News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valiant Charger

Started by XS29L, June 09, 2013, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L

Just saw a '72 Valiant Charger on Ebay but wasn't able to link it , check it out.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Ghoste

You know, those are one of the cars still on my drive time bucket list.  Which is pretty amazing considering all of the other unusual, rare or exotic stuff I've been fortunate enough to drive. :lol:

XS29L

Saw one at the 2000 Mopar Nats. very cool . 
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Ghoste

I remember that one.  There have been a couple of others there too but I have yet to drive one.

Bob T

Haha, you'd be surprised how well a set up Valiant Charger performs, a six pack on a mild 265 will make around 320 flywheel hp , couple that with the 4 speed on an A body platform and you're having lots of fun, more suitable as a touring car than 1/4 mile warrior though, yeah I miss mine  :icon_smile_big:

When the Aussies were doing the development work for the E37/38's with Weber , they shipped a VG Valiant sedan to Italy and beat on it until they got it right, legend has it the E49 was the fastest accelerating production 6cyl for 25 years.
I pulled down a 440 4sp 70 Charger with a 14.1 and he was angry as haha, beaten by a little ol 6, a bit more work on it would've been easy mid 13

They still have quite a cult following here, even stock 265 auto models will go for 18 - 25k , but the R/T and E series start around 35k and can go over 200k for the matching # race history top end stuff

Neat cars  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

And its definitely the big dog I want to thrash.  :2thumbs:

Bob T

Quote from: Ghoste on June 09, 2013, 03:49:55 PM

Another scalp for the underdog  ;)
I'll put up a few links tonight with some info and pics
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

XS29L

Thanks I'd like to see/learn more about those cars.        :2thumbs:
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Ghoste

Quote from: Bob T on June 09, 2013, 03:57:00 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on June 09, 2013, 03:49:55 PM

Another scalp for the underdog  ;)
I'll put up a few links tonight with some info and pics

Sorry.  What can I say?  :shruggy: :lol:

JB400

I would so love to have one.  It'd look great next to a 2nd gen.  The stripe packages on those are cool

Bob T

Ok , here we go. Got home late from a car club meeting..

Yes, the stripe packages make them stand out from the bunch. Also, as the Chrysler parent corporation was putting up the dough, you can see the styling cues and trim lines evident from the big American cousin.
These are mainly VH chargers 71 -73 ( recognisable by the square headlights ) the VJ model late 72 - 75 had round headlights - actually fairly similar front treatment to a 70 'Cuda complete with the carrot chopper grill

A link with a bit of history first for those who are keen to know a bit more, Gary Bridger who wrote the article has also written ''Hey Charger" a definitive book on all things Australian Charger and a good read too , he has a Mercury Silver E49 and has done a lot for the popularity of the R/T cars through his book and is highly regarded

http://www.valiant.org/nz.html

Here is a link to a local auction site, I cant believe the prices on these cars, some sell and some hang around.
I think the new price was around the $3600- $4000 mark, I guess its all relative with current classic car prices, maybe some of the Aussie cars can put up some prices or links

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&cid=268&sidebar=1&rptpath=0001-0268-&5=&14=Chrysler&15=charger&18=0&18=0&24=0&24=0&searchRegion=100&sidebarSearch_keypresses=7&sidebarSearch_suggested=0

Righto, on with a few pics.
This was my 71 VH R/T , originally 2bbl 3spd but had been converted to E38 spec triple carb weber 45DCOE and b/w 4 speed when it came into NZ. I then did a motor tickle up with a plus cam and overbore and got it up around 320 hp. 3.5 lsd and it kept it quite snappy with good legs
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Bob T

Ah, a trip down memory lane  :lol:
I built an airbox for it and upped the jets and trumpets, woke it up a bit, there were a few guys around that were efi'ing or turboing the Chargers, man they could get on it quick.

I remember a while back two guys had a drag Charger turbo 265 and got in into the 9.90's putting out around 550hp, it was the exception though, the R/T's were the hot tickets and the stock 265 auto were for the family man with a sporty outlook for the weekend
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Bob T

Here was a big down country run, put on every two years by the R/T 6 pack Owners Club, the line up here travels from all around the country for a 3 day meetup and cruise, dinner and prizegiving. Most of these people have owned their R/T's for years, some over 20, so you can bet they are every bit as keen on E cars as the Aero Guys are on here. Seeing this many R/Ts lined up is a very rare thing. Along for the ride was a VG Pacer and me in my VH pacer 6pk 4sp, had sold the R/T by that stage

Of the total 1300 R/T production build, only 149 were E49's ( 302hp Top Dog ) next were E38, similar cam but 3 speed and 280 hp then E37 with similar hp and also the E48 which was the next model run out which had the facelift grill 4sp and 49 spec motor combo.
There was also an E55 V8 with a sluggish 340, very few ( maybe 150? ) of these were built but these had the potential to be the Bathhurst race winning machine being able to dish it out the the Ford XYGTHO Falcons and the Holen Monaro and Torana's.

Unfortunatley as development was underway by Chrysler, Ford and Holden leading up to the race, a Sydney journo wrote a ( now ) infamous article entitled ''Bullets on Wheels" after there was a spate of young guys dying in road accidents in these relatively for the time fast cars. There was a public backlash and the Federal govt threatened to pull the manufacturers police/public service/govt transport supply contracts unless something was done to rein in the big horsepower race. 3 months later it was all over for the big 3 and the tide had turned and that was it for high performance sedans for years.

Pics from the R/T Nationals March 2009
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

1974dodgecharger

most impressive!!!!!!  :cheers:

Bob T

A few more
Robs 1 of 2 Limelight E49.
Stripe treatment differences between VJ Charger ( blue ) VH Pacer ( silver ) and the VG Pacer in white.
Interesting factoid, the VG hardtop bodies were all assembled in the U.S. as the Australian plants did not have the capabilites to do it - they are all 68 Darts by another name with just trim and grill and tail treatments.
Unfortunately, we only got them as 245, 265 sixes and 318 2bbl's - no Mr Norm specials damnit :'(
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Baldwinvette77

i love Australian chargers  :drool5: only nitpick is the grille and headlights, other than that  :drool5:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Those are some great pics.  Stole them all. :D :2thumbs:

XS29L

Thanks great pictures and info !   Now I want one of those Chargers. Do you think a 440 Sixpack would fit and what about a Dana 60?  No it sounds like the 6 would do just fine.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Chippa

Well heres Faraones animal from here in Western Australia..... its mental and its heading over to the U.S for Drag week very soon  :2thumbs: Twin Turbo 472 stroker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Td5bSXXZyY

Bob T

Quote from: Chippa on June 12, 2013, 03:58:41 AM
Well heres Faraones animal from here in Western Australia..... its mental and its heading over to the U.S for Drag week very soon  :2thumbs: Twin Turbo 472 stroker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Td5bSXXZyY

Thats a Monster alright Chippa!, had seen it in youtube action before, I really like that its a clean bonnet, evrything hidden , until .....wait for it , spool up  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Chippa

haha hes been at it for a long time and had that same car for probably 25 yrs  :2thumbs: i remember seeing it in my early 20's when it was a 265 and it was quick back then!!

He runs a performance shop here and is a smart cookie with tuning and turning spanners

There is a write up on his car in the latest edition of Perth Street Car Bob T.... dont know if you get it over the pond or not...always a good read

Ghoste

Is there not also a magazine in Australia devoted just to the Valiant Chargers?

Chippa

Yeah Ghoste .....Chrysler Action i think its called....well the one i have purchased anyways

Ghoste

Could be.  I know I bought two issues of some Aussie periodical some years ago and I want to say it was devoted exclusively to Chargers but I could be wrong.