News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How helpful is the internet when it comes to completing your restoration?

Started by bull, June 06, 2013, 05:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1-5, how valuable would you say the internet is in restoring your car?

Could not be done without it
Very helpful
Helpful but unnecessary
Rarely useful
Useless and misleading

bull

IMO the internet, and in particular this site, has been very helpful to me during the restoration of my 68 Charger. I can't say it would be impossible for me to restore my Charger without it but there have been dozens of instances (maybe more than 100?) where the information I've gotten here has helped me tremendously. Especially since this is my first go at it.

How about you?

resq302

Quote from: bull on June 06, 2013, 05:17:43 PM
IMO the internet, and in particular this site, has been very helpful to me during the restoration of my 68 Charger. I can't say it would be impossible for me to restore my Charger without it but there have been dozens of instances (maybe more than 100?) where the information I've gotten here has helped me tremendously. Especially since this is my first go at it.

How about you?

Couldn't agree more!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mytur Binsdirti

As wise and knowlegable as I am (if I do say so myself  ;D), I still need some questions answered every once in a while. Plus, buying parts today online sure does beat the old days of scowering junkyards and the local want-ads. Although, looking back, going on those adventures in the 70's & 80's to look for and buy parts really was & a lot of fun.

68CoronetRT

I voted for "Couldn't have done it without it".

I'm a newer generation of Mopar owner and without the interwebs, (and firefighter more specifically :2thumbs:) I'd be lost!!

I do own a few books now and they do help out for the basics like torque patterns and firing order etc etc...

All the old timers I've talked to about these old motors(in person) are all stuck on the iron head this and that and all the old school tricks. I'm trying to introduce new school to old school :yesnod:

Cooter

If one knows compeltely nothing about the vehicle he/she is restoring, then the Internet is a good thing. However, if one expects every single answer to be answered correctly, then he/she is in for a surprize. While the Internet has been helpful to some looking to do that 'Ultimate' resto, many of the 'Car guys' seem to know their way around cars they restore without much from the internet.

Myself? Well, Every now and then I see something encountered by someone else that I haven't and it does help, but mostly I'm not looking to do a 'Trailer queen' resto that is so clean with all the paint dabs and such that I cannot drive it. Afterall, it will only look as good as the day you finish it ONCE if you plan on driving that 100 point resto.

But, many times I fell victim to the dreaded 'Holy crap, I never intended for this thing to go as far as it did' when looking at the Internet pics of others restos. This happen with 'Christine'. Think Charger parts are crazy priced? Try $3500.00 worth of bumpers and wings on a 1958 Plymouth. I never intended to install the wings, but once I saw how "Plain" the car looked without them here I go eating balogna sandwiches for 6 months in order to buy a set.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 06, 2013, 07:37:49 PM
Plus, buying parts today online sure does beat the old days of scowering junkyards and the local want-ads. Although, looking back, going on those adventures in the 70's & 80's to look for and buy parts really was & a lot of fun.

After posting this thread I thought of that factor, how the parts availability really exploded with the internet and the advent of craigslist and Ebay. It seems reproduction parts availability has gone through the roof during the past 5-6 years. Of course the demand may be about the same but the used parts inventory has really been picked clean.

bull

Quote from: Cooter on June 06, 2013, 09:42:43 PM
If one knows compeltely nothing about the vehicle he/she is restoring, then the Internet is a good thing. However, if one expects every single answer to be answered correctly, then he/she is in for a surprize. While the Internet has been helpful to some looking to do that 'Ultimate' resto, many of the 'Car guys' seem to know their way around cars they restore without much from the internet. 

I woiuld imagine a lot of that has to do with how complete the car is when you get it. If it's grandma's old grocery-getter that has never been messed with all you have to do is take about a thousand pics and duplicate it. But if/when you're yarding one out of a barn that's got half its parts missing it's a lot tougher.

Bob T

Super helpful site and info on here, it has been a great source of "how to's" since I joined looking for solutions to my burnt up wiring dilemmas in my old 68 318 Charger. When I redid the front end in the R/T , it was thanks to the helpful folk on here for the tips, your thread as well for other stuff too bull, thanks.
I've learnt a lot and have put up a few threads on things I've fixed or redone as I've gone and hopefully someone else can make use of it too. - like having to install micro switches on a 69 trans in a 68 car to replicate functions for starter relay and reverse lights.
Being from a part of the world where American cars do just not exist in the junkyards, there is a strong element of fix it yourself with what's available
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Fred

I only came across the forum after I finished restoring my charger but it's served me well in ironing out a lot of the little bugs that presented themselves after the restoration.
It's been a wonderful source of information.
A big thanks to all members that have contributed their considerable knowledge.  It was very much appreciated.    :2thumbs:   :cheers:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

hawkeye

I could have done it without the internet but I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.  I bought one book (Project Charger by Larry Lyles) that really wasn't much help.  Here, you get information plus encouragement, compassion, and motivation.  There are a hundred things that I am doing to my Charger that better, different and more factory correct than I had planned.  Maybe someday I even get it done!!!!

Dino

I've done several restorations before internet and it's quite a bit more challenging.  The net has made it so much easier it's like night and day.  I have to say though that it's extremely gratifying to find a hard to find part without internet.  There's something about the hunt, it's usually more gratifying than actually finishing a car. 

Would I go back to those days?  Hell no!  If I can't find the answer online then I'm not even doing the job anymore.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Fred

I've got to admit that my workshop manuals have been a great help to me also.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JimmyB

This is my first Mopar - in fact my first V8, and my first American - after a succession of small European cars.  I'm not sure I would have taken it on at all without the information, help and encouragement available online!

Ghoste

I would have ditched the 67 years ago without the internet to find people who knew about the fastbacks and parts.

Kern Dog

I bought the Charger in 2000 and it was "finished" in 2003. I have been tinkering ever since. I joined Moparts in 2010, then I joined FABO, Here, FBBO, Yellowbullet...
These boards have helped me refine the car, but the majority was done by myself and a few pals.
The internet forums may have been helpful though. I was very resistant to accept the importance of the internet.