News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge increasing Hellcat production

Started by 472 R/T SE, April 20, 2015, 03:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

This should make some folks happy.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/03/dodge-expands-hellcat-production.html

An anonymous source has tipped off Hellcat.org that the American automaker has added 1,000 more units to its production, although a breakdown of how many of those will be Charger and Challenger models was not revealed. In recent months, Dodge has criticized its dealerships for  taking deposits on SRT Hellcat models when the dealership might not even get enough inventory. The company also restricted orders earlier this month, admitting that demand was "unprecedented" for the 707-hp sports cars.

There's no confirmation on how many SRT Hellcats have been produced so far, although a member on the forum did say his build was number 2359 with the information delivered on March 20, 2015. For now, the order books on the SRT Hellcat remain closed.

Ghoste

Great news.  Hopefully that'll help stem the "market adjusted pricing" too.

charger Downunder

About time have a great product and failed in the production planning.
[/quote]

myk

I truly believe they didn't anticipate this level of demand.  Certainly, the car was destined to be a hot ticket item like the '05 Mustang, New Beetle and even the redesigned Challenger, but I don't think anyone projected this response from the public...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Lord Warlock

I believe dodge never considered there would be strong demand for a 60k msrp car.  Niche cars sometimes sell out but I think it took them by surprise that so many would pony up for one the first year.  I'm surprised myself.   Almost glad they didn't come in yellow or emerald green so I don't have to get something I don't truly NEED.  Its kind of on the same shelf as a supercharger. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

JB400

You'd think they'd have some idea of sales based off of Viper sales when it was first introduced.  Viper was the car to have in '92 and in '96 when the GTS coupe was introduced.

Mike DC

They would have made the original estimations based on hot-rod editions of Mustangs, Camaros, etc.

But the Challengers & Chargers are such large cars that their appeal stretches to a much bigger waiting market.  

And 700 horsepower sounds like so much, even if the power-to-weight ratios make it less impressive in reality.  

Ghoste

The msrp has a lot to do with it too.  Vipers were always in Corvette territory for pricing but the Hellcat isn't much more than Joe Lunchbuckets new Ram.

Brock Lee

I know guys thinking about buying one that are not currently "car guys" (a couple were in their youth). I know several guys on the fence thinking about selling old classics to fund a new Hellcat. They did something right and are appealing to some people previously not even in the market for something like that.

wingcar

I still find it a bit hard to believe that Chrysler didn't anticipate the interest and/or demand for the Hellcat a little better.  After all they promoted the heck out of it and every magazine with the possible exception of "Better Homes and Gardens" did write-ups on the Hellcat.   And, at the suggested retail price they placed on the car...it was a steal.   Of course as it turned out many dealers were the ones doing the stealing with their" Market Adjustment" pricing.  It seems as if someone in marketing missed the boat on this one.  If it was a matter of part suppliers unable to handle the orders, well that would be out of Chrysler's control for the most part....but, overall they should have planned better for the demand. 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

303 Mopar

Quote from: wingcar on April 23, 2015, 07:53:15 AM
I still find it a bit hard to believe that Chrysler didn't anticipate the interest and/or demand for the Hellcat a little better.  After all they promoted the heck out of it and every magazine with the possible exception of "Better Homes and Gardens" did write-ups on the Hellcat.   And, at the suggested retail price they placed on the car...it was a steal.   Of course as it turned out many dealers were the ones doing the stealing with their" Market Adjustment" pricing.  It seems as if someone in marketing missed the boat on this one.  If it was a matter of part suppliers unable to handle the orders, well that would be out of Chrysler's control for the most part....but, overall they should have planned better for the demand. 

I actually think some of the low production numbers were done on purpose.  Think about it; they generated a huge buzz, there are still 1000's of people who want a Hellcat, the 392 and other models are selling well too for those who can't afford/get a Hellcat, and Dodge has basically silenced the competition (Mustang, Camaro, Vette).
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Ghoste

Lets not also forget that most of the young hotshots coming fresh from marketing school are of a generation where the future is shiny green and stuffed full of electric cars that save the robins.  Not those yucky gas guzzling internal combustion things.  The guys who like those cars are all in engineering.  :lol:

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on April 23, 2015, 08:20:05 AM
Lets not also forget that most of the young hotshots coming fresh from marketing school are of a generation where the future is shiny green and stuffed full of electric cars that save the robins.  Not those yucky gas guzzling internal combustion things.  The guys who like those cars are all in engineering.  :lol:

Man that robin's really annoying you, haha...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

odcics2

When planned, gas was over a buck more a gallon...

You'd be surprised how much that influences purchasing decisions.    :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

Quote from: myk on April 23, 2015, 10:05:16 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on April 23, 2015, 08:20:05 AM

Man that robin's really annoying you, haha...

You have no idea pal.  ;)

1974dodgecharger

That and the collectibility of the car......ask anyone who owns a hellcat and yeah I have met them.  They plan to drive them, not abuse them and store them away.  People go nuts over them now imagine in 20 years how nuts they will be they say....this is the 1970 Hemi challenger all over again, but this time people believe they have their meal ticket for the future based on 1970 HEMI challenegrr.  I wouldn't blame em.......