News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rusty bolts? Check out this stuff!

Started by Rosco, June 05, 2013, 06:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosco

Not sure if this is the right place - I'm sure someone will move it if not - but I thought this might be worth sharing for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

At my work, we regularly have to deal with rusted and seized bolts, studs, etc. Normally, removing them involves a lot of WD-40, breaker bars with a 3 or 6 foot length of scaffold tube on the end (naughty, I know, haha...) and a lot of yelling, swearing.

Anyway, recently we've been using a new aerosol penetrant product, called "Yield", made by a mob called 'Chemsearch'.

This stuff is amazing.

Normally, we spend over a week undoing the split-line bolts on our gas turbine units at the start of an overhaul. This time, we went over the machine a couple days prior to starting when it was shutdown to be isolated, and gave all the bolts a good spray with this stuff.

2 and a half days. Halved the time it took to break the split-line
Bolts that we usually really struggle to undo, while still not exactly 'easy', came apart so much quicker. And none of them snapped! (Which is a bit disappointing, as normally there are a few, and whoever snaps one has to buy a slab of beer for the work crew.

I believe it's a little pricey, but it's definitely worth it if you come across it.

I know I'll be visiting the toolstore at work and err... "purchasing" a can or two when I get stuck into pulling the charger apart
"She needs premium, Dude! PREMIUM!!"

Baldwinvette77

sounds amazing, but i just usually chop out bolts that dont cooperate  :hack: , its therapeutic at times  :icon_smile_tongue:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bull

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 05, 2013, 06:36:39 AM
sounds amazing, but i just usually chop out bolts that dont cooperate  :hack: , its therapeutic at times  :icon_smile_tongue:

I do that too but only after I'm sure they can easily be replaced. Nothing worse than cutting something into pieces only to discover there's only two usable ones left on the planet.

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on June 05, 2013, 10:08:26 AM

I do that too but only after I'm sure they can easily be replaced. Nothing worse than cutting something into pieces only to discover there's only two usable ones left on the planet.

I'm not alone?   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Rosco

Quote from: bull on June 05, 2013, 10:08:26 AM

Yeah, I like breaking stuff too - doesn't everybody at some point or another? But sometimes that's not an option. Either, it's in a crap spot, with barely enough space to get a spanner onto it, or like Bull said, they're not easy to replace.

ws23rt

When I find a bolt that has to come out (especially in a tight spot) and first attempt with something like "yield" makes me nervous. Heating the bolt with a small flame till red or almost and allow cooling will usually break the bond. For a corrosion bond this works well. If the threads are a mess or galled than breaking or cutting the bolt doesn't matter.

Indygenerallee

Quoteremoving them involves a lot of WD-40
That's your first problem trying to use a product made to displace water to soak into rusty crevices.. PB Blaster has never let me down.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

ACUDANUT

Sounds like a promoter/seller just joined our site.  :scratchchin:

A383Wing

Quote from: Indygenerallee on June 05, 2013, 10:37:31 PM
That's your first problem trying to use a product made to displace water to soak into rusty crevices.. PB Blaster has never let me down.

:iagree:

JB400

Quote from: A383Wing on June 05, 2013, 11:18:25 PM

:iagree:
After helping to get an engine unstuck using this stuff,  I'm sold on it.  Will probably never use anything else, except at work.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Rosco

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 05, 2013, 11:15:09 PM
Sounds like a promoter/seller just joined our site.  :scratchchin:

Haha no, though looking back on how I wrote that, it does give off that kinda vibe haha

Yes it displaces water, but it's also a penetrant and lubricant, so is good for loosening up seized things like nuts and bolts.

Haven't used PB Blaster before, but I'll give it a try if I come across it

A383Wing

you won't go back to WD40 if you use PB Blaster....

Rosco

I won't be going back after using Yield either, haha