News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Help with adjusting torsion bars - something is stripped

Started by preid, June 09, 2013, 10:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preid

Can anyone help determine what/which part is stripped - I'm able to adjust the LH torsion bar with no problem, however, when I turn the adjustment screw on the RH side, its very hard to turn and it makes a snapping sound after about a 20 degree turn.  So, I'm guessing something is stripped, either the screw mechanism or the torsion bar isn't rotating correctly.  Either way, I'm guessing I'll have to remove the torsion bar.  Has anyone experienced this and can give me some insight to fix this?  And, yes, I did loosen the pivot nut.

thanks for the help!

A383Wing

it might just be "dry threads"...get some PB Blaster from local part store and spray it on there..see if it helps

Bryan

charger Downunder

When adjusting take the load of it by jacking up the car.
[/quote]

green69rt

Quote from: preid on June 09, 2013, 10:25:57 PM
Can anyone help determine what/which part is stripped - I'm able to adjust the LH torsion bar with no problem, however, when I turn the adjustment screw on the RH side, its very hard to turn and it makes a snapping sound after about a 20 degree turn.  So, I'm guessing something is stripped, either the screw mechanism or the torsion bar isn't rotating correctly.  Either way, I'm guessing I'll have to remove the torsion bar.  Has anyone experienced this and can give me some insight to fix this?  And, yes, I did loosen the pivot nut.

thanks for the help!

Yeap, sound like a stripped TB adjusting screw or block.  Someone sells a replacement so they are available and not really expensive.  I looked in Firm Feel or Just suspensions and saw nothing but springsnthings may have them.
http://www.springsnthings.com/chrysler-suspension-parts

hemi71x

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

preid

Yes, I did use a lot of PB Blaster and raised the front end up to take the load, I'll check into getting a replacement adjuster screw and block.  I suspect the most difficult part will be removing the TB itself

thanks for all the help!