News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 choke rod length

Started by Voss, June 02, 2013, 07:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

Here's the deal. I got my AVS 4429S rebuilt and installed on my -68 Charger R/T. Got new fuel lines, vapor separator and fuel pump. Basically I want a factory correct setup.

I also got a new #45# choke from Tony's Mopar Parts (previous owner removed the old choke when installing a Edelbrock carb with electric choke).

Intake is stock.

My problem is that the choke rod is just too long. When engine is warmed up there is no way the choke can pull back the choke valve to fully open using this rod length. I don't get it, the #45# choke should be correct.

Did the 440 HP versions have a carb spacer to isolate from heat? I have not seen that in the FSM but if that is the case the choke rod length can be understood. Otherwise I have to get a correct choke, or fix the rod to the correct length. I spent like $50 on this part so I hoped for a correct quality part... But, worst things have happened.  :yesnod:

tan top

prolly going to have to bend rod , see below , actually the in the FSM , ( follow it to the letter ) , it calls for bending a few rods to get the movement & operation required  , had to with mine, in the carter rebuild kit there is a fiber type base gasket about  just shy of 1/4 of an inch, have seen them fitted  under loads of carter AVS carburettors on 383 & 440s , see picture B   , also have seen  nothing just a conventional base gasket  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Voss

@tan top: Many thanks for the pics and info!!  :cheers: I will work on the car tomorrow, will post an update when I'm back from the garage.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Voss on June 02, 2013, 07:08:27 AM
Here's the deal. I got my AVS 4429S rebuilt and installed on my -68 Charger R/T. Got new fuel lines, vapor separator and fuel pump. Basically I want a factory correct setup.

I also got a new #45# choke from Tony's Mopar Parts (previous owner removed the old choke when installing a Edelbrock carb with electric choke).

Intake is stock.

My problem is that the choke rod is just too long. When engine is warmed up there is no way the choke can pull back the choke valve to fully open using this rod length. I don't get it, the #45# choke should be correct.

Did the 440 HP versions have a carb spacer to isolate from heat? I have not seen that in the FSM but if that is the case the choke rod length can be understood. Otherwise I have to get a correct choke, or fix the rod to the correct length. I spent like $50 on this part so I hoped for a correct quality part... But, worst things have happened.  :yesnod:

I wonder how many of us still use a vapor separator. All of my BB cars don't need them, so they went into the trash 20 years ago.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 03, 2013, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: Voss on June 02, 2013, 07:08:27 AM

Intake is stock.

I wonder how many of us still use a vapor separator. All of my BB cars don't need them, so they went into the trash 20 years ago.

How are your return lines hooked up without the separator?

ACUDANUT

I don't use a return line. I wonder how many of us do ?.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 04, 2013, 08:10:10 AM
I don't use a return line. I wonder how many of us do ?.

Hmmm.  I thought it was standard issue, something you want, to help prevent vapor lock and similar fuel line related maladies.

ACUDANUT

No body I know uses one. Lets start a poll. :2thumbs: