News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A833 Tranny Rebuild

Started by Pouria, May 31, 2013, 08:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pouria

Hi;
After doing the K member I am going to start my A833 rebuild. The factory trans was a TF727 but it was replaced by A833 later by the previous owner. Below are some pics:

The casting number reads 0-99388 on the lever side and A4 C 99129 H on the other side. Also, the stamped numbers are PP8333388, 1G235218 and 0014. From the stamped numbers I could understand that it is made on 6th of November of 1970 and installed on the car in 1971 but there is absolutely no data about the raised casting numbers anywhere Any idea about finding the gear ratios and so on? I think I have to turn the output shaft and count the number of turns on the input shaft, this is the most accurate way it is a 23 spline model. I do not know where to begin so I need your help and hints and comments for the way I should go to have it rebuilt professionally.

68CoronetRT

Sorry I wont be able to help you but can you do me a favor? Can you measure how big the shaft is in front of the splines? Just the thickness where it stabs into the pilot bearing.

Thanks! :cheers:

John_Kunkel

Gear ratios for the '71-'74 23-spline trans are:

1st= 2.47
2nd= 1.77
3rd= 1.34
4th= 1.00

Rebuilding a 4-speed can be an expensive job; to really "rebuild" the trans one needs to replace every gear that has dog teeth, all the synchros, bearings, etc. Most transmissions that are advertised as rebuilt are merely refurbished with the original gears and the other wear parts replaced with new.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Pouria

QuoteCan you measure how big the shaft is in front of the splines? Just the thickness where it stabs into the pilot bearing.
I am away from the garage for a few days but I asked my friend to measure for you. The thickness of the shaft between the splines and the body is 31.65mm, the thickness of the splines is 25.20mm and the thickness of the end of the shaft (engine end) is 20mm. I hope it helps.
QuoteGear ratios for the '71-'74 23-spline trans are:

1st= 2.47
2nd= 1.77
3rd= 1.34
4th= 1.00

Rebuilding a 4-speed can be an expensive job; to really "rebuild" the trans one needs to replace every gear that has dog teeth, all the synchros, bearings, etc. Most transmissions that are advertised as rebuilt are merely refurbished with the original gears and the other wear parts replaced with new.
Thanks for the info on the ratios. Yes you are right, it is expensive but should be cheaper than buying a new after market tranny. Thanks for your hints. I'll have my hands dirty on the tranny next week so any other comments or hints are more than welcome. I believe I can get gears and synchros and bearings at a good price in my area. There are few customers for them now and the parts are still available in the old shops.

Chatt69chgr

You can get all of the gears and synchro's from:

http://zbag.com/

couple that with a rebuild kit which includes the bearings, gaskets, and misc. parts from either Passon Perf. or Brewers and your good to go with, essentially, a new transmission.