News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 vin/order number info

Started by bluefury, June 03, 2013, 10:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefury

I've located a 68 Charger R/T and need some info about the VIN-order number.

The fender tag, core support and rear trunk rail number all match but the VIN number on the dash tag is different. Everything points to this being a true R/T. Is it correct for these numbers to differ....?

Thanks.
61 Plymouth Fury convertible
65 Dodge coronet 500 convertible
69 Chrysler 300 convertible

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Dans 68

Quote from: skip68 on June 03, 2013, 10:18:05 AM
It should all match. 

Skip must have missed his breakfast....    :rofl:

On a '68 it does not all match. The fender tag and body partial stampings should match, while the vin number will match the partial stampings on the engine and transmission ("if" they were stamped. Early production cars usually did not get the stampings on the engine and transmission The stamping should be located at the engine/transmission interface behind the oil pressure sender). If you have photos post them up! And the only way to determine beyond a doubt that the particular body and engine/transmission are factory is to have a build sheet that ties them together. There are a lot of threads on this subject.

But it sounds like you have a true R/T on your hands. Again, post any pics so we all can gaze....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

skip68

:scratchchin:  I thought the V.I.N. tag numbers are supposed to match the body/core support......   :shruggy:   Is that a R/T thing only? 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bluefury

Quote from: Dans 68 on June 03, 2013, 10:43:23 AM
Quote from: skip68 on June 03, 2013, 10:18:05 AM
It should all match. 

On a '68 it does not all match. The fender tag and body partial stampings should match, while the vin number will match the partial stampings on the engine and transmission ("if" they were stamped. Early production cars usually did not get the stampings on the engine and transmission The stamping should be located at the engine/transmission interface behind the oil pressure sender).
But it sounds like you have a true R/T on your hands. Again, post any pics so we all can gaze....

Dan[/b][/size]

Thanks for that info. The engine is an "E" series, (1969), 440 HP. I got under the car and the machined pad on the side of the block looks to be blank. Perhaps a service block. I couldn't view the transmission ID pad.
Here are a couple more pictures[/b][/size][/size][/color]

Dans 68

Quote from: skip68 on June 03, 2013, 11:26:21 AM
:scratchchin:  I thought the V.I.N. tag numbers are supposed to match the body/core support......   :shruggy:   Is that a R/T thing only? 

No, on a '68 the fender tag number matches the body/core support stampings for all Chargers. The vin matches the engine/transmission stampings (if present).

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bluefury

No, on a '68 the fender tag number matches the body/core support stampings for all Chargers. The vin matches the engine/transmission stampings (if present).

Dan
[/quote]

SO.... Just to clarify. The dash VIN number only matches the engine & trans number.... and not any of the body or fender tag stampings.
The engine in this car seems to have been swapped out for a 69 unit, I could not verify the trans #. The seats have been recovered with non original material and carpet changed and there is no build sheet to verify anything.

The car is for sale and I would like to clarify the numbers thing before deciding.

Dans 68

Yes. So you do have the engine partial vin stamping, behind the oil pressure sending unit? I'm guessing that it is a '69 stamping by your comment.

Not uncommon to have a replacement engine on these cars. They are usually played with very hard.

Dan

Charger_Dart

It looks like the VIN starts off with XS29 which is a good sign its a real RT. The next digits are probably L8G on the VIN then the serial number.
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

bluefury

Quote from: Charger_Dart on June 03, 2013, 01:44:47 PM
It looks like the VIN starts off with XS29 which is a good sign its a real RT. The next digits are probably L8G on the VIN then the serial number.

Everything seems to point to it being a real R/T with a 69 440 HP2 engine. The plant code is "B", (jefferson ave Detroit).

This car has a great body and a new vinal top installed.... runs and drives and is a console automatic fac A/C car. All the A/C stuff from the firewall forward is missing. Manual steering and drum brakes, has the cutouts for L&R dash speakers but an A/M thumdial. Front seats are recovered 70 buckets. It really needs to be taken apart and redone. I'm not sure what to offer for it..... He's at 22500K OBO.

skip68

Got it Dan.    :cheers:   My car was originally a 318 car so all numbers match.   :2thumbs:   I never knew the 383 and bigger motor early 68's had dash V.I.N. tags that didn't match the rest.   

Just 6T9 CHGR

22.5k is a bit much for that car the way it sits...15k tops IMHO  :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cdr

Quote from: skip68 on June 03, 2013, 03:08:39 PM
Got it Dan.    :cheers:   My car was originally a 318 car so all numbers match.   :2thumbs:   I never knew the 383 and bigger motor early 68's had dash V.I.N. tags that didn't match the rest.   

all 68 is the way dan says,no matter what engine it has,if your 68 has the vin stamped on the body someone other than ma mopar did it.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 03, 2013, 04:11:29 PM
22.5k is a bit much for that car the way it sits...15k tops IMHO  :Twocents:

In my opinion, that's being generous. Look at the rear view picture and how the quarters meet the rear valance . Plus look at the gaps around the rear bumper. Something's been done there and no offense, but there's a definate lack of quality workmanship.

Homerr

I'm with Mytur on this, trunk latch painted over, left rear tail light is cockeyed, side bodyline crease looks a little on the fuzzy side.

2nd line on fender tag shows A = 1 which is a 26" radiator.  The radiator in the car has the upper hose coming in on the drivers side which is the opposite of standard for a 26".  Not a huge deal, but one more thing if you want a correct car.

Dans 68

Going by the fender tag the dash should have a tic toc tach instead of a clock (T7). Seems like a confused R/T.  ;)

Dan

Troy

Just my observations:

That's an early car judging by the brackets by the tail lights. Fender tag says December so that agrees. What is the sequence # on the VIN?

Fender tag calls for an 8-track and the dash corroborates that.

It's MM1 bronze! Great color in 68 and there aren't many.

Just like mine, lots of options but some noticeable ones missing (for instance, A/C and 8 track but no power brakes).

Assuming the car is mostly original, you can check the rear springs to make sure they have a different number of leaves.

It looks good for the most part but, I agree, there's some weirdness in the body panels in the rear. Also, that fender tag looks pretty bad to be sitting on a car with no rust.

My opinion: I sold my automatic R/T in better times for a lot less than that. For not much more than that I think you could get a much nicer car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1974dodgecharger

sweet that car was coming off the line 4 days after mine....(C11)

bluefury

Quote from: Dans 68 on June 03, 2013, 05:13:29 PMSeems like a confused R/T.  ;)

[/b]
I agree. This car was most likely taken apart and left for a long period of time, then reassembled with whatever parts and fasteners that were handy. I suspect the left 1/4 panel has been replaced. I was told he had the original radiator being boiled out and this rad was installed so the car could be driven.
The car shows no signs of ever having any rust problems or major body damage. Seats, correct dash parts, radio, all the A/C stuff and a bunch of little items would all need to be located.
With the 69 engine it will never be matching but it would be a fine high level driver R/T. I like the original copper & black combo too.

I appreciate all the info and advise...... It's been a big help.

john108

I am the original owner of my 1968 Charger RT.  The last 8 digits of the VIN # are stamped on the engine and transmission joint flange near the pressure sensor.  I believe this agrees with other statements above.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: john108 on June 05, 2013, 06:44:46 PM
I am the original owner of my 1968 Charger RT.  The last 8 digits of the VIN # are stamped on the engine and transmission joint flange near the pressure sensor.  I believe this agrees with other statements above.

depending on build date....mid 68 builds matched roughly before that they did not.