News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Stevearino on March 29, 2016, 05:00:55 PM
With the grill molded I bent some .035 steel into an "L" shape 1/4" by 1/8" to make a surround for the grill to be set in. I took a paper pattern from the fender scoop opening  to give me the proper shape.
After gluing the grill into the surround with some steel panel adhesive I cleaned and primed the piece and set it in the fender. It will be painted black and adhered into place with the same panel adhesive.

Kudos Steve! It was in you all along to bring that detail out in that area, it's just that it's easy to gloss over areas that one sometimes thinks doesn't need a fastidious amount of detail done to it, but you've done an incredible amount of work and detail to all the other facets of your build, that the "concern" from myself and others was not a criticism of your earlier effort, but more of a "battle-call" or "cheer leading" for you to maintain the pace and level of your build, you'll be glad that you revisited that area now, rather than not address it and to hear a comment down the road something the likes of, "Man what an awesome build, but he kinda "cheesed out" those scoop openings"...

The Devil is in the details, it either makes, or breaks the build, keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, through out your thread; because of it, EVERYONE learns/discovers something from you regardless of their skill sets/level Thank you!

Mike

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona Guy on March 30, 2016, 09:37:23 PM
You are a fine Boy Scout :)

Dane
So THAT'S what BS stands for. :lol:

Quote from: rapidtransitrick on April 02, 2016, 07:50:58 AM
nailed it!!!     :2thumbs:

Thanks rapidtransit. Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then.

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 02, 2016, 09:28:54 AM
Kudos Steve! It was in you all along to bring that detail out in that area, it's just that it's easy to gloss over areas that one sometimes thinks doesn't need a fastidious amount of detail done to it, but you've done an incredible amount of work and detail to all the other facets of your build, that the "concern" from myself and others was not a criticism of your earlier effort, but more of a "battle-call" or "cheer leading" for you to maintain the pace and level of your build, you'll be glad that you revisited that area now, rather than not address it and to hear a comment down the road something the likes of, "Man what an awesome build, but he kinda "cheesed out" those scoop openings"...

The Devil is in the details, it either makes, or breaks the build, keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, through out your thread; because of it, EVERYONE learns/discovers something from you regardless of their skill sets/level Thank you!

Mike

Coming from you Mike that is high praise. The beauty of doing a project like this where everyone can see warts and all is that once in a while you have enough eyes on the situation to call out that wart you missed. Thanks again.

WELL. Speaking of warts. I am a more than a little miffed right now. Before I went through all the effort to mold my own grill for the fender scoops I had scoured E-Bay and Google searching for aftermarket ABS plastic grill that matched my needs. All searches ended in me finding grills that were dimensionally twice as big as I needed. Hence the big effort to mold my own piece.  I was doing some work on the nose and I was looking at the lower grill that I had made with some square stainless mesh and thought," You know. That larger honeycomb that I found might be just the ticket to match the lower grill with the scoops". Brilliant right? So I go back to E-Bay to find the stuff and......You guessed it. The size honeycomb I needed for the scoops is the first thing that pops up. :brickwall:

Moving on. Before I could put the fenders back on the car I had to create a back stop for the grill screens for those fender scoops. I took some pre-painted black aluminum and bent an "L" flange and fitted it up in the scoop about 1/2" in. I will be eventually affixing the screen in with a thin bead of black silicone that will be easily cut out if I need to remove the screens. The "L" flange is held in place with 3m double faced trim tape. If both surfaces are non-pourus and cleaned with Acetone this stuff doesn't let go. If you use it you better be sure your piece is where you want it before you stick it  down. Getting it back off is almost impossible.

Finally the last picture shows the painted grill in place.

Stevearino

Some small bits here. I had bought new seals a couple of years ago and went to install one of the door jamb seals. Long story short it fit like crap and was molded badly. Probably not news to you guys who do restorations. What is the point of making stuff that fits like crap. Again probably preaching to the choir. So I refurbished the original pieces that came with the car. The one on the right is the original piece.

I painted the underside of my gas fill cover with some SEM black trim paint. This stuff is great in that it has a metal etch component and practically no build up. It wears really great also so I figured that in this area I would need something that could take a bit of a beating. If it does scar touch up is easy because it is in a aerosol can.

I installed the cover for the last time in the car sealing it to the base with silicone.

Stevearino

Finally this weekend I put the front fenders back on for the last time. It is finally starting to look like a car.

Baldwinvette77

Thats one aweome looking charger 500  :coolgleamA:

Charger_Fan

The car sure looks better with more of it's clothes on (fenders). :D 

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on April 04, 2016, 09:10:20 AM
Are you just saying that because it doesn't have the nose & wing on yet? :poke:  :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

68pplcharger

Car is looking slick Stevarino...

keepat

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

tan top

:o   :2thumbs:  looking good  :yesnod: :drool5: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mike69440

Quote from: Stevearino on April 04, 2016, 08:41:52 AM
Finally this weekend I put the front fenders back on for the last time. It is finally starting to look like a car.

Steve,

This company sure is putting a lot of effort into the wrong car. http://www.transamworldwide.com/buildyourown

It they manage to actually make a profit converting a silly Hot Wheels/Transformer car into Burt wanna be ride, they should put her next effort in bringing back Gen 2 Chargers and Areo cars based on the SRT and or Hell Kitty.  I would expect they could not build them fast enough to satisfy demand at $150-200 K

Your built is of the highest craftsmanship, and is above all, tasteful, bad-ass and sexy.

ACUDANUT

We want paint. we want paint.  :cheers:

Stevearino

Quote from: Charger_Fan on April 04, 2016, 01:59:51 PM
The car sure looks better with more of it's clothes on (fenders). :D 

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on April 04, 2016, 09:10:20 AM
Are you just saying that because it doesn't have the nose & wing on yet? :poke:  :icon_smile_big:

So I should stop right here and built a 500? :rotz:

68pplcharger,keepat,XS29L9B2 and tan top. Thanks for the compliments. They keep me moving on.

Quote from: mike69440 on April 10, 2016, 08:11:30 PM

Steve,

This company sure is putting a lot of effort into the wrong car. http://www.transamworldwide.com/buildyourown

It they manage to actually make a profit converting a silly Hot Wheels/Transformer car into Burt wanna be ride, they should put her next effort in bringing back Gen 2 Chargers and Areo cars based on the SRT and or Hell Kitty.  I would expect they could not build them fast enough to satisfy demand at $150-200 K

Your built is of the highest craftsmanship, and is above all, tasteful, bad-ass and sexy.

mike69440, I saw the the video of the Smokey and the Bandit car roll out and I happen to like what they did very much. There presentation left me cold though.
You might think they were curing cancer. They seem to think they are doing something that no one else could possibly do. It is just an over glorified body kit with some decals and a tuned motor. Get a grip. Imagine what you could do with all those resources in equipment and engineering talent. Cheesh. :rotz:

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 11, 2016, 01:55:25 PM
We want paint. we want paint.  :cheers:

I'm Paintin'! I'm Paintin! :eek2:

Well doesn't look like a lot but I tackled getting paint on the last pieces that needed the inards done. The headlight doors and the inside of the nose got some color and clear this weekend. I also painted my mirrors so as not to waste the paint I had mixed up. Next I will be dragging the car back into the booth to work on about 5 or six different areas of body work that are not quite right. So final color still a couple of weeks away. Just as well. Here in North Carolina it got down to 30 degrees overnight this weekend. I need it to be a bit warmer than that.

Stevearino

Also since I modified the windshield bed I had to layout and drill for my windshield trim clips. Best done now before it is painted in case I slip with the drill which I never do. :lol:

So now for a minor rant. Since I started this project I have been dreading dealing with the airbag situation. I need to do that soon and thought I had found the answer to my dilemma with a company called "myairbag.com" out of Georgia. They sell resistors to replace bags for diagnostic purposes but better yet if you send the module to them they will reset it for a fee. I had purchased replacement bags and belts but realized that reinstalling the passenger bag would be extremely dangerous. Should it go off it would take out the windshield bed and send shrapnel everywhere. So and emulator resistor would be the ticket to complete the circuit. I have had no luck finding out what the proper ohms resistance  would be needed to emulate the bag so I described the situation in detail about the project to them in an e-mail. Today I get a reply from customer service that they don't have any parts for cars older than 1995 so they can't help me.  REALLY? NO 1968 AIRBAG PARTS? What the hell kind of company are they?  I politely asked them to re-read my request and look at the pictures I attached. Waiting for an entertaining reply.

mike69440

Steve,

What do you have planned for covering up the cowl , wiper Motors, etc.?

You ar making great progress.

Stevearino

Quote from: mike69440 on April 11, 2016, 06:30:35 PM
Steve,

What do you have planned for covering up the cowl , wiper Motors, etc.?

You ar making great progress.

I didn't want to have to make you dig back through the whole thread to find this so here is a picture of the finished piece.

Cha11engerD

So what's the plan for the interior? Are you going to do all the upholstery yourself as well?

Stevearino

Quote from: Cha11engerD on April 11, 2016, 07:23:37 PM
So what's the plan for the interior? Are you going to do all the upholstery yourself as well?

I have already done the fabrication on the interior so once the car is painted I won't have to get in and out of it a bunch of times taking a chance of dinging the paint. That still might happen though :-\. Nature of the beast.

Dino

And here I thought I'd be the first one to have the seat belts mounted on the rear pad.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NYCMille

I'm just blown away by the workmanship that's gone into this car - amazing and inspiring.  :2thumbs:

keepat

Steve,
AWESOME job on the headliner!!!
Pat

qwick68

68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

mike69440

Thank you,  You Plan ahead.
The best compliment I can give is that you built the car tastefully and stylishly, as well as strategically planning the effort, and executing the work with superb skill and detail.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Stevearino on April 11, 2016, 08:16:00 PM

I have already done the fabrication on the interior so once the car is painted I won't have to get in and out of it a bunch of times taking a chance of dinging the paint. That still might happen though :-\. Nature of the beast.

I like your feet.  :callme:

cdr

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 14, 2016, 04:14:13 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on April 11, 2016, 08:16:00 PM

I like your feet.  :callme:

LOL  looks like Steve started wearing toe nail polish   :rofl:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr