News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl Wrap Or Paint Opinions

Started by JMF, June 03, 2013, 05:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Hi guys, i'm looking at changing the look of my Challenger as I don't like the current paint scheme, the wheels will soon be replaced with some American Racing wheels but i'm not sure what to do with the paint, my 2 options are....

1) Paint the whole car black, the bottom half is already gloss black and all the door shuts and under hood etc are black so it should be quite simple for the painter to do this, the car was bare metalled only a few years back and the current paint is near show quality with no apparent bubbling or rust so i'm hoping there will be no major bodywork for them to deal with

2) Get it vinyl wrapped Matte Black, has anyone ever had much experience with this on an old car ? I've seen plenty of new cars done with good results but not seen many classics

Either option I would like but I just wanted to get some feedback and opinions before I go ahead, pictures of what it looks like now below

Thanks

SRT-440

Wrap is a good option..then if u don't like it u can remove it. I have been thinking about wrapping my GN "satin black" which is basically matte.
A lot of ppl that have no experence with the stuff will tell u it's not durable, doesn't stand up to weather, blah..blah..but they are wrong.
I was quoted $2200 to wrap my entire car...goes up from there if other colors or graphics are added. I was told it can last 5-7 years out in the weather before it needs replacing...prolly closer to 10 if it's garaged.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

JMF

Would this one be Satin black or Matte black ?

SRT-440

Looks satin black...has just a touch of shine/glare (or whatever it's called)...the satin black is a good way to avoid the "primer" look..it's still matte but isn't completely flat. If that makes sense. LOL  :scratchchin:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

1974dodgecharger

theres the other option is plastidip......complete car kit costs probably 400 bucks then peel off.  Just makes sure your car is nice and dry some folks try to trap water between the dip and body and damn the clear coat comes off and they wonder why its coming off after they peel off the plastidip.  ::)

JMF

Looks like the vinyl wrap option is out, had a guy come to look at it from a wrap company and tested a bit on there and where the white stripe has been painted on, it's at a different level to the blue and the black so it can be seen quite significantly through the wrap, looks like it will be paint

Silver R/T

You could sand down white stripe, it would be labor intensive but you would be able to vinyl wrap it then.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

JMF

Yeah thought about that but apparently the wrap needs to be applied to a painted surface so would have to paint it anyway if I did that

Silver R/T

There would be paint under the stripe, paint that's on the rest of the car. When car was painted then stripes were laid out and masked off. All you would have to do is sand stripes off.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722