News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

REtarding the cam to reduce cranking compression?

Started by Kern Dog, June 07, 2013, 03:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I'm pondering all sorts of tactics to make my Charger more street friendly. One of the areas needing help is the high compression 440/493.
I have seen it written elsewhere that a camshaft with a LATER intake closing event would reduce cranking compression. In all of this, one alternative to changing cams is to simply RETARD the '509 cam that I have now. Less cranking compression means lower cylinder pressure. This may help reduce detonation.
What say you?

firefighter3931

Retarding the cam will move the powerband around so it will have less low end throttle response but it will still make the same cylinder pressure....just at a higher RPM in the powerband. Generally every 4* of cam timing equates to 200rpm shift in power.

So, for example ; if the engine detonates @ 2500 with the current cam timing....retarding the cam 4* would just delay the detonation to ~2700Rpm.  :yesnod:

You need a cam with a wider LSA not one with a delayed intake valve opening event. The tighter the LSA, the greater the spike in "peak" torque.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs