News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wilwood Q pads

Started by Patronus, June 03, 2013, 08:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patronus

Does anyone have experience with Wilwoods answer to their squeal, the Q pads? They also offer an isolator shim.. I'd just hate to stick money into a piece of crap. Feel a bit bad about recommending them to people. They were working fine, now.. wishing I would've bought the Baers..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

HPP

Have you talked to the guys at Wilwoods tech line yet? They have access to a large number of compounds that you may not have considered for your application. I have known guys who thought Wilwoods sucked until they got the correct pad compound in there.

Patronus

For anyone listening, we had the rotors turned and followed bedding procedures for the Q pads, same squealing. It's going to end any chance of a cruise for the 4th, and probably much of our short car season. I would advise anyone considering a Wilwood brake product to think again.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Mopar Nut

That's a bummer about Wilwood, how many miles do you have on them? I know it's late, but Baer SS4 and SS4+ Systems work great.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

bill440rt

Interesting.  :scratchchin:
I have over 1200 miles now on my Wilwoods and not even a peep.  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

HPP

If the pads were not bedding correctly originally, turning the rotors and trying to rebed them wont solve the problem. Bedding has to do with the compounds in the pad and heat cycling, not the rotor surface.

Did you call Wilwood tech and talk to them yet?

bill440rt

Quote from: HPP on July 07, 2013, 02:13:45 PM
If the pads were not bedding correctly originally, turning the rotors and trying to rebed them wont solve the problem. Bedding has to do with the compounds in the pad and heat cycling, not the rotor surface.

Did you call Wilwood tech and talk to them yet?

Wilwood had a specific break-in procedure for the pads outlined in their manuals.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Patronus

Been on hold more than once at Wilwood... We tried the Q pad with a freshly cut rotor, followed the bedding procedures both times for both compounds.. still un drivable..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Mopar Nut

Where did you purchase the Wilwood?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

firefighter3931

I have a set of Hawk HPS pads and they are quiet and stop very well. Wilwood's website describes their Q pad almost identical to the HPS pad. I'm wondering if maybe you got the wrong pads with your kit ? It sounds like you recieved a high friction race pad instead of a dual purpose street/strip part  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Patronus

We got both the brake kit and the Q pads from Jegs. Our next option is to try new rotors. The rotors do have a "hue" in the surface, (even after cutting) Im thinking the rotors may be compromised.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Patronus

Dooh... Did some looking, actually purchased from Summit. They only have a 12/mo return policy. They connected me with Wilwood service. I told him what we've tried and asked him for further advise. There were a few awkward moments of silence when I knew nothing would be done. I mentioned my extensive online research into this and how I wasn't alone. I think my only options are to try replacing the rotors themselves, ($350/pr) or different brakes all together. I will post a pic of the rotors later. They are dark across the surface, my gut is they're bad. (?)
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Patronus

The rotors seem to be the problem, they just dont look right.  :scratchchin:

There rotors have only the bedding procedure on them, no miles.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Patronus

numbah two.. So far so good...
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bill440rt

Yep, those rotors look MUCH better!  :yesnod: