News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 superbee hideaway headlights

Started by shaffservice, June 04, 2013, 10:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaffservice

Working on a friends 1971 superbee, wired the hideaway headlights to the relay and the circuit breaker,have a schematic for wiring it, have the headlight motor plugged in and the ground wire attached,the headlight doors work but when you have them closed the relay clicks and the motor gets hot,when open everything is fine,i cannot find a complete wiring schematic showing where the wires come from to the relay and circuit breaker, have tried another relay and breaker but it doesn't help,we think the harness under the dash is from year one, the wiring to the headlight motor is original, anyone have any ideas?

chargd72

Did you follow this schematic?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

shaffservice

yes that is the exact schematic i followed

ottawamerc

Sounds like the end switches in the motor need servicing? They may not be opening at the end of the door closed cycle so the motor is still trying to force the doors closed. I would try checking there :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

71green go

Quote from: ottawamerc on June 05, 2013, 06:20:15 AM
Sounds like the end switches in the motor need servicing? They may not be opening at the end of the door closed cycle so the motor is still trying to force the doors closed. I would try checking there :cheers:

Agreed it is most likely the internal limit switches in the motor....

shaffservice

Thank you for the help i will check the limit switches

Topher

The gear is stripped. I have new ones available.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

ACUDANUT

71 SuperBee's did not have hideaway headlights  :scratchchin:

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

ACUDANUT

Maybe it was a option. ? The ones that I have seen did not have them.  :shruggy:

billfury

71green go

Quote from: Topher on June 05, 2013, 09:54:28 PM

My gear is new and doing same thing...it was the limit switch

Topher

Quote from: 71green go on June 06, 2013, 11:33:21 AM
Quote from: Topher on June 05, 2013, 09:54:28 PM

My gear is new and doing same thing...it was the limit switch

If it's out of adjustment it will do the same thing, and will strip the gear. Does anyone have a copy of the adjustment procedure saved so it can be posted? If not, I'll see what I can do to copy the one I have and post it.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com