News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are A body and B body 4 speeds the same?

Started by skip68, February 23, 2006, 09:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

Just want to know if A body 4 speeds are the same as B body? ?
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Troy

Not exactly. The A-body trans also uses a shorter tailshaft so it won't drop directly into a B-body. You can swap out the tail with a used B-body tail or an aftermarket one and it should work in a B-body. Also, most A-body 4-speeds are the weaker 23 spline models. Weaker is a relative term though since they put them behind just about everything except 440s and Hemis. I believe the tailshafts/tailhousings were the same between 18 or 23 spline models.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

skip68

Thanks Troy.  I found one on craiglists for $200. and just wanted to know if it would work or not.  The ad said A-body but I wasn't sure if it was the same.  Thank you sir,   Chuck..........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

John_Kunkel

In addition, many A body 833's have the smaller diameter output shaft and share the small slip yoke with the 904 automatic.

Some good 4-speed info:

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Troy

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 23, 2006, 05:11:34 PM
In addition, many A body 833's have the smaller diameter output shaft and share the small slip yoke with the 904 automatic.

Some good 4-speed info:

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm
Heh, normally I just post a link there but I was half asleep this morning when I replied... :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.