wrong with the logic, well I am dealing with female logic!!!  :brickwall:
You cant reason with that. So I need to deploy shock and awe with confuse and forget... :2thumbs:

archie360

Tell her, due to the lackluster economy car values are down.  It just wouldn't make sense to sell now when we can get more for it later.  One thing my Wife understand is economics.  That should buy you a year or two or maybe ten :icon_smile_wink:   I have two and she wants me to downsize to one.  The trick is to stay one step ahead  ;D
1971 SE 383HP     1972 Rallye 340

Daytona R/T SE

"Wife wants me to thin the herd"

:scratchchin:

At some point in your relationship,

YOU gave her the power to make this decision...

Revoke it.

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 12, 2013, 10:19:02 PM

Yea..it was right after the words "I do"

Mike DC

I agree with the general sentiment. 

Don't sell the survivor '68. 
Only sell any of them if you agree that your wife's request is fair.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. 

polywideblock

my wife wouldn't let me have any  :brickwall: i now own two :2thumbs: but no wife  . I'm biased towards the 3rd gen so I'd keep the 71's, cool options on both are they different colours?

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

PocketThunder

Quote from: carsnguitars on June 12, 2013, 09:43:38 PM

Am i the only one that caught this?...!?  The answer is ....... build a bigger garage!  Duh!   :brickwall: :scratchchin: :yesnod: :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

carsnguitars

Quote from: polywideblock on June 12, 2013, 11:23:44 PM
my wife wouldn't let me have any  :brickwall: i now own two :2thumbs: but no wife  . I'm biased towards the 3rd gen so I'd keep the 71's, cool options on both are they different colours?

Hockey game running late!!.

Yeah one green w/ black top, the other Hemi Orange no top.
Funny thing is she liked driving my orange 71, told me it drove nice! haha...

As for the garage....I did....But it has my 70 chally r/t and a 68 rs/ss in it already..and my boat.....

I going to stall...worked for last 6 mos..but she been starting press me more....

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

carsnguitars

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 12, 2013, 11:47:25 PM
sell the camero.   :Twocents:

Cant, I offered it to my son if he graduates with certain GPA......or I would.....

JB400

Put a cover on the boat and set it outside.  Then, give the wife the spot closest to the living room door.  If you have the room you could build a carport to put the boat under.

tan top

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 12, 2013, 09:44:22 PM

Don't say a word...

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 12, 2013, 10:19:02 PM
"Wife wants me to thin the herd"

:scratchchin:

Revoke it.
Quote from: A383Wing on June 12, 2013, 10:00:55 PM

Bryan

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on June 12, 2013, 09:46:09 PM
Quote from: carsnguitars on June 12, 2013, 09:04:03 PM
Cars:

Option B!!!!!

How many pairs of shoes is she giving up to make more room in the closet?

:yesnod:
, yeah get new wife  :P what you got to figure out is , why she wants you to sell it , & what does she wat to buy with the money you get from selling the charger  :scratchchin:

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 12, 2013, 11:33:14 PM

Am i the only one that caught this?...!?  The answer is ....... build a bigger garage!  Duh!   :brickwall: :scratchchin: :yesnod: :yesnod:
doubt its as easy as that , she got someing else in her head , to spend the  money on im sure :yesnod: :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Tilar

her beef...well have an E body (its not going anywhere) and a Fisher body as well (that one my kid wants).

She can't take up much room, let her stay out there and you keep your cars.  :D

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

tan top

Quote from: Tilar on June 13, 2013, 04:13:06 AM

She can't take up much room, let her stay out there and you keep your cars.  :D

:smilielol: :smilielol:  thats funny  :yesnod:  that might just work !!  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Plum Crazy 68

Ghoste

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Are the cars costing you anything other than the normal upkeep? Are you able to keep them at home? If there's no high cost of keeping them, then it is a no-brainer............ Keep 'em all....

In her wedding vows to me, she stated she would NEVER make me sell the Mopars.......................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Homerr

Need pics...of the cars too.   :icon_smile_big:

Are they restored, drivers, body shells, rust?

JB400

Out of curiosity, has she sent any hints as to wanting anything lately or is it really just a matter of wanting a parking spot in the garage?

GOTWING

cazz

stripedelete

Don't say a word...

You're a sick dude.
But I like it! :lol:

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: stripedelete on June 13, 2013, 11:42:28 AM

Don't say a word...

You're a sick dude.

Same chick...

25 years...

It's working.

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 13, 2013, 12:15:15 PM

Don't say a word...

You're a sick dude.

Same chick...

25 years...

It's working.
she's a saint for putting up with you    :icon_smile_big:

bull

First off I'd thank God you have a wife that will 'let' you have any classic cars, let alone 2 or 3. Because there are plenty of wives out there who seem to get off on making their husband's lives miserable for thinking about what it would be like to own just one.

Second, eliminate your lease favorite rendundancy.

GOTWING

:iagree: i have a friend of mine that still has his first car a 69 GTO, he has had it since he was 16. he is in his mid 40's now, the car has been off the road since around 90-92  ( blown motor ) needs redone again etc. he keeps it at his parents house out of sight out of mind, he always talks of getting started on it but i know the problem is his other half. She will have no parts of "dumping" money into a old car that will be a money pit! they just don't get it. he is the perfect "overhaulen" victim!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on June 13, 2013, 12:23:36 PM

Don't say a word...

You're a sick dude.

Same chick...

25 years...

It's working.
she's a saint for putting up with you    :icon_smile_big:

It's the other way around. :Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 13, 2013, 01:36:25 PM

Don't say a word...

You're a sick dude.

Same chick...

25 years...

It's working.
she's a saint for putting up with you    :icon_smile_big:

:smilielol:   nope i've met you both and she is the saint    :nana:

ACUDANUT

Well, we need pic's of the wife and of the cars here.  :icon_smile_big:

hemi68charger

Quote from: bull on June 13, 2013, 12:36:03 PM
First off I'd thank God you have a wife that will 'let' you have any classic cars, let alone 2 or 3. Because there are plenty of wives out there who seem to get off on making their husband's lives miserable for thinking about what it would be like to own just one.

I would have never offered up a proposal to any women with the slightest "dis-interest" or jealousy of cars........ Hence, there would have never been a "let" situation...  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 12, 2013, 09:10:25 PM
If you can't get past or get rid of the wife I would go with your gut and try to get rid of the 71. You will have a much easier time finding one of them in the future if you want to replace it. The 2nd Gens are much harder to replace in the long run.

What's her beef? Is it just in the way or do you owe money on them?

a big x2

carsnguitars

68's I have

carsnguitars

71's rt

carsnguitars

and last one...70 r/t .........Keep this one for sure! Be the last car that goes!...

JB400

If you and I were to swap shoes, I'd have to sell the green 71.  Looks like too much of a project compared to your other cars.  The effort you would put in that 71, you could put in your 68.  Of course, I'd be polishing up that green 71 and converting my son away from that run of the mill Camaro, but that is if I was really in your shoes.

How good is the hood of the Camaro for making ice cubes? :popcrn:

A383Wing

waiting for pics of wife now...then we will make a decision for you   :D

carsnguitars

The ice cube comment was pretty funny...I do have the Cowl hood I keep thinking of changing it....
As for the wife...she might not like me posting her pic...

But if you look at pic of Cheryl Tiegs in her 40s...that is it!....so my friends tell me....

I dont need sell cars, all paid for, they all drive, and as you can see in various states of work in progress.

I have thought if I sell the 68 charger & the 71 Charger...maybe a Cuda is in my future?? Or hell keep all and save up ADD the cuda when my wife is not looking!! LOL...

You gotta love this hobby gets addicting.....OH I love to get a GTO one day too...

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on June 13, 2013, 02:03:49 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 13, 2013, 01:36:25 PM

Don't say a word...

You're a sick dude.

Same chick...

25 years...

It's working.
she's a saint for putting up with you    :icon_smile_big:

:smilielol:   nope i've met you both and she is the saint    :nana:

It's all an act.

Behind closed doors, she's known as...

"Satan's Little Helper"  

:o :eek2:

Baldwinvette77

Tilar

:iagree:  I'd add another garage if she's hell bent on having a place to park her car inside. After being married as many times as I have, Nobody will "let" me have anything. They are mine, I earned them, she didn't. 

If she's sweet and nice and I loved her and she promised to not bitch about my cars or hobbies, she is welcome to stay. Too many other fish out there that wont hold your personal possessions over your own head.  :Twocents:
Dave  

HeavyFuel

Second, eliminate your lease favorite rendundancy.

:iagree:

You've got a nice variety of toys......and two '71's.   I'd give up one of them.

ACUDANUT

Get rid of the Chevy, or donate one of the 71's to me.  ;D

A383Wing

Yea...my vote is for one of the 71's to leave as well if any car goes....you will still have another

Bryan

carsnguitars

Quote from: A383Wing on June 13, 2013, 09:39:46 PM
Yea...my vote is for one of the 71's to leave as well if any car goes....you will still have another

Bryan

My heartache with the 71's, is they drive so much nicer. PW & AC too, I was amazed the windows still worked. That car sat for 30 years.
Even wife when she drove in my Chally and then drove one of the 71's said, I like this it drives nice!  Plus, 71s are getting harder to find now too (well least r/t versions).

After reading all suggestions, I want to keep me all. Why not!!! Now how to tell her....over nice dinner lots of wine!!! it worked for dating  :yesnod:

JB400

You just figured this out on your own.  Let me point this out to you.  Give her one of the 71's.  If she enjoyed the ride in the 71's, give her one.  If it's a gift to her, she won't want to get rid of it, and will want to keep it inside as well.  You might have to put one of your projects on the backburner to fix hers, but it'll be worth it.

A383Wing

I feel yer pain....we can't really tell ya what to keep or get rid of...all we can really do is let you decide..

we may joke around here in telling you to get rid of wife, or make a bigger garage...but it's all in fun

I guess I consider myself one of the lucky ones that has a wife that enjoys my cars as I do

Bryan

Ghoste

Find out what she would see as a compromise to keep the cars.

bull

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 13, 2013, 02:09:40 PM

I would have never offered up a proposal to any women with the slightest "dis-interest" or jealousy of cars........ Hence, there would have never been a "let" situation...  :icon_smile_big:

Yup, that's why I put 'let' in quotes. ;) There's a big difference between getting permission and discussing a proposal. Usually the difference manifests itself in a crappy marriage/divorce or a happy, productive and team-oriented relationship.

tsmithae

Honestly, if it were me...  if she liked one of the '71s, I would take the one she liked more, put a little money in making it look nicer and work 100%, if she questions you tell her that you're getting ready to let go of it.  Then, when it is done (whatever that takes, be it new paint, gremlin exorcism, etc) hand her the keys and give her a kiss.  :2thumbs:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Tilar

Quote from: carsnguitars on June 13, 2013, 09:56:20 PM

After reading all suggestions, I want to keep me all. Why not!!! Now how to tell her....over nice dinner lots of wine!!! it worked for dating  :yesnod:

Dinner and wine sounds good. "Honey, I decided I'm not selling any of my cars. Do you want more wine?"   ;)
Dave  

Homerr

Restore one of the '71's for the wife, sell her current car and let her park the '71 in the garage.